Canoe Build-along

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It has been a while since i started this thread and i didn't get around to updating it as i first intended. However, i have now finished the canoe and have taken it out on the water over the last couple of days. It paddles a treat...

I have completed the build along article which can be seen on my website here:
http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/sof-skin-on-frame-canoe-3.htm

I hope the article inspires a few people to have a go at making a similar canoe. You can make one of these for very little money and with some patience you'll be paddling the lakes before long.

like i said in my full article, I cant put into words how satisfying it feels to step into and paddle a canoe
you have made. Canoeing is the nearest thing to physical poetry that I know...

canoe-series1_small.jpg

IMG_6077s.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

Dude, you're an absolute legend!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Wow! Awesome work, I'll bet that's a real satisfaction to just look at, never mind paddle! thanks for sharing.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wow that is extremely impressive Jon. Can I ask, what your background is? Are you a bench hand, or a time served joiner, or just a skilled hobbyist?
Thanks.

Edit. I see you've got a BA in Fine Art, so I'll assume you're self taught. Amazing that you did it with no plans....Did you make up the design as you went along?

Love your sculptures.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE