Building a cabin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi Hootchi,
Just a thought, have you considered some thing like a Sangah? As from the pics I can see alot of rocks around , and then put a low "A" frame type roof over the top, I saw some thing similar during my Norse history classes at uni and they seem to be across between a dug in sangah and a sod house and were very common in that area of the world at one point.
I hope this is helpful... Karl

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
What I thought was if you could scrounge say 9 same size pallets that would give a good solid base and be self draining because of the slats. You could buy 1 metre lengths of stud bar each cut into 3 with nuts to fit should make long enough bolts to anchor two pallets together through the blocks.
Dave.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Good luck with your cabin building everyone, I finally finished the one in my garden yesterday.....I started it 18 months ago! lol

Anyway, here's a few pics, it needs a bit of decoration and weathering but it'll loo pretty good in a few years time ;)

Logcabin002.jpg

Logcabin006.jpg

Logcabin007.jpg

Well, I like it anyway :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
looks good Bam, is it just a flat floor sat on the ground or did you dig some kind of foundations? did you saw/split the cladding?

looks like a good fire wood pile you got in the back ground there too ;)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Nice one Bam, great work! :You_Rock_

As an idea:
Is the building strong enough to have some grass growing on the roof?
If so I believe that it would give a nice look and great insulation for the cabin.

cheers
Abbe

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tomtom said:
looks good Bam, is it just a flat floor sat on the ground or did you dig some kind of foundations? did you saw/split the cladding?

looks like a good fire wood pile you got in the back ground there too ;)

Thanks Tom, I'm really pleased with it. The floor is foot deep concrete on about another foot of hardcore....long story but I had some major earth and stone issues in my garden when we first moved in and I needed somewhere to bury it all :)

We need the big wood piles as all the heating in our house is run off it, being carbon neutral it's somewhat better for the enviroment than burning gas all the time. Those two stores are only the cut and split stuff, if you could see 180 degrees towards the house there's about three times that ammount stacked up waiting for me to cut and split it :eek:

Cheers Abbe, compliments on a cabin from somebody in Sweden means a lot :) , it's more than strong enough to use grass sods on the roof but I don't think the mrs would go for it and to be honest it never gets that cold in god's little acre to need it ;)

I cut the grass today and put up a few bits on the outside to make it look nicer...I'll get another piccy later and stick it up too :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Abbe Osram said:
Nice one Bam, great work! :You_Rock_

As an idea:
Is the building strong enough to have some grass growing on the roof?
If so I believe that it would give a nice look and great insulation for the cabin.

cheers
Abbe

I thought the same when I saw it. I think it would look amazing with a grass roof. Only problem being that if you're in a teperate reagion it'll grow faster and heavier and hoiking the fkymo up might be an issue!...

Ben

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
No longer seaworthy boats can be picked up for next to nothing. There are lots of ways you can use an old boat for shelter - anything from a decommissioned trawler to an old rowing boat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE