Bruce Parry Tribe 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
led said:
Here's an interview with Bruce Parry which mentions it, and also has some info about the second series.

Mate , thanks for the interview. I really like that he is soo dam honest.
I was missing such honesty in the survival and bushcrafter world.
There is way too much romantism.

I really liked this part:

(snip)

Do you ever feel like staying on at the end of your visit?
No. I don’t. I’m often very lonely and I’m looking forward to clean sheets and a nice bath. I understand the beauty of being in those places and I make strong personal friendships, but I do find it hard. People are a little disappointed by that. They love to think that I could stay there forever, but it’s a sad fact that I miss my iPod, and I miss girlfriends and family life.

(snip)

Thanks mate, for sharing!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I shall tue in to this for sure,1st series was very interesting.Thanks for the reminder!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Lots of info on the previous and new Tribe series on the BBC web site here:

BBC2 - Tribe

They have a web exclusive recorded interview on the new series (in RealPlayer format) here:

Bruce Parry Interview

and video clip from the first episode (not from outside the UK nand you need broadband connection apparently) here:

'Episode 1 - Nyangatom'

Also some funny Out-Takes :)

BBc 'Tribe' - Out-Takes

There is more stuff which is viewable outside the UK also here:

Discovery Channel, Going Tribal

They have a good 20 minute Podcast interview too, download here:

Discovery Channel - 'Going Tribal Podcast With Bruce Parry

Programme Synopsis for the new series (3 programmes in all):
Return to Africa
Bruce returns to southwest Ethiopia to visit the Suri tribe, his hosts during Season 1. After an emotional reunion with old friends, Bruce announces his intention to travel south through the Omo Valley to visit the Nyangatom people, arch enemies of the Suri. The Nyangatom, also known as the Bume, are one of the most feared Omo tribes. To truly become one of the Nyangatom, Bruce must prove himself and become a member of the Ibex — the warrior class.

Rites of Passage: The Hamar
Bruce visits the Hamar people, who live in the fertile hills of southwest Ethiopia. Their culture is rich, too, and the tribe is known for its spectacular celebrations, dancing and adornments. The tribe invites Bruce to participate in a male initiation ceremony. If he successfully runs and jumps over the backs of cattle four times, he will be considered a Hamar man and able to marry. Bruce lives with another initiate and his family as they get ready for the ceremony. With two weeks until the jump, he has a lot to learn and little time to practice if he is to pass this test of nerve and athletic skill.

Crocodile Hunting
Bruce arrives at the shores of Lake Turkana, in Ethiopia's Omo Valley. This area is home to the Dassanech fishermen. Unlike the other groups of the valley, the Dassanech don't live as cattle herders. They fish for giant Nile perch and hunt crocodile and hippo in the lake and river delta. Bruce is adopted as a son by the charismatic Abranetch. She is central to village life and to Bruce's time with the Dassanech. He is introduced to their different clans, amongst them the rainmaker, scorpion and crocodile peoples. Bruce joins them in the deadly business of hunting huge crocodiles with a wooden harpoon.
The BBC do an excellent page for each tribe, giving lots more detail and background from the programmes, for instance the one for the tonight is here:

BBC - Tribe - Nyangatom Tribe

Really helps to understand some of the wider issues of tribal life.

And, if you think 3 programmes is just not enough, there will be a 'Tribe 3' with 6 programmes, now in production:
Tribe III

The filming of Tribe III starts in 2006 and will be another six hour long episodes seeing Bruce live with indigenous peoples from around the world.

Still in production, Tribe III will transmit some time in 2007
source: http://www.endeavourproductions.com/default.asp?section=47&page=1289

:D
andyn Maybe just maybe a DVD of series 1 might be available at some point - I only saw two from the first series and really wish I could watch the others.

Oh well, will set the dvd this time around.
Apparently the production team really want to bring one out and are negotiating with the BBC. The latest series with co-produced with the Discovery Channel so I expect a DVD with further series. Details from email from Endevour Productions:
Just received an email from Endeavour Productions about possible dvd being brought out:

“Unfortunately we have not yet agreed on a deal with the BBC about rights and royalties. This is now in their hands. We are desperate to get this under-way as we have many requests for the series.

I am hopeful that by the end of the Spring we will have sealed the deal. Watch out for it as I’m certain it will be well advertised.

I can’t tell you about repeat dates either as we are not told until the last minute. (can’t imagine why seeing that they have not yet released the DVD set)

Bruce is also writing a book at the moment about his experiences with the various tribes visited. This will be an excellent read but unavailable until July 2007.
source: http://www.perfect.co.uk/2005/01/tribe#comment-17497

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Great stuff really looking forward to it tonight. The first series was amazing.
Apparently there's also a series due out fairly soon called 'the great race' about a re-creation of Scott and Amundsens race to the north pole but I can't find much info on it.

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
Anyone got any ideas what the wooden tool/item the bumse were carrying, aside from the AK's? Great episode from Bruce , it never ceases to amaze me his ability to intergrate with the tribes he visits and his nerve to take part in all the rituals. Top bloke!

fiacha

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
sabre iom said:
Anyone got any ideas what the wooden tool/item the bumse were carrying, aside from the AK's? Great episode from Bruce , it never ceases to amaze me his ability to intergrate with the tribes he visits and his nerve to take part in all the rituals. Top bloke!

it looked like the stool they were using around the camp.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I missed it too, coz of the dreaded Work thing.
Will miss next weeks due to the same thing.
And the week after, as I'll be at the Bushmoot....... unless anyone is planning on taking a portable TV and inviting everybody around ;)

Ogri the trog

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I managed to see it and as with the last series, I liked it. I like the way that he immerses himself in the tribes way of life, living as the others do.

Brian

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I thought it was fantastic. I have to admit that I came over a bit emotional at the part where he completed his last part of the initiation rites. It wasn't the killing of the cow but the whole dialogue after where they were saying things like 'Bruce our lion' and 'he is one of us' and all those things like they truely welcomed him even though at the time he didn't understand/know what they were saying. It brought a lump to my throat (and I hadn't even been drinking! :lmao: )

Those guys aren't ones for firelighting are they? Thirsty? Just poke a hole in a cow! Initially I felf amazed and quite squeamish but then felt humility as I watched their way of life.

On a lighter note, I found myself laughing aloud at their random comments about Bruce...

'look at him, he spits like a child'
'look at him dance, he's rubbish'
'I will give him a beating so that he will always remember me ;) '

The old man was the best though...

'You are now my son!. You will herd the goats and be sure to look after them well - OR I WILL PUNISH YOU!'

Yes Sir :(

Matt.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
what a fantastic program great viewing i seem to like his jungle trips more than his trips in to Africa these seem to be very arid and full of people killing each other and living in fear rather than harmony with plants and animals still great tv though

James

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I enjoyed the programme but IMO all of the programmes in the 1st series were better than this one. There seemed to be a lot of blood drinking going on, and as for eating the clotted blood :yuck:. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though, just I remember enjoying the 1st series more. - Still....... 2 more to go in this series which I'm looking forward to.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It was fascinating to see a type of warrior culture still in operation and see why in an area with such great competition over resources why it was still necessary.
Bruce looked more than a little worried when all the men ran off with their weapons leaving only him and the women behind!

J

jojomad

No doubt you'll have seen it by now - fascinating series and Bruce is just fab! I personally think the bowl of blood beat the rat porridge in terms of 'ewwww' value!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE