Brockwell Woods Meet - March 2011

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
i sleep on me side and the hammock puts me on my back thru the night,..so i end up snoring and wake myself (and anyone within a mile) up

it was my first time in a hammock and i was worried about sleeping on my back but to be honest i was on my side and had a cracking nights sleep and never fell out :D shame i had to get out so early

but it might just be the way i put it up ;)

i would n't mind trying the ground option though may have to invest in a bivvy bag

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
file up the tang ready for next time and we can HT it for you........

File the tang? That would take about 4 years. Do you reckon I could bring a file so I could could forge, file, and heat treat next time? Or would that be too much? Am I going to have to bite the bullet and use some power tools?

And also Marks goonies impressions! best laugh for ages :)

Glad you were entertained. That's how I talk at home. I just put on a reasonable voice for public use.

i took took the crayfish with me,..,...

not as popular as i thought

They were fantastic. The first shellfish that I have really liked. I can handle others but the crayfish was lovely. It's just a shame there's so little on them. I should have taken some home but I don't think I was in a position to think properly on the Sunday. Then again, when am I? Cheers for bringing them.

i have always been very proud of my meat stick,...:):):)

Hahaha. It's always got to be rude with you. Glad I burnt that sock, who knows what you would have done with it, haha.

14. Always bring a south african to carry stuff!

Hahaha. I agree. I might have to catch me one.

it was my first time in a hammock

Mine too and it was great! I felt I was well able able to toss and turn as well. Don't know the youngfella managed to fall out. And his was about 6 foot off the ground, ouch!

Thanks to everyone for their photos. It's always ince to see it from different perspectives. Thanks again to Rich for the stylish lift, don't spend it all in the one shop. Thanks to everyone for being there. Thanks to Chris for organising it all and sharing his expertise and forge building skills. Etc.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
i've been asked repeatedly what we did before we started drinking on saturday.
i had extolled great plans of making a crook and watching demonstrations of other worthy and constructive activities.........

my only explaination..... i blew up some rocks.:headbang:

surely i did something else?:togo:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
hahahaha i completely forgot about the exploding rocks,....

throwing hot bannock mix 50 feet across camp,......it was like a pizza shop back counter,...

hahahahaha

did you set a time delay on some too,...we had an incedent long after you left .....

dint Joely narrowly escape a bad case of death from one of em,..?

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
haha forgot about the rock grenades :cool:

and adam falling from 6 foot up was funny never knew a skinny lad could make such a thump and not break something but it was a nice demo of how not to use your hammock :lmao:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
exploding rocks, I had one on Chris' fire whilst a few inches away. Then I went back to my fire only to find out he had planted some exploding eggs!

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
exploding rocks, I had one on Chris' fire whilst a few inches away. Then I went back to my fire only to find out he had planted some exploding eggs!

oh sheeesh yeah,.,...i,d forgotten bout those too,....

why can i only remember the drive there, fragmented bits of spoon making, a crayfish on my face, then the drive home,...?

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
i've been asked repeatedly what we did before we started drinking on saturday.
i had extolled great plans of making a crook and watching demonstrations of other worthy and constructive activities.........

my only explaination..... i blew up some rocks.:headbang:

surely i did something else?:togo:

You were an active thesaurus during most of the day, notably caramalised :D

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
...and a few from me.

My home for the weekend.

home.jpg

General view of the hammock camp.

camp-burger-burner.jpg

Andy relaxing.

andy-hammock.jpg

Better than the telly.

telly.jpg

Those tasty crayfish!

crayfish-1.jpg

An interesting log, well, it was to me.

log.jpg

Nice to see a full blown electric wood gas stove in the flesh.

shiny-things.jpg

This didn't work as well as I'd hoped, but the moon was certainly large and bright, a shame my photography skills didn't do it justice.

moon.jpg

Sunday morning saw a breakfast of sausage and eggs. Rich seemed in his element.

sausage-king.jpg

This was the sheath made by Tyler over the weekend. A cracking job he made of it too.

tyler-sheath.jpg

Joel's sheath, also made over the weekend. Another great example of 'in the field' leather work.

joel-sheath.jpg

All in all, a brilliant weekend. Thanks again to everyone for making it so good.

Al

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Looks like a great weekend you guys had, I tried to hammock last weekend but it was far too cold up this neck of the woods, seeing these pics makes me want it to be warm soooo much :D

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Looks like a great weekend you guys had, I tried to hammock last weekend but it was far too cold up this neck of the woods, seeing these pics makes me want it to be warm soooo much :D

Sounds like you need an underblanket, they make a huge difference. Even a carry mat/thermarest cuts a lot of the wind chill which makes a hammock cold.

This was my second weekend with a hammock, the first last Sept. I had a weekend in Oct in a bivvy and immediately missed the hammock, I must say that after years of ground dwelling I'm hooked on the warmth and comfort of a hammock. They're not suitable for all eventualities, but for me, it's now a case of hammock when I can, ground dwell when I have to.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE