Bridge handrail project with a foxtail wedge tenon joint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Been busy in the woods again, this time making some handrails for bridges.
No screws or nails used with the exception of bolting the uprights to the bridge bearers to hopefully stop vandalism.
The top handrails are secured with a foxtail wedge tenon which is a really strong locking joint and the lower rails are pegged with edges added.
Overall really happy with the result especially as it was my first attempt plus without help and work bench etc it did take quite a bit of time to complete.

The original had handrails but had been vandalised for firewood as they were only nailed, there is about 5-6ft drop so the rail was desperately needed.
(no idea why this image is shown upside down?)
WP_20161113_09_57_00_Pro.jpg

All the wood is from coppiced hazel which is generally my wood of choice as it's always available and easily replaced if needed.
With the failing light of winter I managed to get two posts fitted after work each day.

WP_20161115_16_35_44_Pro.jpg

Once the posts were all in the fun began with handrails, this was a bit of fun finding a 4m+ length of straight hazel was interesting, connecting the rail to the post was the foxtail wedge tenon
First you cut a normal tenon then cut two slots near the edges, these slots with then enable a wedge to be fitted which locks the joint firmly.

WP_20161120_14_02_55_Pro.jpg WP_20161123_15_38_59_Pro.jpg WP_20161123_15_44_07_Pro.jpg WP_20161123_15_47_02_Pro.jpg

Because the whole job was done out in the woods after cutting each joint I then had to move on to the next as well as aligning the posts with the natural bends and twists of the wood.
So the finished job probably took around 30hrs to complete which includes walking to the site and back with tools etc. I also managed to build a smaller 2.5mtr section as a tester to my idea.

WP_20161126_15_56_06_Pro.jpg WP_20161218_13_14_20_Pro.jpg WP_20161217_13_15_21_Pro.jpg WP_20161218_13_13_58_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a nice job of work there; I hope the bad folk respect it and leave it in place after your efforts.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Cool bit of work there, i really like the all wood connections and 'from there' feel to it

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Nice work - and it is good to see a realistic timescale included. Too often these pictures are put up and the impression is given that the whole job took 30min.

Is the hazelwood from the same forest? That's quite big for coppiced hazelwood.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Good work, well done.

There are several similar bridges in woodland that I frequent and they are so regularly damaged that it isn't yet worth repair until the culprits have either been dealt with or grown up and moved on. That stated, the last person that I challenged in the act was at least 30!:(

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
The hazel is mainly from the same forest and a bit from another local wood as I began to run out of the coppiced wood from last year.
I am currently talking to the National Trust who own the site to reinstate a coppicing plan that was used in the 80's the site has not been looked after for some time until I started looking after it last year. I can get a volunteer team in a few times a year but nothing on a regular basis and then only really for clearing and coppicing work.
All the footpaths, boardwalks, steps and handrail builds and repair have been a year+ project for me, fortunately the NT have confidence in my site knowledge (45yrs +) and ability to let me get on with the upkeep with very little intervention. Some help with patrols would be nice especially the summer when the camping, fire and parties start but that's another story.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE