Brass Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The silva compass idea was to combine a compass and a protractor in one unit. Before that you either used a separate protractor or you made a reasonable guess.

Since most people line up to grid north and never bother to factor in the magnetic variation a good guess is probably just as acurate.

I've said this before but I used to walk the hills of Westmorland when I was a lad in an old anorak (not waterproof), jeans and shoes. I didn't own a compass, I had an old Bartholomew half inch series map and some Kendal mint cake.

I still rarely use a compass to navigate though I carry one, and my GPS is just used occasionally for finding ancient features not shown on the map.

I learnt to navigate by looking at the land and the sky, knowing where I was, where I had come from and where I was going.

Sometimes I think this "head up, brain on" approach is becoming lost amidst the responsible, safety first brigade.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying safety isn't important, but I have met many people on the hills with all the right gear, that have no clue as to where they really are!

They can point to a map and say "we're on this path" (Often they're nowhere near it.) but if you ask them where they are going in the landscape or where they crossed the horizon they have no idea.

Owning the right kind of compass is not substitute for knowing how to navigate.

All I can say is it's a good job most hills are covered with paths and other walkers to follow because half of these people are lost even bofore they start out.

Reactions: bambodoggy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I totally agree with Wayland. A guy on SAS selection on the hills of the Brecon Beacons started to follow the guy in front who had his bergen and waterproofs on. He followed him for quite a while and eventually caught him up. He said to the guy how are you doing, not long to go now is it? and the other chap said what are you on about, I'm just out for a walk today. He was a hill walker wearing military kit and the guy had followed him without checking his map, thinking he was on the right course. He didn't know where he was so asked the hillwalker and he was 7km off course. He had to back track to get on course, didn't make the time and failed selection!

I love it when you say to someone, show me where you think you are on the map, and they point to the map with their big sausage finger and say There! Oh, in that grid square under your big fat sausage finger somewhere then, eh??!! Please, use the tip of a knife, a twig or a blade of grass to point on a map!!

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I also agree, far too many people ignore all the infomation on their maps (and OS maps are the best in the world!) and just blindly follow a path, or their compass bearing.
A competent navigator should be able to work out where they are by using time, map features, including contour line intervals, and pacing.
I am not saying a compass is not essential, but it is only one tool in a navigators toolbox.
I use a Silva type 4 and have a Silva type 56 for taking accurate bearings.
Probably the most useful feature on the type 4 is the magnifying glass, as you can really see all the tiny features in 1:50,000 maps.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Cheers for that Wayland, I must admit I totally agree with you, I don't use a compass any where near as much as my other half. I tend to rely on how the landscape look and whether it matches with how it should look from the map, the compass is there as a back up.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
A word of warning. I have discovered that some compasses being sold on the Internet as "Dalvey" are sometimes not actually that brand but "knockoffs."

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Wayland,

This site has a number of vintage pocket compasses (and a host of other gems). I have bought from them and both their descriptions and service are excellent.

http://www.kitefarm.com/oregontrailmercantile/categories.htm

Most of these are not liquid filled but many were nicely made instruments of their time. This old Singer has my eye....

1911c76e0.jpg

Old forestry compasses are a category I have to avoid looking at. :D

My overall favorite "pocket" compass is the Leupold Sportsman....hard to find but much handier than the standard pocket type. Some, like this one, have both standard and forestry (reverse) cardinal points.

220ac7840.jpg

I too recommend avoiding the Stanley models.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Not sure I entirely agree.

My usual yomping ground is Darrtmoor and a few times I've had to rely on bearings and pacing/timing. In poor visibility contours are not enough information if you can't be sure you are mainting direction.

Anyway, got a G150 shown here: http://www.sirs.co.uk/military.htm

Decent piece of precision kit, if a little heavy. Seems a great compass but it's a Mils one and I work in degrees. The conversions from one to the other isn't easy in your head! 360 degrees = 6400 mils :banghead: . The manufacturer didn't reply when I enquired about changing the card and needle. For walking on a bearing and sighting it would be a great compass but, no, it won't do the protractor bit. I think Silva do a version of the type 54 with prismatic sighting on. I think I'll be sticking with my current Silva till the bezel markings are unreadable and then get one of those.

My Sister and Brother in law had a little incident in the Lake district. They saw another group ahead who seemed to be going the same way as them. After a little way the other party started heading in a bit of a strange direction. Roge checked the map and the other party were heading away from the path towards some cliffs. Bex and Roge decided that the other party looked a little underequipped so they caught up and checked how they were doing. Turned out the other party were lost. Bex and Roge ended up giving them all of there spare clothes and guiding them off the hill. Yes, that Brecons story sounds all too familiar. A silly mistake, but probably all too common.

One I heard a while ago:

Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow for I may not lead.

leon-1

Ben Trout said:

Yes, I have one, they are very accurate and working in mils is actually far better than working in degrees for trudging across land.

You can get these in degrees (I have seen them before), but the majority are in mils. Using the mils scale is very handy as it allows people to use what the military call MKA theory (mils, kilometers, angle) and as such distances can be worked out by reading an angle from a set of binoculars with a reticule pattern in them.

leon-1

Topcat02 said:
Thats some mate! :)

We served together in the forces, it was a bit of a tradition that this got passed from one to the next to the next within my platoon. When he left he gave it to me and said "don't pass it on as it has nothing to do with them". I had a word with a few people that I trusted and they agreed that the compass stopped at me, so I still have it.

He was leaving for a couple of reasons and one was the amalgamation of two units (it wouldn't of been quite so bad if the unit they had amalgamated us with had been from the same division), but the "them" that he was talking about was the other unit.

If we had not amalgamated it would probably still be doing the rounds being passed from one senior soldier to the next within recce untill people laughed at them because the inbuilt GPS and digital compasses were far superior (untill of course your batteries run flat).

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
redflex said:
http://www.stanleylondon.com/sextcomp.htm are mainly copies and designed as decoration items I would not trust them as a compass to navigate by, have spoke to them about buying items in the past

About seven or eight years ago, I bought one of these for each of my sons and one for me. My compass works fine and has had a lot of use. Two of my son's compasses work fine. The third son's compass - the needle came loose almost immediately. I wouldn't buy another.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE