Brass Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Apart from the Marbles compass does anyone know of a good quality brass pocket compass, preferably with a closing case.

I've seen a few fob compass replicas but they are all dry types and I would prefer a liquid damped one if available.

I just can't afford a military prismatic at £200+, they are rather tasty but they are a bit too bulky.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
They look good but I was looking for something more like this.
compwwipocket2.jpg

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I and most people that have been in the Army have used a prismatic compass.

They are very good for taking bearings and great for marching on a bearing.

I do have a couple of these trunord keyring compasses and they are great

150C-130x180.jpg

K

KenC

redflex said:
http://www.stanleylondon.com/sextcomp.htm are mainly copies and designed as decoration items I would not trust them as a compass to navigate by, have spoke to them about buying items in the past

...more to the point, and not trying to be funny but I don't see how you can take an accurate bearing from a map with most of these. There doesn't seem to be any way to line up with grid north.

Or is that just my ignorance? Can anyone enlighten me?

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
Go with the Dalvey. They are really cool and appear to be the real thing. As someone said, I have a few of the others and they seem to be copies and of questionable accuracy for the most part. The next questions are -do they have to be absolutely accurate? And with a compass is there such a thing as absolutely accurate? :dunno:
Steve

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
KenC said:
...more to the point, and not trying to be funny but I don't see how you can take an accurate bearing from a map with most of these. There doesn't seem to be any way to line up with grid north.

You would figure out the bearing by using a protractor. They could be as simple as a school one for degrees, but the military use a special protractor with mils. Then you convert the reading onto your compass and off you go.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
KenC said:

I guess it depends on your use for a compass.

Myself, I rarely use a compass to follow a course on a map. If I am It would be the corrected Silva from my nav. kit, not a pocket compass.

My most usual requirement I have for a compass is to check the sun position for photography and for that a pocket job will be perfect.

I'll probably even add a position table in the lid to save me looking it up from my notebook.

I've ordered a Dalvey compact. I'll let you know what I think of it and we'll see how it stands the altitude in Norway this summer too.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ok this may seem a really stupid question but I'm used to using silva compasses and looking at those... how do you line them up on a map accurately when you can't see through the backing plate and there didn't seem to be any other markings to use???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE