Bow drill workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Of course you're welcome Cronos that's why this is such a great forum everybody helps each other out. :D

From Bicester - straight down the A34 south - come off at Botley interchange and take A420 towards Swindon. Follow A420 for about 4 miles and take RH turn signed Appleton/Eaton follow through village to T-junction (there's a war memorial straight in front of you) TR at this junction and follow road to Farmer Gow's

Look forward to meeting you

Oct 18, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire, UK
falling rain said:
If everyone could bring some cord for their bows that would be helpful too, and of course your knives for carving the sets
Of course you can take your sets away with you at the end of the session.
I think that just about covers everything. If not give me a shout.

All the best :D

What type of cord? Will string do, or is it not strong enough?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
falling rain said:
It'll be a chilled and informal session I'm hoping Buckshot maybe able to give a hand and advise folks. (sorry Mark only if your not busy of course :p ) I havn't asked him yet so if your reading this Buckshot? :rolleyes: If Buckshot is busy that day we'll get by. :D
Lol :D
Nick, yes I am free that day. :D
It'd be a pleasure to come along.

As a rough guide to location it's about 4-5 miles west of Oxford. So from Bicester, probably about 20 -25 minuets. It's dead easy to find.

Cheers

Mark

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
No probs Phil562 you're all welcome.

And Buckshot, that's great news it'll be great to have you there to help - very much appreciated :You_Rock_

Are you any good at chopping veg? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Just kidding - I'll do most of that before everyone gets there, so we'll have more time bow drilling.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hi I'm in, will put it in my diary

I figured out bow drill by my self (with a little reading and pointers in conversation with others) so some more instruction and a bit of practice would be very handy. I'm pretty good a chopping veg and i can help out with begginers if you need another set of hands.

James

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Well you can count me in, as I have confirmed that I am not working on the 18th. :)

Grez..

P.S. Let me know if you want a hand chopping veggies or anything as I can always come down a bit earlier.

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
I'd love to come along. A great offer thanks

I haven't managed to master this by myself and could certainly use a few pointers. i'm beginning to wonder whether the trick is slight of hand with a box of matches.

falling rain, if you need a hand I can get there earlier no problem.

Thanks
Steve

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
The lady who owns the farm has agreed to let people camp if they want to. £3 per person per night. toilets and showers are available. you'll have to bring your own food or eat at the pub nearby in the evening. it's a small village so not a lot around in the way of shops. There is a village shop which will be open on the sunday/monday morning.
I'm doing the stew for the people attending the workshop on sunday afternoon.
I'll be camping too so I'll show everyone where everything is. I was planning to go for a drink at the village pub after the workshop so if folks want to have a drink the camping will be available so you don't need to drive.
Thanks for the offers of help from everyone. If you want to come along a little earlier say 12 - 12:30 tyo give a hand with a few jobs that would be great :You_Rock_
Looking forward to it

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've never actually seen the camping area so don't know. There may well be a few trees but I'd go with a tent to be on the safe side, or bring both and if trees are there you can take your pick.
A fire wouldn't be a problem but can we stick with a communal fire for everyone please. We can keep a brew on, keep warm, and cook on the same fire.
First person to get an ember at the workshop who's never got an ember before can do the honours :p

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Nick...Your assuming that those who have never got embers before (me including) will be able to this time :lmao:

But with your help and that of the rest of you clever clogs :You_Rock_ i'm hopeful i might get there.

Fingers crossed :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
andyn said:
Nick...Your assuming that those who have never got embers before (me including) will be able to this time :lmao:

But with your help and that of the rest of you clever clogs :You_Rock_ i'm hopeful i might get there.

Fingers crossed :D

You'll get an ember andyn. :D That's what the workshop is about. At Glastonbury I did about 30 workshops with individuals over the 3 days and everyone except 2 people, managed to get an ember. Of the 2 who didn't manage it, One young chap was on the razz the night before and was exhausted before he'd even started, and the other wasn't really interested in giving it a good shot and gave up after the first attempt. some will manage it quicker than others but I hope everyone will have done it by the end of the workshop or at least be very close and be able to go away with the techniques. :D

Oct 18, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire, UK
falling rain said:
I was planning to go for a drink at the village pub after the workshop so if folks want to have a drink the camping will be available so you don't need to drive.

I would love to camp but I have collage in the morning :( . But I will join you for that drink, if that's ok, as I will be getting a lift from my parents because I can't drive! :beerchug:

cronos

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2005
Norfolk
falling rain said:
The lady who owns the farm has agreed to let people camp if they want to. £3 per person per night. toilets and showers are available. you'll have to bring your own food or eat at the pub nearby in the evening. it's a small village so not a lot around in the way of shops. There is a village shop which will be open on the sunday/monday morning.
I'm doing the stew for the people attending the workshop on sunday afternoon.
I'll be camping too so I'll show everyone where everything is. I was planning to go for a drink at the village pub after the workshop so if folks want to have a drink the camping will be available so you don't need to drive.
Thanks for the offers of help from everyone. If you want to come along a little earlier say 12 - 12:30 tyo give a hand with a few jobs that would be great :You_Rock_
Looking forward to it

I will be staying out on the Sunday night, however is there any possibility to back the camping out to Saturday night as well?

Cronos

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Not really cronos. Sorry. She's agreed to the sunday but I think asking about the saturday would be pushing it. If you want to get there early though no problem. There's a campsite in Oxford at Touchwood sports.which is about a 20 minute drive from the farm it's not bushcraft friendly though but they do have showers etc, and it's open 365 days a year so I can give you details of that if you like.
There's everything nearby you need pub, for meal etc, but as I say you won't be able to have a fire etc. Let me know if you want the details :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE