Bow drill workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
There's been lots of questions recently about fire by friction using bow drill, so I thought I'd run a workshop for people on bcuk who havn't quite got to grips with this method of fire lighting yet and would like to.
It will be open to everyone in bcuk community and will be completely free. I would ask if people didn't mind they could make a donation to the woodland trust http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/ if they want to, but that is not compulsory it's entirely up to you.
The date is sunday 11th December 2005 at Farmer Gow's activity farm, Appleton, Oxford, from 1pm - 4pm (We can go a bit longer if we need to)There'll be a bowl of stew for everyone to keep us warm so bring your mess tins and spoons.
We'll cover - woods to use, selection/condition of wood, making your set including various ways of rigging up your bow, natural tinders (I love 'em) :D
and advice when drilling, posture and iron out any problems people are having with any aspects of bow drilling
We'll select our wood for the bows and bearing blocks and make those components ourselves. I will provide drills and hearths.
Directions - take A420 Oxford to Swindon road turn off at Appleton/ Eaton sign - through village to T-junction - Turn right and follow road for about 1 mile to Farmer Gow's (big green sign)
Tony has OK'd me to post this - so a big thanks to Tony :You_Rock_
Should be a good social day for like minded people. Please let me know if you're coming so I'll have an idea of numbers to expect to get the stew organised and have enough drills and hearths.
Any questions give me a shout via PM
hope some of you can make it, and looking forward to meeting some community folks

Cheers :D

Reactions: Buckshot

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
What an excellent idea! I've had smoke before with a bow drill, but never teh ember to start tinder alight. If I can get away that day, then count me in. The donation idea is a good one as well.
Look forward to it!
Cheers
Yohny

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hey thats a great idea :You_Rock_

That will be a busy weekend for you then Nick :)

Will you be able to get back from the Dartmoor gathering in time :dunno: :)

May well consider coming straight up there myself as I have the Monday off work :D But i may well smell a bit by then :yikes: :lmao: :lmao:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Well done andyn for being the 1st person to spot my deliberate error :eek:
the workshop is on sunday the 18th of december 2005 because I'm in Dartmoor on the 11th - all timings info the same - If I had ANOTHER brain......I'd have 1 :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
:( :( Would love to be there, but think im going to be in Singapore working :( :(

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
I'm up for it, I have always wanted to learn this method of fire lighting.

I will confirm once I have double checked as I may be working that weekend.

Grez..

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Nick

what a fantastic idea :You_Rock_ Count me in as a definite, i may bring SWMBO, will let you know asap.

Looking forward to it, its about bloody time i got my fire lighting skills sorted

Could you provide a grid ref for the farm please.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Great stuff, looking good already.

Please be aware though that anyone travelling a long way, that it's an afternoon workshop and won't be possible to camp over night. If you want to travel a long distance to come along of course you're most welcome but you'll have to sort out your own sleeping arrangements.
Wolf man - I don't have the grid ref at the mo but I can definately get it for you. I'm at work at the moment and am working for the next few days so give me a few days and I'll post it in plenty of time. If you hit the Swindon road at Botley you'll see the turning for Appleton/Eaton on your right after about 3 miles. It's just off the A420

Of course if anyone wants to we can go for a beveroonie afterwards at the local hostelry :beerchug:

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Wolfman, if my reading of Nick's instructions are correct then it is approx SP447026 somewhere on the road linking Appleton to Eaton.

Does that sound about right Nick?

P.S a swift drink before heading home sounds like a grand idea :D

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
falling rain said:
There's been lots of questions recently about fire by friction using bow drill, so I thought I'd run a workshop for people on bcuk who havn't quite got to grips with this method of fire lighting yet and would like to.
It will be open to everyone in bcuk community and will be completely free. I would ask if people didn't mind they could make a donation to the woodland trust http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/ if they want to, but that is not compulsory it's entirely up to you.
The date is sunday 11th December 2005 at Farmer Gow's activity farm, Appleton, Oxford, from 1pm - 4pm (We can go a bit longer if we need to)There'll be a bowl of stew for everyone to keep us warm so bring your mess tins and spoons.
We'll cover - woods to use, selection/condition of wood, making your set including various ways of rigging up your bow, natural tinders (I love 'em) :D
and advice when drilling, posture and iron out any problems people are having with any aspects of bow drilling
We'll select our wood for the bows and bearing blocks and make those components ourselves. I will provide drills and hearths.
Directions - take A420 Oxford to Swindon road turn off at Appleton/ Eaton sign - through village to T-junction - Turn right and follow road for about 1 mile to Farmer Gow's (big green sign)
Tony has OK'd me to post this - so a big thanks to Tony :You_Rock_
Should be a good social day for like minded people. Please let me know if you're coming so I'll have an idea of numbers to expect to get the stew organised and have enough drills and hearths.
Any questions give me a shout via PM
hope some of you can make it, and looking forward to meeting some community folks

Cheers :D
Boy would i love to go got lots of time but to far plus gas to hi even if i fly i think i get lost over lots of water to cross so i just learn by my self hope not to burn shed down thanks for the invite.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
will be there with a another member of the forum (all being well)

will confirm in a day or two!

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Thanks in advance, Ive never got round to learning just what I am looking for I will bring a mate of mine with me so put me down for two places. No problem about the donation is their anything else you want brought along ?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Excellent stuff plenty of interest, and no limit on numbers for this so all welcome.
Bloodline - You only need to bring your mess tin/plate/bowl and a spoon (and cup for a brew) for the stew. I'll probably ask for a bit of help prepping the vegetables for the stew and I'm sure people will be willing to help with that. there'll be enough of us. I'll provide tea, coffee and herbal/fruit teas
I'm going to provide the drills and hearths as it will save time and people won't need to go round trying to find suitable wood for these, (with a lot of people this could take some time) but I will cover wood selection so you know what your looking for in the future. We can harvest wood for the other components from the woods on the farm.

The session will probably run

Finding and selection of suitable woods
prepping bow, bearing block, drill, and hearth
Natural tinders (I'll have a range of natural tinders to show you and explain where to find them) but we'll use meadow hay on the day again to save time and for ease
Lunch break
Demo by me with stage by stage explanations about technique, posture, etc
Everone has a go and I'll wander round checking progress and advising were necessary. Something along those lines anyway. It'll be a chilled and informal session I'm hoping Buckshot maybe able to give a hand and advise folks. (sorry Mark only if your not busy of course :p ) I havn't asked him yet so if your reading this Buckshot? :rolleyes: If Buckshot is busy that day we'll get by.
If everyone could bring some cord for their bows that would be helpful too, and of course your knives for carving the sets
Of course you can take your sets away with you at the end of the session.
I think that just about covers everything. If not give me a shout.

All the best :D

cronos

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2005
Norfolk
I am a newbie, but i would love to come along to the workshop, if i may?.
I will be in Bicester that weekend, how far away from Bicester is it.

Cronos

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE