Bow and arrow clubs, worth joining?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I fancy playing at bows and arrows and was wondering if I would benefit from joining an archery club. What are your experiences of being on an archery club? Are there any members of Gwynedd Bowmen here?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The first reward will be actually getting an accurate and professional opinion on the poundage and size of the bow for your draw and arm length.

It's a bit of a head scratch if you're just starting out , so that alone is a huge benefit.👍

Definitely worth joining in my humble opinion.

bearbait

A club will likely be able to lend you gear to get started so no upfront expense in case you decide you don't really like it. You get to see recurve and compound bows in action, possibly longbow and others. Even to try them. A club will likely have a coach so you learn proper technique. Also you'll get advice, as mentioned by Leshy above, on the sort of bow, arrow length, spine, etc. when you come to buy. Maybe the opportunity to buy a bow or limbs off a member when they upgrade their bows. Also it's a social thing.

Welcome!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Or you may think about joining a club that requires three months of mentoring even if you have been shooting since age 12 and have been a member of other clubs. Of course check out safety awareness and other matters but three months? Then there is the question of open shoots at clubs and meets. These are no longer open as they were but restricted to members of "archery's governing bodies", self-elected groups who presume to lay down the law on what should be a free sport.

More fun to get one's own wood and shoot with friends but some find clubs rewarding and at least provide a venue where you can shoot.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
You've normally got to do a 12 hour course over 6 weeks, 2 hours on a sat morning, which is just having a go really with some other newbies. I did that at a field archery club,[NFAS] in 2011, [shooting in woods at 3d targets] then joined a GB archery club cause it was 5 minutes away. I just had to show them that I had done it before and could shoot to get in. [Big Round targets in a field]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE