Ka-Bar fighting knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Hello All ,Just wondering if any forum members here either own or use the iconic US made Ka-Bar 1217 fighting knife or its smaller brother "The Short version" ? As a collector and former bushcraft user I have fancied one of these for many years but have never got round to buying one . After viewing other US sites and seen modified / customised versions I really fancy pulling the trigger on one . Be good to see some members photos of their Ka-Bars .
Thanks

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I was given one once by a sapper in the US army. I ended up passing it on to my moms husband who does reenactment stuff. It wasn’t until after that I realised how much money these things are now fetching. Oops!

Reactions: airborne09

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Dutch Bushcraft Knives did a review not to long ago. They were a popular knife with Australians ‘in the bush’ post WW2. They usually lopped off the top guard and drilled a lanyard hole. The marines would notch the guard making a solar scale for time and direction.
KaBar makes the most pleasing cosmetic version.
A modified version was added based on a TV series Sons of Anarchy about bikers. Now all sorts of testosterone challenged types are packing KaBars in the open carry areas of California.
In real world use, it’s comparable to the big MK4 utility knife but far more fragile.
Guy pulled one on me at a desert petrol station. I pulled my Fairbarn.
He roared off on his Harley rendering the one finger salute.
That’s the evisceral aura they produce.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I remember we all looked at them in the PX in Bahrain and Kuwait. Most were emblazoned with memorial markings. The only one that appealed to me was the USN Mk1 ( I think it's called that)

I watched the film PT107 JFK's exploits. I'm not using it as an historic reference but all the sailors seemed to have a large knife on their belt beyond the needs of seamanship.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
I remember we all looked at them in the PX in Bahrain and Kuwait. Most were emblazoned with memorial markings. The only one that appealed to me was the USN Mk1 ( I think it's called that)

I watched the film PT107 JFK's exploits. I'm not using it as an historic reference but all the sailors seemed to have a large knife on their belt beyond the needs of seamanship.
yeh I know the one you mean , its supposed to be an ok model .

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
They have a very weak tang, not good for bushcraft
yeh , Ive heard and it is a bad design fault and a one that could be so easily corrected . I wont be using mine for anything too heavy .I think its a mistake many people in bushcraft make when they over use their particular knife . Its horses for courses , If I do any bushcraft I have a half decent axe , a Bahco wood saw , knife and a back up knife .

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California

Those were a different knife ( name escapes me at the moment) primarily a utility knife for opening supply crates etc.
they have an even weaker tang. The knives are OK within their limits. It’s repeated AB-use that starts to loosen things up and tang breakage. I saw a new KaBar dropped on cement and snap.
I was issued the 499 survival knife.
It is better than its detractor’s think.
But with a cornucopia of contemporary choices these knives fall into collectible VS field use.
They are still better than the AK47 bayonets !!!!!!

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
A bit like a Mora then?
With the possible exception of a #1
Moras have a not insubstantial handle adding strength and rigidity.
KaBars have stacked leather subject to shrinkage and working loose. Users also find cause to hammer the pommel. The larger package promotes a lot of overconfidence.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
For 30 years I have had an Ontario combat ostensibly a near identical knife, without the cache of the name Ka Bar. The Combat is a Genuine US Marine Corps field utility knife by Ontario Knife Company,

The classic Marine knife was introduced in the 1940's and became the field knife for the USMC. This is the current issue version of the knife that the Marines use. It is also the same as the marine knife used in Vietnam.

Specifications:
1095 Carbon steel with a zinc phosphate coating.
55 to 58 HRC hardness
  • Blade length 7" (18cm).
  • Overall length 12" (30cm).
  • Blade thickness 40mm
  • Black leather handle.
  • Black leather knife sheath with 4.5" belt loop

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
The KaBar WAS issued in WWII and primarily, but not exclusively to the USMC. It has not been service issue for many years. But, the history and allure have made it a stock PX item along with zippo lighters for newly minted jarheads
And substitute standard.
It’s an iconic knife; not as good as many, a whole lot better than even more.
If you like it, buy it. Great for opening a bag of crisps watching John Wayne in The Sands of Iwo Jima on the Telly.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
I bought mine at the Navy Exchange in Bahrain, think I paid something like $70 for it. It’s a good looking knife, holds a decent edge but otherwise is a bit shite.

Mine bent slightly after I pried an ammo tin open with it (no comments required on knife usage here), much to everyone’s great amusement. Thankfully it bent back into shape very easily, I went back to carrying a Pussers rigging set knife shortly after. 10/10 as a letter opener though.

9B8103CE-2069-40F8-B5D0-8758A7FD845F.jpeg

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
For 30 years I have had an Ontario combat ostensibly a near identical knife, without the cache of the name Ka Bar. The Combat is a Genuine US Marine Corps field utility knife by Ontario Knife Company,

The classic Marine knife was introduced in the 1940's and became the field knife for the USMC. This is the current issue version of the knife that the Marines use. It is also the same as the marine knife used in Vietnam.

Specifications:
1095 Carbon steel with a zinc phosphate coating.
55 to 58 HRC hardness
  • Blade length 7" (18cm).
  • Overall length 12" (30cm).
  • Blade thickness 40mm
  • Black leather handle.
  • Black leather knife sheath with 4.5" belt loop
Yeh I believe the ontario knives are still issue to the US military . I have no doubt that they are equal or possibly even better than the KA BAR 1217 , Aesthetically I just prefer the brown leather handle and sheath of the KA BAR (dont like coatings) . Are there any outlets / stockists in the UK for Ontario knives ?

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
I bought mine at the Navy Exchange in Bahrain, think I paid something like $70 for it. It’s a good looking knife, holds a decent edge but otherwise is a bit shite.

Mine bent slightly after I pried an ammo tin open with it (no comments required on knife usage here), much to everyone’s great amusement. Thankfully it bent back into shape very easily, I went back to carrying a Pussers rigging set knife shortly after. 10/10 as a letter opener though.

View attachment 77970
Athos , the trouble and a design weakness with these KA BARs is the tang . For one it is too narrow even though it is a through style tang and pinned through the pommel . Second and most important , a mistake that many knife production companies make is that the inner shoulders where the tang enters the handle are squared off at a sharp 90 degree angle instead of with a more gentle curvature . When over pressure is applied through leverage or heavy battoning it has a tendency to break off at this point . The KA BARs are well known for it but saying that it is because some people over work them . I believe its horses for courses and if for instance you are going bush crafting then other tools should be considered for different tasks , ie Bahco wood saws , axes and definitely heavier full tang bushcraft knives .

Reactions: Athos

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Got this sheathless one about a year ago i think. It feels good and solid in the hand. Its not currently a userView attachment 77965View attachment 77966
I just think they are simple , traditional nice looking knives , obviously not the best knives out there considering new and better materials and components , but used correctly and from an iconic and historical point of view it will do the job as a decent utillity knife .

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
As I posted earlier; they have an ‘aura’ that surpasses function.
We were in a travel all ( think lorrie / US truck made up as station wagon
Heading for an archaeological excavation. Guy on a Harley Davidson pulls onto the road right on top of us almost becoming one big bug splat. We braked hard , swerved and passed into oncoming trucks. We pulled back over receiving the one finger salute.
We pull into a petrol station with the temp gauge pinging red from something gone amiss in the excitement ( radiator clamp)
Our wannabe Sonny Barger pulls in and pulls a KaBar. Im to tired to negotiate. I pull my Fairbarn; a blade of even less mundane use and possibly more fragile. It found its way into my field kit one day and stayed. ‘Sonny’ retreated, roaring off with another finger.
I turned, feeling my Jordan Peterson manhood validated. My GF, a 5’11” basketball player had a
Shovel/ spade in both hands raised like a Katana.

• Wow

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
As I posted earlier; they have an ‘aura’ that surpasses function.
We were in a travel all ( think lorrie / US truck made up as station wagon
Heading for an archaeological excavation. Guy on a Harley Davidson pulls onto the road right on top of us almost becoming one big bug splat. We braked hard , swerved and passed into oncoming trucks. We pulled back over receiving the one finger salute.
We pull into a petrol station with the temp gauge pinging red from something gone amiss in the excitement ( radiator clamp)
Our wannabe Sonny Barger pulls in and pulls a KaBar. Im to tired to negotiate. I pull my Fairbarn; a blade of even less mundane use and possibly more fragile. It found its way into my field kit one day and stayed. ‘Sonny’ retreated, roaring off with another finger.
I turned, feeling my Jordan Peterson manhood validated. My GF, a 5’11” basketball player had a
Shovel/ spade in both hands raised like a Katana.
Have you had to pull a dagger out on a blue-haired, Tesla driving they/them or do you exclusively target Ka-Bar wielding, Harley riding flippers of the bird? :D

• Haha
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE