Protecting saws and other tools from rust

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I know I could replace the bow saw blade, but really don't like doing that when I can sharpen it myself and clean it up. Decades of use rather than throwing something away.
I have some carnuba wax so will try that.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
I use Camellia oil because I have it already for my (very small) selection of Niwaki gardening tools, comes as part of the Niwaki tool care kit. (I have a soft spot for Japanese tools..... ).

I wonder tho if it's the mindset of drying, re-sharpening, cleaning and oiling before putting away that is the really important element? Certainly my bog-standard secateurs benefit from this almost as much as the posher stuff.

GreyCat

Reactions: Tantalus

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I wonder tho if it's the mindset of drying, re-sharpening, cleaning and oiling before putting away that is the really important element? Certainly my bog-standard secateurs benefit from this almost as much as the posher stuff.
Absolutely is.

It can be hard after a days work when you are cold wet and tired but the day isn't done until the tools are cared for.

Used to drive me nuts on the farm when I had to spend an hour or more fettling tools and machines before I could even get started on what I wanted to do.

And then to get grief at the end of the day for taking time sorting things and putting them away in decent condition.

Hated working for my parents sometimes...

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The main 'rusting' items are saws. They are only used indoors, so maybe it is just something in wood that makes them particularly vulnerable.
My scythe gets a cursory wipe after use, removing grass, and a bit of a dry off. It doesn't rust like the saws.
Plane blade and body doesn't rust much. Chisels seem fine. Not a spec of rust on Mora knife blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE