Bivi Bag Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

David Heath

Hey there,

I'm looking at purchasing a bivi bag for occassional use. It obviously needs to be waterproof and what not, but it also needs to be fairly warm as I'll be using it around winter time as well as in the summer. Ideally it should be fairly light, but I'm not too bothered about this - as long as it isn't extremely heavy duty I can cope.

I'm looking to spend around the £100 - £150 mark. Ideally that is my absolute limit.

I found this online: http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Terra-Nova-Apollo-Bivi.html

Does that seem like the sort of thing I'm asking for? It looks like I imagine it to, but is obviously slightly above my price range.

Thanks for all your help on this.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Oh that's a posh Bivy bag that is !

I use a standard Olive Green British Army Surplus bag, which cost me about £30 http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr197.html
I bought mine about 3 years agao and it was hardly used/nearly new.

(Disclaimer : As per recent posts I don't work for these guys just one of the places I regularly buy kit from

Can't say I've ever had any problems with it, I've used it round the year and used it on the ground and in a Hammock (not sure I needed it in the hammock though.....) It's a basic reliable bit of kit.

Come to think about it getting into it in the hammock was v difficult….

D

David Heath

Come to think of it those bivi's look fine; I was just worried about the cold really.

Are they all pretty standardised when it comes to keeping the sleeper warm in cold conditions?

My sleeping bag is very good to be honest, so it might be beneficial for me to just get one of those.

leon-1

I've used the british army issued one (the older green one) all year round pretty extensively, they are a good, basic, and inexpensive bag with little to go wrong with it.

The new DPM ones are bigger, but they do not seem to "breath" quite so well (I have one and would honestly say the older ones are better).

So you have a few votes for the old Olive green one:).

leon-1

David, the main thing that a bivi bag will do is reduce windchill, in that respect it will make the sleeping bag a little warmer. Other effects is they stop vapour from building on the outside of the sleeping bag in really cold conditions and obviously will keep dew and rain off.:)

D

David Heath

OK they sound more than adequate.

I'll try and get one of those as soon as possible before they go out of stock.

Thanks very much for all of your help; you've probably saved me a fair few quid to be honest.

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
One thing to be aware of is that the thicker and therefore heavier a bivi bag fabric is then it is going to weigh down on your bag taking away a bit of loft. The lighter a bivi is the warmer you will feel, assuming a good standard of wind and waterproofing

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
P Wren said:
Can't say I've ever had any problems with it, I've used it round the year and used it on the ground and in a Hammock (not sure I needed it in the hammock though.....) It's a basic reliable bit of kit.

Come to think about it getting into it in the hammock was v difficult….

I use the same Bivvy bag and I take it for use inthe hammock as well-it provides a windproof layer and extra warmth as well as deferring the odd drop of water that might find it's way under the tarp. Also, and the main reason, is if i can't pop the hammock up, then i can still kip onthe floor inthe bivvy bag. Job done....

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Whatever you do, don't get the SASS Kit bivy. Its by Snugpak and is too small to be useful! It is so narrow that Snugpak's own range of sleeping bags won't all fit with one medium bloke inside.

Sorry, know its off topic, but would hate anyone else reading this go see it in the SASS booklet and think it might be good.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Have a mtn range gore-tex bivi myself, no complaints other than the price (£130), a MOD jobbie would probably be just as good, have also used the Rab survival zone, excellant bag if a little basic, but very very lite being made of pertex, not totally waterproof (drawstring hood and untaped seams), but ideal for sub zero conditions as much more breathable than gore-tex thus cutting down on persparation build up in the bag, saying this have used them in the rain and didn't notice any leaks!!! plus there pretty cheap at £60 or so!

shaun1209

Feb 17, 2007
Los Angeles, Ca
I was just getting ready to order an Olive Grade 1 Gortex Bivi from the-outdoors.co.uk. I live in Southern California so I know I pay more for shipping than most...but shipping for the bivi to my place was £50 and the bivi is only £45!!!!!!!! That seems a little insane to me...but I may be a bit insane myself. I just bought a Karrimor 75 for less shipping than that..

Would anyone be able to suggest something or possibly allow me to pay them directly for the purchase and shipping? Maybe even trade U.S goods for U.K goods?? Open to suggestions but paying that much for shipping for something that small seems crazy to me...especially in comparison to the shipping I paid for the rucksack weighing 3 times as much probably....

Thanks guys for any help...

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Just to back up what others have said - I have used an OG Army bivvy now for about 15 years at all times of the year and have always slept well. IMHO a bivvy bag adds roughly a season to the sleeping bag rating.

They are not the lightest but are so well made and such a simple construction that nothing has gone wrong with it & for about £30 these days are a bargain.

Why not save yourself some cash on the bivvy bag and buy a liner - I use a silk one as it has good thermal properties, packs away tiny & weighs next to nothing. It also means that you don't have to wash your bag as often which makes it last longer!

Hope that helps,

Simon

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
(the olive green one) and its hard to find a problem with it, very simple and nothing to go wrong. I once slept throught a storm in one without a tarp, well i didnt sleep much because of the noise of the wind and rain lol, but it kept me warm and dry.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have both the British Issue goretex in dpm and also an olive Dutch model, for £20-30 you can`t fault them.

Rich

D

Deleted dude 7861

I have both the British Issue goretex in dpm and also an olive Dutch model, for £20-30 you can`t fault them.

Rich

Have to agree they are fantastic for the money I paid £20 from evilbay for a brand new british issue dpm one and it's great :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I was just getting ready to order an Olive Grade 1 Gortex Bivi from the-outdoors.co.uk. I live in Southern California so I know I pay more for shipping than most...but shipping for the bivi to my place was £50 and the bivi is only £45!!!!!!!! That seems a little insane to me...but I may be a bit insane myself. I just bought a Karrimor 75 for less shipping than that..

Would anyone be able to suggest something or possibly allow me to pay them directly for the purchase and shipping? Maybe even trade U.S goods for U.K goods?? Open to suggestions but paying that much for shipping for something that small seems crazy to me...especially in comparison to the shipping I paid for the rucksack weighing 3 times as much probably....

Thanks guys for any help...

PM sent in the hope I can help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE