Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There's a few differing spellings, Nichol, Nicolson, Nicholson, Nicol, McNicol, Nickle (I think) and the best of course Nicoll. Seemingly my branch as I said were brought over to do bad things to bad people. Funny have spoken to others with no obvious family connection bar the spelling and they've told the same tale.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My goodness, cars don't have presence and front like that knowadays do they? Funny was talking old cars we'd owned yesterday with a chum. Both embarrassing ones and cool ones. I did quite well when I was younger but got dorkier as time went on.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Any relation?

I used to like the Twilight Zone. Was just like watchin' family home movies! (As long as Huon was strapped in with his "pacifier" in).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry not been playing tonight, totally sucked into watching the "West Wing", up to season 5 already, can see why brother Bob likes it so much, really good.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain

Any relation?

I used to like the Twilight Zone. Was just like watchin' family home movies! (As long as Huon was strapped in with his "pacifier" in).

Ahhhh.. The "pacifier" that brings back happy memories. The old black and white TV flickering in the corner, the glowing coals in the fireplace, Gay Boot under the table fighting the dogs for scraps of meat and Pa cranking furiously on the generator to power the TV and keep the "pacifier" juiced up.

Happy days!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ahhhh.. The "pacifier" that brings back happy memories. The old black and white TV flickering in the corner, the glowing coals in the fireplace, Gay Boot under the table fighting the dogs for scraps of meat and Pa cranking furiously on the generator to power the TV and keep the "pacifier" juiced up.

Happy days!

Sniff!Oh that brings a tear to my glass eye that does little bro what ever happened to "Fluffy" he always beat me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Non Capital Punishment Day!
Pa!, much to your relief on this day in 1998 - Capital punishment in the United Kingdom, already abolished for murder, is completely abolished for all remaining capital offences.
Capital punishment in the United Kingdom was used from the creation of the state in 1707 until the practice was abolished in the 20th century. The last executions in the United Kingdom were by hanging, and took place in 1964, prior to capital punishment being abolished for murder (in 1965 in Great Britain and in 1973 in Northern Ireland). Although not applied since, the death penalty was abolished in all circumstances in 1998. In 2004 the 13th Protocol to the European Convention on Human Rights became binding on the United Kingdom, prohibiting the restoration of the death penalty for as long as the UK is a party to the Convention.
Sir Samuel Romilly, speaking to the House of Commons on capital punishment in 1810, declared that "[there is] no country on the face of the earth in which there [have] been so many different offences according to law to be punished with death as in England." Known as the "Bloody Code", at its height the criminal law included some 220 crimes punishable by death, including "being in the company of Gypsies for one month", "strong evidence of malice in a child aged 7–14 years of age" and "blacking the face or using a disguise whilst committing a crime". Many of these offences had been introduced to protect the property of the wealthy classes that emerged during the first half of the 18th century, a notable example being the Black Act of 1723, which created 50 capital offences for various acts of theft and poaching.
Whilst executions for murder, burglary and robbery were common, the death sentences for minor offenders were often not carried out. A sentence of death could be commuted or respited (permanently postponed) for reasons such as benefit of clergy, official pardons, pregnancy of the offender or performance of military or naval duty. Between 1770 and 1830, 35,000 death sentences were handed down in England and Wales, but only 7000 executions were carried out.

[h=3]Last executions[/h]England and in the United Kingdom: on 13 August 1964, Peter Anthony Allen, at Walton Prison in Liverpool, and Gwynne Owen Evans, at Strangeways Prison in Manchester, were executed for the murder of John Alan West on 7 April that year.
Scotland: Henry John Burnett, 21, on 15 August 1963 in Craiginches Prison, Aberdeen, for the murder of seaman Thomas Guyan.
Northern Ireland: Robert McGladdery, 25, on 20 December 1961 in Crumlin Road Gaol, Belfast, for the murder of Pearl Gamble.
Wales: Vivian Teed, 24, in Swansea on 6 May 1958, for the murder of William Williams, sub-postmaster of Fforestfach Post Office.
[h=3]Last death sentences[/h]Northern Ireland and in the United Kingdom: Liam Holden in 1973 in Northern Ireland, for the capital murder of a British soldier during the Troubles. Holden was removed from the death cell in May 1973. In 2012 his conviction was quashed on appeal.
England: David Chapman, who was sentenced to hang in November 1965 for the murder of a swimming pool nightwatchman in Scarborough. He was released from prison in 1979 and later died in a car accident.
Scotland: Patrick McCarron in 1964 for shooting his wife. He hanged himself in prison in 1970.
Wales: Edgar Black, who was reprieved on 6 November 1963. He had shot his wife's lover in Cardiff.

[h=3]Final abolition[/h]The Criminal Damage Act 1971 abolished the offence of arson in royal dockyards.
The Naval Discipline Act 1957 reduced the scope of capital espionage from "all spies for the enemy" to spies on naval ships or bases. Later, the Armed Forces Act 1981 abolished the death penalty for espionage. (The Official Secrets Act 1911 had created another offence of espionage which carried a maximum sentence of fourteen years.)
Beheading was abolished as a method of execution for treason in 1973. However hanging remained available until 1998 when, under a House of Lords amendment to the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, proposed by Lord Archer of Sandwell, the death penalty was abolished for treason and piracy with violence, replacing it with a discretionary maximum sentence of life imprisonment. These were the last civilian offences punishable by death.
On 20 May 1998 the House of Commons voted to ratify the 6th Protocol of the European Convention on Human Rights prohibiting capital punishment except "in time of war or imminent threat of war." The last remaining provisions for the death penalty under military jurisdiction (including in wartime) were removed when section 21(5) of the Human Rights Act 1998 came into force on 9 November 1998. On 10 October 2003, effective from 1 February 2004, the UK acceded to the 13th Protocol, which prohibits the death penalty under all circumstances.
As a legacy from colonial times, several states in the West Indies still had the British Judicial Committee of the Privy Council as the court of final appeal; although the death penalty has been retained in these states, the Privy Council would sometimes delay or deny executions. Some of these states severed links with the British court system in 2001 by transferring the responsibilities of the Privy Council to the Caribbean Court of Justice, to speed up executions.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Sorry not been playing tonight, totally sucked into watching the "West Wing", up to season 5 already, can see why brother Bob likes it so much, really good.
Only took years of telling you about it, for you to sit down and watch it. Ahh.
Bob

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE