Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Huon in case you didn't see it elsewhere your inbox is full!

I always (quietly) wanted one of those vans or a 2cv, really fun to drive.

Not anymore.

I always wanted an Aston Martin DB4 GT but dad took the one I bought :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I read that the drag on those Tri-Motors due to the corrugated fuselage was really bad, but like you said they were built for strength. Funny you should post a pic of that Citroen van, I saw one of those parked in the carpark at Duxford Airplane Museum in Cambs, it was a burger van.

If it's any consolation CLK, that BV40 is just as ugly as its sister.

Loved tha flying wing. I remember seeing that as a kid when the Hollywood version of War of the Worlds was shown on TV. Loved it from the moment if first appeared on my Nan's black & white TV.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
You can see where a lot of UFO sightings came from watching that.

The 1947 Kenneth Arnold UFO Sighting Featured Case
June, 24, 1947 - Near Mt. Rainier, Washington, United States

The modern phenomena of UFOs and “flying saucers” began in Washington state on June 24, 1947, when Kenneth Arnold spotted nine mysterious, high-speed objects “flying like a saucer would” along the crest of the Cascade Range near Mount Rainier. His report made international headlines and triggered hundreds of similar accounts of “flying saucers” locally and across the nation.
Look at the pic he's holding
View attachment 24730

Glad you enjoyed it Aaron.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The van reminds me of two lovely cars I'd like Kubelwagon and my favourite and ultimate bushcraft car the Schwimmwagen.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The 1947 Kenneth Arnold UFO Sighting Featured Case
June, 24, 1947 - Near Mt. Rainier, Washington, United States

The modern phenomena of UFOs and “flying saucers” began in Washington state on June 24, 1947, when Kenneth Arnold spotted nine mysterious, high-speed objects “flying like a saucer would” along the crest of the Cascade Range near Mount Rainier. His report made international headlines and triggered hundreds of similar accounts of “flying saucers” locally and across the nation.
Look at the pic he's holding
View attachment 24730

Glad you enjoyed it Aaron.

Is that a real pic? Wow if it was, never seen that pic before. Someone must've said at the time? Good going Colin.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Is that a real pic? Wow if it was, never seen that pic before. Someone must've said at the time? Good going Colin.

The picture could be doctored, who knows. "The stuff of alien conspiracy's".Must go now,
there's a chap with large black eyes, and what looks like a probe, waiting under the bright light in the garden.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I may be gone a while. This piece of s41t PC is about to go in the bin. All it's good for is raising my blood pressure. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
It's taken 25 minutes to post this, and I gave up on the word association thread. Adieu.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Goodnight Pa, Goodnight Uncle, Goodnight Huon, Goodnight Cousin Pete, 'night Mesquite, 'night Auntie Turbo.

I'm staying up dancing with my troll buddies...

original.gif
original.gif

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hope you had a good night on the tiles GB, I'll let you clear up that mess in the bathroom... again.

Y'know I'd seriously consider giving my front teeth, or even my best dentures for a Schwimmwagen. I made a Tamiya 1:35 model kit of one of those back in the 70's and loved it from then on. Kubelwagen was a very close second.

Just did a quick search... hmmmm perhaps £87,000 is a bit more pricey than even my best dentures.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Ensisheim Day!

Biker!, No it's nothing to do with a white guy who happens to be a very good RAP artist it's the fact that on this day in 1492 - The Ensisheim Meteorite, the oldest meteorite with a known date of impact, strikes the earth around noon in a wheat field outside the village of Ensisheim, Alsace, France.
The fall of the meteorite through the Earth's atmosphere was observed as a fireball for a distance of up to 150 kilometres from where it eventually landed.
Sebastian Brant (1458–1521), satirist and author of "Das Narrenschiff" described the meteorite and its fall in the poem, "Loose Leaves Concerning the Fall of the Meteorite".
Residents of the walled town and nearby farms and villages gathered at the location to raise the meteorite from its impact hole and began removing pieces of the meteorite.
A local magistrate interfered with the destruction of the stone, in order to preserve the object for King Maximilian, the son of reigning Holy Roman Emperor, Frederick III. A piece of the meteorite was sent to Cardinal Piccolomini (later Pope Pius III) at the Vatican along with a number of related verses written by Brant.
Brant created broadsheets in Latin and German with a poem about the meteorite describing it as an omen. The fall is also described in Folio 257 of the Nuremberg Chronicle. German painter and mathematician Albrecht Dürer sketched his observations of the fall of the meteorite.

Main mass of the Ensisheim meteorite in the town's museum.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As a little homage to Brother Huon who is awaiting the olive or acebuche (as they cry it is Spain) harvest, I thought I would give you a short rendition of the Greeks version of how the olive tree came into being...

According to the ancient Greek history, Poseidon, god of the sea and Athena, goddess of peace and wisdom, disputed over whose name would be given to the newly built city, in the land of Attica. To end this dispute, it was decided that the city would be named after the one who offered the most precious gift to the citizens. Poseidon struck his trident on a rock and salt water began to flow. Athena struck her spear on the ground and it turned into an olive tree.

It was decided that the olive tree was more valuable to the people of Attica, hence the new city was named Athens in honor of Athena. Even today, an olive tree stands where the legend took place in Pnika just on the foothills of Acropolis.

According to Homer, the olive tree has been thriving in Greece for over 10,000 years. For the Ancient Greeks, the olive tree was a symbol of peace, wisdom and triumph. An olive wreath was made, and used to crown the Olympic champions.

You see just like the story of the "Empty Barn" it was a short one, well I kept it short as Pa's getting twitchy wanting to go on a tooth collecting spree for his new car!...

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
As a little homage to Brother Huon who is awaiting the olive or acebuche (as they cry it is Spain) harvest, I thought I would give you a short rendition of the Greeks version of how the olive tree came into being...

According to the ancient Greek history, Poseidon, god of the sea and Athena, goddess of peace and wisdom, disputed over whose name would be given to the newly built city, in the land of Attica. To end this dispute, it was decided that the city would be named after the one who offered the most precious gift to the citizens. Poseidon struck his trident on a rock and salt water began to flow. Athena struck her spear on the ground and it turned into an olive tree.

It was decided that the olive tree was more valuable to the people of Attica, hence the new city was named Athens in honor of Athena. Even today, an olive tree stands where the legend took place in Pnika just on the foothills of Acropolis.

According to Homer, the olive tree has been thriving in Greece for over 10,000 years. For the Ancient Greeks, the olive tree was a symbol of peace, wisdom and triumph. An olive wreath was made, and used to crown the Olympic champions.

You see just like the story of the "Empty Barn" it was a short one, well I kept it short as Pa's getting twitchy wanting to go on a tooth collecting spree for his new car!...

I thought you might know that one :)

The gift mismatch wasn't as extreme as olives vs. salt water. In some versions of the story a horse came from Poseidon's blow as well as the sea and that was also his gift to the citizens of Athens. Odd how memory works, I could remember the horse part of Poseidon's gift but not the sea.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I thought you might know that one :)

The gift mismatch wasn't as extreme as olives vs. salt water. In some versions of the story a horse came from Poseidon's blow as well as the sea and that was also his gift to the citizens of Athens. Odd how memory works, I could remember the horse part of Poseidon's gift but not the sea.

Maybe you liked horseys more than the beach as a kid? All vital things to the economic power of Athens though, the sea for trade, the olives to trade, and horses for land travel and trade. Their fleet was huge, I don't think folk today realise how busy a port Piraeus was, would have been like an ancient H20 based Heathrow.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Maybe you liked horseys more than the beach as a kid? All vital things to the economic power of Athens though, the sea for trade, the olives to trade, and horses for land travel and trade. Their fleet was huge, I don't think folk today realise how busy a port Piraeus was, would have been like an ancient H20 based Heathrow.

Nah! I'm a Kiwi so beaches all the way. I've probably only been on a horse 4 or 5 times in my entire life. I left that one to the teenage girls :)

Yep, the Athenian fleet was a biggie. They were the naval power amongst the Greek city states.

I'm far from being an expert but I have read a reasonable amount about the Greeks. I was quite interested in them as a teenager so there was a period of time when I gobbled up everything on ancient Greece I could get my hands on. I even invested some time in a study of Cretan Linear B - prompted after a read of 'Whom the Gods Would Destroy' by Richard Powell. An excellent piece of fiction set during the Trojan war and well worth a read if you haven't already read it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You know Troy was my most disappointing visit I think. As a kid like you I devoured my Iliad and Odyssey. And getting to Turkey to see it I was so excited, I had in my head that I'd have a tangible sense of what had gone before like I get in other places... But it was pretty unexciting and dead really. Still the rest of the country blew my mind and I saw my first wild tortoise at Troy.

Don't think I've read Mr Powell, but will dig him out and give him a hurl, be nice to revisit the war. I remember getting marked down in an English exam for the extra detail I'd put in about various Greek tales that were included. In large red pen they'd struck through it and written "Stick to the curriculum" I was devastated that they were quashing an interested student.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
You know Troy was my most disappointing visit I think. As a kid like you I devoured my Iliad and Odyssey. And getting to Turkey to see it I was so excited, I had in my head that I'd have a tangible sense of what had gone before like I get in other places... But it was pretty unexciting and dead really. Still the rest of the country blew my mind and I saw my first wild tortoise at Troy.

Don't think I've read Mr Powell, but will dig him out and give him a hurl, be nice to revisit the war. I remember getting marked down in an English exam for the extra detail I'd put in about various Greek tales that were included. In large red pen they'd struck through it and written "Stick to the curriculum" I was devastated that they were quashing an interested student.

I can guess what you mean about Troy. I've never been to Turkey but my brother has visited a lot and loves it. His degrees were in Physical Anthropology and Geology so it was a logical fit.

Whom the Gods Would Destroy is superb! Please do read it if you can get a copy. Here are some link:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4525593-whom-the-gods-would-destroy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whom_the_Gods_Would_Destroy

It is out of print so I did a quick search on bookfinder but I'm afraid the prices are shocking. There is a Kindle edition for a mere £2.04 though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whom-Would-...9&sr=1-1&keywords=Whom+the+Gods+Would+Destroy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I can guess what you mean about Troy. I've never been to Turkey but my brother has visited a lot and loves it. His degrees were in Physical Anthropology and Geology so it was a logical fit.

Whom the Gods Would Destroy is superb! Please do read it if you can get a copy. Here are some link:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4525593-whom-the-gods-would-destroy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whom_the_Gods_Would_Destroy

It is out of print so I did a quick search on bookfinder but I'm afraid the prices are shocking. There is a Kindle edition for a mere £2.04 though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whom-Would-...9&sr=1-1&keywords=Whom+the+Gods+Would+Destroy

Haha I just need to find my Kindle now its gone the way of the Alexandria Library... and is lost! That's the problem with everything being in one place, when is goes or formats change, poof! no more access.

Turkey is wonderful, have a few first accents of a few climbs to my name out there, the history was wonderful and the souks and people great.

Spent some time in the deserts and grass plains on my own too which was a great experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE