Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Haha I just need to find my Kindle now its gone the way of the Alexandria Library... and is lost! That's the problem with everything being in one place, when is goes or formats change, poof! no more access.

Turkey is wonderful, have a few first accents of a few climbs to my name out there, the history was wonderful and the souks and people great.

Spent some time in the deserts and grass plains on my own too which was a great experience.

I don't have a Kindle either but I do read Kindle books as you can download the Kindle software for other devices:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000493771

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Lol you'll be welcome to the pieces, I had a good session of stress relief therapy with it last night in the garden. It was wonderful.

Sent from my wife's old laptop,
Using my fingers.

A man after my own heart :) I've lost count of the number of times my computers have come within a hair of being thrown through the nearest window or against the nearest wall.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Huon, have you read Steven Pressfields "Gates of fire". An excellent fictional account fo the battle of Thermopylae, as told by a single survivor, brought before Xerxes.

GB, interesting subject that meteorite.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Huon, have you read Steven Pressfields "Gates of fire". An excellent fictional account fo the battle of Thermopylae, as told by a single survivor, brought before Xerxes.

GB, interesting subject that meteorite.

Yep! I have it here somewhere :)

I role-pleyed for many years and one of the character names I kept coming back to was Xerxes.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Lol you'll be welcome to the pieces, I had a good session of stress relief therapy with it last night in the garden. It was wonderful.

Sent from my wife's old laptop,
Using my fingers.
You'll not be wanting the Ubuntu install disc I was going to offer to send you get it running better then.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Cheers, but I'm afraid it was well beyond saving, even when it sort of worked, I should have changed it years ago. It was even pre Vista.

12% of machines in the world are still running Windows XP

2013Win8Win7VistaNT*WinXPLinuxMacMobile
October9.9%56.7%1.6%1.4%12.4%4.9%9.6%3.3%

I put ubuntu 13.10 on a Pentium 4 the other day and it's running grand. The machine is at least 9 years old, but it has no physical problems.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I put ubuntu 13.10 on a Pentium 4 the other day and it's running grand. The machine is at least 9 years old, but it has no physical problems.

Mine included. Still running XP and it does exactly what it should for my needs. I think the PC's getting on for 10 years old now. Got an all singing and dancing PC still in the box to rig up in the new house. Can't wait to fire that up. I think it's V8 with supercharger!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London

But I feel ever so much better than I did 24 hours ago. Calm, happy, heart rate down, blood pressure down and sitting at a one year old laptop that works. This one is only as slow as my bad typing.:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Actual found footage of Uncle Kelly in his man palace last night...

[video=youtube;hAW5WjgC9_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAW5WjgC9_4[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Though theirs obviously some seriously foxy DNA she doesn't spell hers right, We're the rare Norwegian Mercenary thugs Nicoll's brought over by the McLeod's to knock lumps out of their neighbours. Why you wanting to make her my Step Auntie?;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy First Jet to Jet
Plane Battle Day!
Well Pa on this day in 1950 - The 1st jet-plane battle ever took place, in the Korean War.

P-80 Shooting Star

MIG-15
Yup on this day a P-80 shot down two MIG-15's over Korea so going into history as the first time jets had gone toe to toe.
USAF Lt. Russell J. Brown, flying a P-80 "Shooting Star,"destroyed two Russian-built MiG-15 near the Yalu River on Nov. 8.

Speaking of fighting also on this day in 1789 - Bourbon Whiskey, is 1st distilled from corn (by Elijah Craig, Bourbon Ky).
In approximately 1789, Craig founded a distillery. About a century later, the Rev. Craig was dubiously claimed to have been the inventor of Bourbon whiskey by being the first to age the distillation in charred oak casks, "a process that gives the bourbon its reddish colour and unique taste." The Heaven Hill company uses this claim in its advertising of their product.
Bourbon whiskey derives its name from the general area originally established as Bourbon County, which was originally established as the name of a county in Virginia, in honour of the French royal House of Bourbon family. The naming was a gesture of gratitude, as France had assisted the colonial rebellion in the U.S. revolutionary war against England. However, although the borders and naming of the counties in the area shifted over time, Rev. Craig's distillery site has never actually been in a county named Bourbon County. When founded, the distillery was in the nearby territory of the original Fayette County of Virginia, which had been named in honour of the noted Revolutionary War Gen. Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette (who was a member of the House of Bourbon). Later government actions would name the area as Woodford County in 1788, and then as Scott County in 1792. The area became part of Kentucky when the state was created from part of Virginia in 1792.
As American whiskey authority Charles Kendrick Cowdery has observed, "By the time Bourbon County was formed in 1785, there were dozens if not hundreds of small farmer-distillers making whiskey throughout the region… Ultimately, most of the corn-based whiskey made west of the Alleghenies was called 'bourbon', to distinguish it from the rye-based whiskies that predominated in the East."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself's mother was a Nicolson to her own name, but that family all look like Brythonic celts.
Are there not 'two' clan Nicolsons ?

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE