Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
search

Just trying something.

It worked, we got your lovely white cross inside some boxes - they're my favourite Uncle Kelly!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
It worked, we got your lovely white cross inside some boxes - they're my favourite Uncle Kelly!

What da f??? :lmao:

I was just trying to work out how to post an image from a URL, but it just comes up with "error invalid file" How do you post the large size pics. As you can tell. I,m not computer literate.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What da f??? :lmao:

I was just trying to work out how to post an image from a URL, but it just comes up with "error invalid file" How do you post the large size pics. As you can tell. I,m not computer literate.

type
at the end

So it should look like this
no space before or after the URL link. This way you don't need to use the tools in the space above the post message box. No I'm not that computer literate either, I just found this little method that works.

As for large size pics I think by default they're automatically resized by the software that runs this forum.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
type
at the end

So it should look like this
no space before or after the URL link. This way you don't need to use the tools in the space above the post message box. No I'm not that computer literate either, I just found this little method that works.

As for large size pics I think by default they're automatically resized by the software that runs this forum.

I'll try that too. Thanks guys.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Double Battle Day!
Biker, on this day we had two historically important battles...
1066 - Battle of Hastings, William the Conqueror and Norman-French army defeat English forces of Harold II
&
1322 - Robert the Bruce of Scotland defeats King Edward II of England at Byland, forcing Edward to accept Scotland's independence

Yup the date everyone knows 1066.
The Battle of Hastings was fought on 14 October 1066 between the Norman-French army of Duke William II of Normandy and an English army under the Anglo-Saxon King Harold II, during the Norman conquest of England. It took place approximately 7 miles (11 kilometres) north-west of Hastings, close to the present-day town of Battle, East Sussex, and was a decisive Norman victory.
The background to the battle was the death of the childless King Edward the Confessor in January 1066, which set up a succession struggle between several claimants to his throne. Harold was crowned king shortly after Edward's death, but faced invasions by William, his own brother Tostig and the Norwegian King Harald Hardrada (Harold III of Norway). Hardrada and Tostig defeated a hastily gathered army of Englishmen at the Battle of Fulford on 20 September 1066, and were in turn defeated by Harold at the Battle of Stamford Bridge five days later. The deaths of Tostig and Hardrada at Stamford left William as Harold's only serious opponent. While Harold and his forces were recovering from Stamford, William landed his invasion forces in the south of England at Pevensey on 28 September 1066 and established a beachhead for his conquest of the kingdom. Harold was forced to march south swiftly, gathering forces as he went.
The exact numbers present at the battle are unknown; estimates are around 10,000 for William and about 7000 for Harold. The composition of the forces is clearer; the English army was composed almost entirely of infantry and had few archers, whereas about half of the invading force was infantry, the rest split equally between cavalry and archers. Harold appears to have tried to surprise William, but scouts found his army and reported its arrival to William, who marched from Hastings to the battlefield to confront Harold. The battle lasted from about 9 am to dusk. Early efforts of the invaders to break the English battle lines had little effect, therefore the Normans adopted the tactic of pretending to flee in panic and then turning on their pursuers. Harold's death, probably near the end of the battle, led to the retreat and defeat of most of his army. After further marching and some skirmishes, William was crowned as king on Christmas Day 1066.
Although there continued to be rebellions and resistance to William's rule, Hastings effectively marked the culmination of William's conquest of England. Casualty figures are hard to come by, but some historians estimate that 2000 invaders died along with about twice that number of Englishmen. William founded a monastery at the site of the battle, the high altar of the abbey church supposedly placed at the spot where Harold died.

The Battle of Old Byland (also known as the Battle of Byland Moor and Battle of Byland Abbey) was a significant encounter between Scots and English troops in Yorkshire in October 1322, forming part of the Wars of Scottish Independence. It was a victory for the Scots, the most significant since Bannockburn, though on a far smaller scale.
Bruce crossed the Solway in the west, making his way in a south-easterly direction towards Yorkshire, bringing many troops recruited in Argyll and the Isles. The boldness and speed of the attack soon exposed Edward to danger, even in his own land. On his return from Scotland, the king had taken up residence at Rievaulx Abbey with Queen Isabella. His peace was interrupted when the Scots made a sudden and unexpected approach in mid-October. All that stood between them and a royal prize was a large English force under the command of John de Bretagne, 1st Earl of Richmond. John had taken up position on Scawton Moor, between Rievaulx and Byland Abbey. To dislodge him from his strong position on the high ground Bruce used the same tactics that brought victory at the earlier Battle of Pass of Brander. As Moray and Douglas charged uphill a party of Highlanders scaled the cliffs on the English flank and charged downhill into Richmond's rear. Resistance crumbled and the Battle of Old Byland turned into a rout. Richmond himself was taken prisoner, as were Henry de Sully, Grand Butler of France, Sir Ralph Cobham-'the best knight in England'-and Sir Thomas Ughtred. Many others were killed in flight. Edward-'ever chicken hearted and luckless in war'-was forced to make a rapid and undignified exit from Rievaulx, fleeing in such haste that his personal belongings were left behind. After Byland, says Sir Thomas Gray, the Scots were so fierce and their chiefs so daring, and the English so cowed, that it was no otherwise between them than as a hare before greyhounds

Competition.
Which famous ship sank/was sunk today? Name ship and year.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
See who said you had a miss-spent youth! Correct on both counts. (It's the miss-spent adulthood I'm worried about):rolleyes:

I'm just making up for our terrible childhood, when I had to try to protect you hatchlings from Dr Kribe. Now you've all metamorphosed into adults, I can do my things. MUWAH HAHA.
[video=youtube;pVY1-v97Mic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVY1-v97Mic[/video]

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I'm just making up for our terrible childhood, when I had to try to protect you hatchlings from Dr Kribe. Now you've all metamorphosed into adults, I can do my things. MUWAH HAHA.
[video=youtube;pVY1-v97Mic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVY1-v97Mic[/video]

Hold on Unca Kelly, what do you mean 'our childhood'? You are pappy Kribe's brother. You used to help him.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Your Pa is many years older than me. You have to remember that he honed his skills using me. That's why I hid in cupboards, making Airfix kits by candle light.
He couldn't smell the glue,at least not after I'd pushed the two crayons up his snout, while he was sleeping off a two day bender.
Nice to see the Nephillim is back.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Today in 1983.
Venera 16 - USSR Venus Orbiter (Launched June 7, 1983) arrived at Venus. Its high-resolution imaging system produced images at 1-2 kilometers in resolution. Venera 15 and 16 produced a map of the northern hemisphere from the pole to 30°N. They found several hot spots, possibly caused from volcanic activity.

Venera 15 and Venera 16 were a two-spacecraft mission designed to use 8-centimeter (3-inch) band, side-looking radar mappers to study the surface properties of Venus. Venera 15 was launched on June 2, 1983, and Venera 16 on June 7. The two spacecraft were inserted into Venus orbit a day apart with their orbital planes shifted by an angle of approximately 4° relative to one another. This made it possible to reimage an area if necessary.

The two spacecraft were identical and were based on modifications to the orbiter portions of the Venera 9 and 14 probes. Each spacecraft consisted of a synthetic aperture radar (SAR) and a radio altimeter. Each spacecraft was in a nearly polar orbit with a periapsis at 62°N latitude. Together, the two spacecraft imaged the area from the north pole down to about 30°N latitude over the 8 months of mapping operations. In June 1984, Venus was at superior conjunction and passed behind the Sun as seen from Earth. No transmissions were possible, so the orbit of Venera 16 was rotated back 20° at this time to map the areas missed during this period.

Synthetic Aperture Radar
The Venera 15 and 16 synthetic aperture radar (SAR) systems were identical, and were used to map the surface of Venus at a resolution of 1 to 2 kilometers (.6 to 1.2 miles) over a period of 8 months. Radar is necessary for Venus surface mapping because the planet is covered by an unbroken layer of thick clouds. The radar was side-looking (at an angle of 10°) and operated at a wavelength band of 8 centimeters. The radar system consisted of a 6-meter (20-foot) diameter by 1.4-meter (4.6-foot) parabolic dish antenna connected to a transmitter, including a master oscillator and phase modulator, and a receiver linked to electronics and a buffer memory. The receiver and transmitter were run and coordinated by an on-board computer. All the components of the SAR except for the dish antenna were shared by the radio altimeter. The system would cycle between the SAR antenna and the radio altimeter antenna every 0.3 seconds.

In SAR mode, the antenna would transmit a code sequence of 127 pulses, each of duration 1.54 microseconds. After transmission, the antenna was switched to the receiver, which recorded the reflection of the radar pulses from the surface over a period of 3.9 msec. After on-board processing with a digital automatic gain control system, the results were stored in a memory buffer until the radar picture was completed. Each radar picture (one per orbit) covered a strip of surface about 120 kilometers (75 miles) in width and 7,500 kilometers (4,660 miles) in length and took about 16 minutes of mapping. The data were then transferred to the on-board digital data storage unit for later transmission to Earth. The amplitudes of the reflected signals were processed on Earth to correct for atmospheric, geometric, and orbital effects and give images representing the slope, roughness, and emissivity of the surface of Venus.

The Venera spacecraft were in 24-hour polar orbits about Venus, with an apsis of 1,000 kilometers (62 miles) above the north pole. The radar mapping would typically begin at a latitude of 80° on the approach side of the pole and continue over the pole down to a latitude of 30° N. During the orbit, Venus would rotate on its axis by 1.5°, so the next mapping run would partially overlap the last. Mapping continued through one complete rotation of Venus, and covered 115 million square kilometers (44 million miles), about 25 percent of the surface of Venus.

View attachment 23615 View attachment 23616

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE