Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Found this earlier and thought you may like, shooting the Boss! I'm concerned for his safety as he's only wearing flip-flops on his feet!

[video=youtube;3ZzoB6xBWOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZzoB6xBWOI[/video]

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Aerial Photograph Day!

"Boston, as the Eagle and the Wild Goose See It," the first recorded aerial photograph.
13 October 1860

Biker, on this day in 1860 the first recorded Aerial photograph was taken. The place was Boston and it was from a balloon.

In these days of Google maps we take this sort of thing for granted.
Aerial photography was first practiced by the French photographer and balloonist Gaspard-Félix Tournachon, known as "Nadar", in 1858 over Paris, France.

However, the photographs he produced no longer exist and therefore the earliest surviving aerial photograph is titled 'Boston, as the Eagle and the Wild Goose See It.' Taken by James Wallace Black and Samuel Archer King on October 13, 1860, it depicts Boston from a height of 630m.

Aerial photography is used in cartography (particularly in photogrammetric surveys, which are often the basis for topographic maps), land-use planning, archaeology, movie production, environmental studies, surveillance, commercial advertising, conveyance, and artistic projects. In the United States, aerial photographs are used in many Phase I Environmental Site Assessments for property analysis.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
61905643.jpg

Today's competition. Where is this an aerial view of?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
D'oh! And there was me thinking the Bauhaus were a German band. Don't know how I could have been so mistaken. Next you'll be telling me the Monkees were really African.

It's like folk thinking Berghaus is a German company when actually formed near Newcastle. The thought was that when they formed a lot of the good gear came from Germany so they picked a German sounding name. Confuses the heck out of Jerry too.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aerial photography day eh? Hmmmm would that be Boston Lincolnshire or Boston Massachusetts? Having lived in the former for a couple of months it doesn't look like it so I'm guessing it's the latter.

Well done you eagle eyes for spotting Venice and that hill fort. I hadn't realised Venice was so small. Another little factoid I've learned today.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE