Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker!Happy X-15 Day!

On this day in 1961 - USAF Major Robert M White takes X-15 to 66,100m.
The North American X-15 was a rocket-powered aircraft operated by the United States Air Force and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) as part of the X-plane series of experimental aircraft. The X-15 set speed and altitude records in the early 1960s, reaching the edge of outer space and returning with valuable data used in aircraft and spacecraft design. As of 2013[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=North_American_X-15&action=edit[/SUP], the X-15 holds the official world record for the fastest speed ever reached by a manned aircraft. Its maximum speed was 4,520 miles per hour (7,274 km/h) (Mach 6.72).
During the X-15 program, 13 different flights by eight pilots met the USAF spaceflight criterion by exceeding the altitude of 50 miles (80 km) thus qualifying the pilots for astronaut status. The USAF pilots qualified for USAF astronaut wings, while the civilian pilots were awarded NASA astronaut wings in 2005, 35 years after the last X-15 flight.
Of all the X-15 missions, two flights (by the same pilot) qualified as space flights per the international (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) definition of a spaceflight by exceeding 100 kilometres (62.1 mi) in altitude.
The X-15 was based on a concept study from Walter Dornberger for the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) for a hypersonic research aircraft. The requests for proposal were published on 30 December 1954 for the airframe and on 4 February 1955 for the rocket engine. The X-15 was built by two manufacturers: North American Aviation was contracted for the airframe in November 1955, and Reaction Motors was contracted for building the engines in 1956.
Like many X-series aircraft, the X-15 was designed to be carried aloft on, and drop launched from, the wing of a NASA B-52 mother ship, the Balls 8. Release took place at an altitude of about 8.5 miles (13.7 km) and a speed of about 500 miles per hour (805 km/h). The X-15 fuselage was long and cylindrical, with rear fairings that flattened its appearance, and thick, dorsal and ventral wedge-fin stabilizers. Parts of the fuselage were heat-resistant nickel alloy (Inconel-X 750). The retractable landing gear comprised a nose-wheel carriage and two rear skis. The skis did not extend beyond the ventral fin, which required the pilot to jettison the lower fin (fitted with a parachute) just before landing.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Forgot the quiz again!

A) Which is the only day of the week that can be turned into an anagram? (And what is that anagram?

B) Thinking that its parents were a camel and a leopard, Europeans once called which animal a ‘camelopard’?

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I think it was Andy? Pedro. Only spoke to him for a couple of mins. Not sure there was that many faces and names to remember, it's all bit of a blur. He did have some nice pieces. Though think he has a bit of a mushroom fetish:lmao:. Almost good enough to eat.
On the plus side GB was so well behaved, I even let him off his leash and didn't have to get the whip out to keep him under control.. ( even though he dose like to be disciplined)
Bob
To my eternal shame I've not retained his name - Brother Bob may remember, he got the name memory part of the brain. I didn't take enough pics, I kind've forgot through enjoying it, was very good fun. Sort of a "MOOT LITE".

And wow Pa popped his bonce 'round the door there! He must be busy at the lab to stay away that long. But like they say the devil comes when you mention his name. How's the new place coming along Pa? Got any pics of the work in progress?

Meant to say earlier today yes Uncle Kelly and Dark Horse Dave were correct in the pop picker quiz with Aneka. (We can blame Bob and his Radio 2 ways whilst we were away - I usually never listen to music radio (R4 for me) but there were some good tunes and an interview on the wireless on Saturday night - I was impressed. May even sway my ways as to listening habits.

By the way Cousin Pete, like the list of things to put before "the furniture" unfortunately as I'm not paying subs I cant change mine. But when I do I'll keep it in mind - most inventive.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On the plus side GB was so well behaved, I even let him off his leash and didn't have to get the whip out to keep him under control.. ( even though he dose like to be disciplined)
Bob

But the muzzle was left on... Wouldn't let me bite folk... (grumble grumble).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Sid Vicious Day!

On this day in 1978 - Sid Vicious charged in murder of girlfriend Nancy Spungen.
Sid Vicious, born John Simon Ritchie (10 May 1957 – 2 February 1979), was an English bass guitarist and vocalist most famous as a member of the influential punk group, the Sex Pistols.
Vicious joined the Sex Pistols in early 1977 to replace Glen Matlock, who had fallen out of favour with the rest of the group. Due to intravenous drug use, Vicious was hospitalized with hepatitis during the recording of the Sex Pistols' debut album "Never Mind the ********". Accordingly, Vicious' bass is only partially featured on one song from Never Mind the ********. Vicious would later appear as a lead vocalist, performing three cover songs, on the soundtrack to "The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle", a largely fictionalized documentary about the Sex Pistols produced by the group's former manager Malcolm McLaren and director Julien Temple.
During the brief and chaotic ascendancy of the Sex Pistols, Vicious met eventual girlfriend and manager Nancy Spungen. Spungen and Vicious entered a destructive co-dependent relationship based on drug use. This culminated in Spungen's death from an apparent stab wound while staying in the Hotel Chelsea, Manhattan, with Vicious. Under suspicion of having committed Spungen's murder, Vicious was released on bail; he was later arrested again for assaulting Todd Smith, brother of Patti Smith, at a night club and underwent drug rehabilitation on Riker's Island. In celebration of Vicious' release from prison, a party was held by his mother at his girlfriend's residence in Greenwich Village, which was attended notably by the Misfits bassist Jerry Only. Vicious' mother had been supplying Vicious with drugs and paraphernalia from a young age and assisted him in procuring heroin late that night. Vicious died in his sleep, having overdosed on the heroin his mother had procured. After Vicious' death, a compilation of live material recorded during his brief solo career was packaged and released as "Sid Sings".

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
`I was just thinking, he was only three months younger than me, I even met him at Hackney tech in "74" when I was an apprentice. I didn't move in the same circles as him, and never got into the Punk scene.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
`I was just thinking, he was only three months younger than me, I even met him at Hackney tech in "74" when I was an apprentice. I didn't move in the same circles as him, and never got into the Punk scene.
Haha, you wouldn't have liked Barnowls Friday Night Disco last night. Was a punk special.

Some punk was OK but others was just noise.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I liked quite a mix of stuff though Japan was my favourite group I'd say. Yeah used to hack off my girlfriend as I could sit on my hair it was so long. (Often some weird colours too). Funny though I really don't listen to music these days though. R4 & talking books all the way. Though I did enjoy R2's 80's night last weekend whilst we were away. Should really dig out the tunes and pop it all on a hard drive sometime.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Todays competition: - Name the rock star?

I am zinking it iz somevun mit un Teutonic name Ja? No idea what it is though.

Never got into the punk scene as such either, skirted around it and I really liked the new wave stuff of the late 70's, but the punk end of the spectrum was a bit too extreme for me. Like CLKColin said what a nice Mum ol' Sidney had. They don't make 'em like that anymore ... wait a sec', yes they do. Duh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE