Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
So, less mainstream this time. A return to classic Kiwi SF:

" Zac Hobson, July 5th. One: there has been a malfunction in Project Flashlight with devastating results. Two: it seems I am the only person left on Earth."

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

"Fifteen hundred years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. Five
hundred years ago, everybody knew that the Earth
was flat. And fifteen minutes ago, you knew that
humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what
you'll know tomorrow"

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

"Fifteen hundred years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. Five
hundred years ago, everybody knew that the Earth
was flat. And fifteen minutes ago, you knew that
humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what
you'll know tomorrow"

Rip Torn's shout of "INGRATES!!!" springs to mind.:cool: Something I shout at my adopted kids often.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Y'know with my advancing years, these movie quotes are right on the edges of my memory... in other words I know them, they're familiar but I'm just not quick enough to grasp them and reply. Did get the FireFly, Blade Runner and Excalibur ones though... even before I scrolled down. How impressive is that?!

Glad you folks made it thorugh Friday 13th safely... well at least this far. :cool:

Triskaidekaphobia.
The fear of Friday the thirteenth has a name.

View attachment 22281

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hey kids, did you space buffs clock this in the laughable Yahoo "news" page today? See link below.

CLICK HERE

Which is exactly why I don't yahoo or buy the mail.

An old quote: "We shall build a tower that will reach to the stars!" Having conceived Babel, yet unable to build it themselves, they had thousands to build it for them. But those who toiled knew nothing of the dreams of those who planned. And the minds that planned the Tower of Babel cared nothing for the workers who built it. The hymns of praise of the few became the curses of the many - BABEL! BABEL! BABEL! - Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a Mediator, and this must be the heart.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
pride caused the tower of babel to be built, and those who built it where forced too by the pride of the aforementioned designers.

On a completley different note.

Hale-Bopp was an unusually bright comet that swung near Earth in the
late 1990s, reaching its closest
approach to the planet in 1997. It was
most spectacular in the Northern
Hemisphere and visible to the naked eye for about 18 months. Hale-Bopp was probably one of the
most viewed comets in history.
Popular media mentioned the comet frequently. It provided quite the sky show, being 1,000 times brighter than Halley's Comet at the time of its discovery, NASA stated. Its twin blue-and-white tails were easily visible
even from light-polluted areas such as Chicago. Sadly, there was a tragic footnote to the appearance of Hale-Bopp. About 40 people who
were part of the "Heaven's Gate" cult in San Diego committed mass suicide as the comet
came close to Earth. A blob by M70
For the most part, Hale-Bopp represented an exciting time for astronomy, but the fireworks
came with a hint of wistfulness for astronomers, as well. Hale-Bopp's last appearance had
been about 4,200 years before, and it won't return to the inner solar system for thousands
of years. Scientists scrambled to do as much science as possible during the comet's brush by
the planet.For the most part, Hale-Bopp represented an exciting time for astronomy, but the fireworks
came with a hint of wistfulness for astronomers, as well. Hale-Bopp's last appearance had
been about 4,200 years before, and it won't return to the inner solar system for thousands
of years. Scientists scrambled to do as much science as possible during the comet's brush by
the planet. Astronomers at the European Southern Observatory released pictures of the comet in 2002, five years after Hale-Bopp got closest to Earth. The comet was then 1.2 billion miles (2 billion
km) from Earth, about halfway between the orbits of Saturn and Uranus. "The large 'dirty snowball' nucleus of ice and dust (probably about 50 km diameter)
continues to be active, despite the very low temperature where it is now. This is quite
unusual for a comet," ESO stated, based on observations from La Silla Telescope. The comet's spectacular appearance 16 years ago may be overshadowed by another comet
bearing down on the inner solar system in early 2013. Comet ISON could be brighter than the full moon when it arrives close to Earth later this year.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
And also for later this year

"A NASA spacecraft has captured its first photos of
comet ISON, an icy wanderer that some scientists
say could dazzle as a "comet of the century" when
it swings through the inner solar system later this
year. The photos were taken by NASA's Deep Impact
probe and reveal comet ISON as a bright, dusty ball moving against a star-filled background. The
spacecraft snapped the pictures on Jan. 17 and
Jan. 18 from a distance of about 493 million miles
(793 million kilometers). Comet ISON has been the focus of much
anticipation among scientists and stargazers
because of its potential to put on a spectacular
display in late November, when it makes its closest
approach to the sun. Some forecasts predict the
comet could shine brighter than the full moon. As of mid-January, the comet's tail was more than
40,000 miles (64,400 km). Will comet ISON sizzle or fizzle? Some projections state that comet ISON, which is
officially designated comet C/20012 S1 (ISON), could shine extremely bright in the nighttime sky,
possibly even rivaling the full moon. Whether the
comet will meet expectations or fizzle out remains
to be seen, but it has already become a target for
NASA and amateur astronomers. [ Photos of Comet ISON in Night Sky] "This is the fourth comet on which we have
performed science observations and the farthest
point from Earth from which we've tried to transmit
data on a comet," Deep Impact project manager
Tim Larson, of the agency's Jet Propulsion
Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., said in a statement Tuesday (Feb. 5) "The distance limits our
bandwidth, so it's a little like communicating
through a modem after being used to DSL. But
we're going to coordinate our science collection
and playback so we maximize our return on this potentially spectacular comet." The Deep Impact spacecraft has flown close by two comets, Tempel 1 and Hartley 2, and taken detailed
observations of another — comet Garradd —
before turning its camera eyes on Comet ISON. The
spacecraft used its Medium-Resolution Imager to
snap pictures of ISON during a 36-hour period
between Jan. 17 and 18, NASA officials said. Comet ISON was discovered in September 2012 by
Russian astronomers Vitali Nevski and Artyom
Novichonok using a 15.7-inch (0.4-meter)
telescope of the International Scientific Optical
Network (ISON), near Kislovodsk. The comet is
most likely making its first trip through the inner solar system from the Oort cloud, a vast shell of icy objects at the outer edge of the solar system that
extends one-third of the way to the nearest star,
NASA scientists said. "Having not come this way before means the
comet's pristine surface has a higher probability of
being laden with volatile material just spoiling for
some of the sun's energy to heat it up and help it
escape," NASA officials wrote in a statement. "With
the exodus of these clean ices could come a boatload of dust, held in check since the
beginnings of our solar system. This released gas
and dust is what is seen on Earth as comprising a
comet's atmosphere (coma) and tail.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Crap crimes: Eight examples of staggering stupidity.

Thieves who broke into a prison, a glue-sniffer who got stuck to the scene of the crime and a robber who tried to pay for a beer with the bartender’s own credit card - these are just a few tales of criminal stupidity featured in a new book called ‘Crap Crimes’, written by brothers Simon and Martin Toseland. Here are our top picks from the book - truly eight of the world's ‘crappiest crimes.’
1 Escape failTwo teenagers caught breaking into a car scaled a fence to get away – without realising there was a prison on the other side. One police officer said: "People don’t break into prison every day, let alone the notorious San Quentin penitentiary." The prison is California’s oldest jail, with the state’s only gas chamber - although the pair didn't meet their maker as a direct consequence of their actions in this case.
2 See-through crime
A would-be thief claimed he paid a ‘wizard’ for spells to make him invisible while he robbed a bank. He was quickly overpowered by customers in the Iranian bank when he started snatching cash from their hands. He told a court he had paid the equivalent of hundreds of pounds to the ‘wizard’ for the invisibility spells, but had since realised he’d been duped. 3 Stuck on glue
A glue-sniffer found himself in a sticky situation after getting his high direct from a large vat of gloop in a glue factory. The addict accidentally knocked the tank over as the fumes overwhelmed him. When he woke up, he found himself stuck fast to the floor. Unable to move he was eventually found by workers who called the fire brigade to free him.
4 Who needs legal aid?
A man charged with stealing a car should perhaps have engaged his brain before his mouth when he admitted to a crime before making a plea. When asked by the judge if he pleaded guilty or not guilty, he responded with: "Let me explain why I stole the car." While the man’s lawyer sunk to his seat, the judge made an unsurprisingly quick ruling and moved on.
5 My credit’s no good here sir!

A thief was caught out after attempting to pay for a beer with the stolen credit card of the bartender who was serving him. Earlier the drinker had broken into a car in New York and made off with a wallet containing the card. Following the theft he decided to treat himself to a drink at a nearby bar. Imagine the bartender’s surprise when his customer handed over the credit card bearing his name. He called the police and the thief was arrested. 6 Dumbnuts was here
A teenage vandal who broke into a children’s activity centre and drew graffiti all over the walls made the rather silly mistake of signing his handiwork with his own name. After setting off fire extinguishers, smashing plates and cups and generally making the building look like a war zone, he and a friend drew all over the walls in colouring pens. He soon realised that signing his graffiti with his own name was a mistake though as the police easily tracked him down.
7 Repeat after me…
Police in Mexico City asked each man in a line-up of robbery suspects to repeat the words “Give me your money or I’ll shoot you”. They were astonished when the first man protested: "But that’s not what I said." Job done!
8 Robbery not on the menu

A robbery was thwarted by a Burger King cashier who mechanically followed the rules of her training. The would-be felon walked into the fast-food restaurant at 7.50am. He brandished a gun in front of the server and demanded she hand over all the cash. The young woman stared at him blankly and said she couldn’t open the till without a food order. He thought for a minute then ordered his favourite – onion rings. “We don’t serve those for breakfast, sir,” she responded, at which point the robber decided to take his order elsewhere.:bandit:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker, Happy Landings Day!

Nope not in honour of your BMX prowess of late, as on this day in 1854 - Allied armies, including those of Britain & France, land in Crimea.

The Crimean War (October 1853 – February 1856) was a conflict between the Russian Empire and an alliance of the French Empire, the British Empire, the Ottoman Empire, and the Kingdom of Sardinia. The war was part of a long-running contest between major European powers for influence over territories of the declining Ottoman Empire. Most of the conflict took place on the Crimean peninsula, but there were smaller campaigns in eastern Anatolia, Caucasus, the Baltic Sea, the Pacific Ocean and the White Sea. In Russia, this war is also known as the "Eastern War" (Russian: Восточная война, Vostochnaya Voina), and in Britain it was also called the "Russian War" at the time.
The Crimean War is known for logistical and tactical errors during the land campaign on both sides (the naval side saw both a successful Allied campaign which eliminated most of the ships of the Russian Navy in the Black Sea, and a successful blockade by the Royal Navy in the Baltic). Nonetheless, it is sometimes considered to be one of the first "modern" wars as it "introduced technical changes which affected the future course of warfare", including the first tactical use of railways and the electric telegraph. It is also famous for the work of Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole, who pioneered modern nursing practices while caring for wounded British soldiers.
The Crimean War was one of the first wars to be documented extensively in written reports and photographs: notably by William Russell (writing for The Times newspaper) and the photographs of Roger Fenton. News from war correspondents reached all nations involved in the war and kept the public citizenry of those nations better informed of the day-to-day events of the war than had been the case in any other war to that date. However, nowhere more than Britain was the public kept better informed of the day-to-day realities of the war in the Crimea. Consequently, public opinion played a larger role in this war than in any other war in history. Furthermore, the advent of steamships and the telegraph meant that news from the war zone in the Crimea sped its way to western Europe and London in five days. After the French extended the telegraph from Bucharest to Varna on the coast of the Black Sea during the winter of 1854, the news reached London in two days. Then, when the British laid an underwater cable from Varna across the Black Sea to their supply port on the southern coast of the Crimean peninsula in April 1855, news from the front reached London in a few hours. The relatively instantaneous news created a real "patriotism" among the middle classes of England which brought down the coalition Aberdeen government and brought Lord Palmerston into office as Prime Minister.

As a wee aside many clothing types get their name from this rough period. There was Lord Raglan (of sleeves fame), the Cardigan, the balaclava and later Wellingtons from that famous Duke.

Guess who said this?
I looked in all the places you aren't. I just can't find the places you are. I only know that you are where I am not.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Found this while wandering the web the other day and thought it was such a brilliant diorama that I had to share. Have a look at the LINK for more pictures from all angles. Stunning.

557538_357264264348086_900000829_n.jpg

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Wow, that diorama is brilliant, the details are exceptional. No idea who said your quote though.

From a couple of posts back.
An old quote: "We shall build a tower that will reach to the stars!" Having conceived Babel, yet unable to build it themselves, they had thousands to build it for them. But those who toiled knew nothing of the dreams of those who planned. And the minds that planned the Tower of Babel cared nothing for the workers who built it. The hymns of praise of the few became the curses of the many - BABEL! BABEL! BABEL! - Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a Mediator, and this must be the heart.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Wow, that diorama is brilliant, the details are exceptional. No idea who said your quote though.

From a couple of posts back.

To my shame I had to google this. I kicked myself once I had.

The most beautiful quote so far.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Curiosity got the better of me so I goggled it too. I have this film of DVD but haven't watched it yet. Always promised myself I would one day.

Beautiful film, had to cheat and google the quote though. Pa get a nice bottle of wine and spend a rainy Sunday watching it soon, you'll be glad you did.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
To my shame I had to google this. I kicked myself once I had.

The most beautiful quote so far.

THANKS Huon.

Curiosity got the better of me so I goggled it too. I have this film of DVD but haven't watched it yet. Always promised myself I would one day.

Make it soon mate, you won't regret it.

Beautiful film, had to cheat and google the quote though. Pa get a nice bottle of wine and spend a rainy Sunday watching it soon, you'll be glad you did.

I'm a little surprised none of you got it, What with the broad range of knowledge between us special one's. :lmao: It's down to cousin petro now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE