crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Space picture today.
4th September 2013.

View attachment 22010

IRAS 20324: Evaporating Protostar
Image Credit: NASA, ESA, Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA), and IPHAS

Explanation: Will this caterpillar-shaped interstellar cloud one day evolve into a butterfly-shaped nebula? No one is sure. What is sure is that IRAS 20324+4057, on the inside, is contracting to form a new star. On the outside, however, energetic winds are blowing and energetic light is eroding away much of the gas and dust that might have been used to form the star. Therefore, no one is sure what mass the resulting star will have, and, therefore, no one knows the fate of this star. Were the winds and light to whittle the protostar down near the mass of the Sun, the outer atmosphere of this new star may one day expand into a planetary nebula, possibly even one that looks like a butterfly. Alternatively, if the stellar cocoon retains enough mass, a massive star will form that will one day explode in a supernova. The eroding protostellar nebula IRAS 20324+4057 spans about one light year and lies about 4,500 light years away toward the constellation of the Swan (Cygnus). The above image of IRAS 20324+4057 was taken with the Hubble Space Telescope in 2006 but released last week. The battle between gravity and light will likely take over 100,000 years to play out, but clever observations and deductions may yet yield telling clues well before that.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. First film I went to see without my parents. My brother and I went and I couldn't believe how funny and surreal it was. (Then I started going to the Saturday Morning Movie Show at the cinema, A mix of sugar fuelled kids, cartoons, B-movies and serials. Was great fun. Though I supposedly wasn't allowed more than one sweetie and had to take sandwiches! Blinking parents.
Anyhow, Biker on this day in 1666 -The Great Fire of London ends, leaving 13,200 houses destroyed and 8 dead.

The Great Fire of London was a major conflagration that swept through the central parts of the English city of London, from Sunday, 2 September to Wednesday, 5 September 1666. The fire gutted the medieval City of London inside the old Roman City Wall. It threatened, but did not reach, the aristocratic district of Westminster, Charles II's Palace of Whitehall, and most of the suburban slums. It consumed 13,200 houses, 87 parish churches, St. Paul's Cathedral and most of the buildings of the City authorities. It is estimated to have destroyed the homes of 70,000 of the City's 80,000 inhabitants. The death toll is unknown but traditionally thought to have been small, as only six to eight verified deaths were recorded. This reasoning has recently been challenged on the grounds that the deaths of poor and middle-class people were not recorded, while the heat of the fire may have cremated many victims leaving no recognisable remains.
The Great Fire started at the bakery of Thomas Farriner (or Farynor) on Pudding Lane, shortly after midnight on Sunday, 2 September, and spread rapidly west across the City of London. The use of the major firefighting technique of the time, the creation of firebreaks by means of demolition, was critically delayed owing to the indecisiveness of the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Thomas Bloodworth. By the time large-scale demolitions were ordered on Sunday night, the wind had already fanned the bakery fire into a firestorm which defeated such measures. The fire pushed north on Monday into the heart of the City. Order in the streets broke down as rumours arose of suspicious foreigners setting fires. The fears of the homeless focused on the French and Dutch, England's enemies in the ongoing Second Anglo-Dutch War; these substantial immigrant groups became victims of lynchings and street violence. On Tuesday, the fire spread over most of the City, destroying St. Paul's Cathedral and leaping the River Fleet to threaten Charles II's court at Whitehall, while coordinated firefighting efforts were simultaneously mobilising. The battle to quench the fire is considered to have been won by two factors: the strong east winds died down, and the Tower of London garrison used gunpowder to create effective firebreaks to halt further spread eastward.
The social and economic problems created by the disaster were overwhelming. Evacuation from London and resettlement elsewhere were strongly encouraged by Charles II, who feared a London rebellion amongst the dispossessed refugees. Despite numerous radical proposals, London was reconstructed on essentially the same street plan used before the fire.[SUP][/SUP]

Movie Quote.

Which film is this exchange from?

E: Yes?
H: I don't know what I want, but I want it now!
E: Fried or fried, dear?
H: Now!
E: Fried?
H: I want my meat burned like Saint Joan.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Voyager 1 Voyager 1
Voyager 1
Mission type Planetary exploration
Mission duration 35 years, 11 months, and 30 days elapsed
Planetary mission: 3 years, 3 months, 9 days
Interstellar mission: 32 years, 8 months, and 21 days elapsed (continuin
Start of mission
Launch date September 5, 1977, 12:56:00 UTC
Rocket Titan IIIE
Launch site Cape Canaveral LC-41
Flyby of Jupiter
Closest approach April 13, 1979
Distance 349,000 kilometres (217,000 mi)
Flyby of Saturn
Closest approach December 14, 1980
Distance 124,000 kilometres (77,000 mi)

The Voyager 1 spacecraft is a 722 kilograms (1,590 lb) space probe launched by NASA on September 5, 1977 to study the outer Solar System and interstellar medium. Operating for 35 years, 11 months, and 30 days as of 4 September 2013, the spacecraft communicates with the Deep Space Network to receive routine commands and return data.

At a distance of about 125 astronomical units (1.87×1010 km; 1.16×1010 mi) from the Sun as of August 2013,[3][4] it is the farthest man-made object from Earth and is currently traveling in a previously unstudied region of space. It is still unclear whether this region is part of interstellar space or an area within the Solar System.[5][6][7] As of 2013, the probe was moving with a relative velocity to the Sun of 17 kilometres per second (11 mi/s).[8] The amount of power available to the probe has decreased over time, and will be no longer be able to power any single instrument by 2025.

As part of the Voyager program, and like its sister craft Voyager 2, the spacecraft is in an extended mission, tasked with locating and studying the boundaries of the Solar System, including the Kuiper belt, the heliosphere and interstellar space. The primary mission ended on November 20, 1980, after encountering the Jovian system in 1979 and the Saturnian system in 1980. It was the first probe to provide detailed images of the two largest planets and their moons.

View attachment 22011 View attachment 22012

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi guys. Just home from work, been a long day. While I was sitting in the carpark they call the M25, I heard this on radio 2. A group from Perthshire called "Treacherous Orchestra". Absolutely brilliant, I thought the Scottish contingent here might enjoy it.

[video=youtube;tN_PfcVMLeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN_PfcVMLeM[/video]

Now you guys are back, I'll repost this.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Good old Sir Henry.

[video=youtube;Pa4gPaQjC1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa4gPaQjC1M[/video]

"Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you've tasted it what do you really know? And then, of course, it's too late."

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good old Sir Henry.

[video=youtube;Pa4gPaQjC1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa4gPaQjC1M[/video]

"Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you've tasted it what do you really know? And then, of course, it's too late."

I'm impressed, didn't think many would have seen the film never mind place the quote. You have a broad and unique mind sir.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Unique is not what my Psychiatrist called it. I've always liked Viv Stanshall, wacky subtle humour, Much like Tom Sharps "A blot on the landscape". The Bonzo dog doodah band, Neil Innes, Spike Milligans "Q" shows, were all great.

This is close to my heart. :lmao:

[video=youtube;esOiB_fanzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOiB_fanzI[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I enjoyed that Colin, hadn't seen it before. Might have to dig out his war diaries for a wee read again. I do like his stuff. Funnily I was listening to a podcast of one of his Desert Island Discs the other week. (Downloaded a load for the MP3 player along with my talking books for my walks.)

PS did you notice that the chap in the suit and glasses at the labour exchange is doing an excellent imitation of one of Hitler's movements during one of the big rallies?

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hitler is always in his humour. Peter Jones, The voice of the "Encyclopedia Galactica".

[video=youtube;KEjl8HtBRBA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEjl8HtBRBA&list=PL3C0C94BE4277948B[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do like the original Hitch-hiker radio plays, will have to see if I can download them sometime for my walks, or the talking books. The plays take me back to sitting in my room with the wireless on. I had a big old cabinet valve Roberts Radio and the sound quality was wonderful along with the warm orange glow.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Omg, we're really showing our ages.:lmao: Remember waking up in the winter, with frost on the inside of the windows.

Haha, I still do even with double glazing. But yes frozen windows and frost on the sheets where you'd breathed weren't uncommon. And a frosty beard wasn't uncommon ether when I lived in a caravan. I couldn't bear to zip my Buffalo sleeping bag tight over my face.

Only a couple of years ago up here so much snow fell that the neighbour in the other half of the converted stable I live in couldn't open or close his doors upstairs due to the weight on the roof. (Mind it was -20 for over a week that year.)

But yes showing our age - the very fact I still call it a wireless shows that.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Ooh, That's cold. It's a bit balmier down here, but we have our moments. Snow January to March.

View attachment 22018

St James Park Opp Buckingham Palace 1963.

I was learning to walk in that lot :)

Re. Milligan, a great comedian in writing or in person. Not everything he wrote was funny. Have you read "Small Dreams of a Scorpion"?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
1899 September 6 - .

American Astronomical Society founded

1944 September 6 - . LV Family: V-2. Launch Vehicle: V-2.

V-2 in operation. - . Nation: Germany. Despite the first production deliveries, development of the missile was still not complete. The accuracy was still too poor, and the fusing was still not optimum to maximise damage at the target. Furthermore there was no method of actually determining the performance and effectiveness of missiles fired in combat, since air reconnaissance of Britain was now impossible. The only source of information was reports from agents on the ground. The availability of alcohol fuel was a limiting factor in the firing rate. Underground facilities for alcohol production had been built at Luettich and Wittringen an der Saar. Liquid oxygen was delivered to the firing areas in 48 tonne railroad wagons, then distributed to the firing units in 5 to 8 tonne capacity trucks. Due to boil off and transfer losses, 9 tonnes had to be generated at the factory in order for the 4.96 tonnes required for each rocket to be available at launch. The railroad wagons lost 350 l/day, but a V-2 on hold, awaiting launch, boiled off liquid oxygen at 2 kg/minute. Average daily launch rate from the field in the fall of 1944 was 28-30 missiles against enemy targets, together with 5 to 7 shots for research and engine tests. Kammler was only interested in maximising the number of combat launches per day - he showed no interest in the effectiveness or results of the missile as a weapon. During production, some small modifications were introduced - an increase in propellant feed rate and combustion chamber pressure, elimination of electrical equipment made unnecessary by the use of the integrating accelerometer guidance system, and an increase in propellant capacity. These changes increased the range of the production missiles to 320 km. A few research rockets with larger propellant tanks reached 480 km. The external paint used on the V-2 was protected from burning through use of a graphite coating.

[video=youtube;WjFTN-YdK_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjFTN-YdK_M[/video]

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I was learning to walk in that lot :)

Re. Milligan, a great comedian in writing or in person. Not everything he wrote was funny. Have you read "Small Dreams of a Scorpion"?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

I agree that not everything he wrote was funny, but we have to remember he was a manic depressive, and his writings were subject to his emotional swings.
I've not heard of "Small Dreams of a Scorpion", will look it up today.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE