Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I agree that not everything he wrote was funny, but we have to remember he was a manic depressive, and his writings were subject to his emotional swings.
I've not heard of "Small Dreams of a Scorpion", will look it up today.

I said that it wasn't funny not that it wasn't good. Personally I think it gives an insight into his condition.

Very painful to read though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker, Happy Heracles Day!

On this day in 1251 BC - A solar eclipse on this date might mark the birth of legendary Heracles at Thebes, Greece.
A major factor in the well-known tragedies surrounding Heracles is the hatred that the goddess Hera, wife of Zeus, had for him. A full account of Heracles must render it clear why Heracles was so tormented by Hera, when there were many illegitimate offspring sired by Zeus. Heracles was the son of the affair Zeus had with the mortal woman Alcmene. Zeus made love to her after disguising himself as her husband, Amphitryon, home early from war (Amphitryon did return later the same night, and Alcmene became pregnant with his son at the same time, a case of heteropaternal superfecundation, where a woman carries twins sired by different fathers). Thus, Heracles' very existence proved at least one of Zeus' many illicit affairs, and Hera often conspired against Zeus' mortal offspring as revenge for her husband's infidelities. His twin mortal brother, son of Amphitryon, was Iphicles, father of Heracles' charioteer Iolaus.
On the night the twins Heracles and Iphicles were to be born, Hera, knowing of her husband Zeus' adultery, persuaded Zeus to swear an oath that the child born that night to a member of the House of Perseus would become High King. Hera did this knowing that while Heracles was to be born a descendant of Perseus, so too was Eurystheus. Once the oath was sworn, Hera hurried to Alcmene's dwelling and slowed the birth of the twins Heracles and Iphicles by forcing Ilithyia, goddess of childbirth, to sit cross-legged with her clothing tied in knots, thereby causing the twins to be trapped in the womb. Meanwhile, Hera caused Eurystheus to be born prematurely, making him High King in place of Heracles. She would have permanently delayed Heacles' birth had she not been fooled by Galanthis, Alcmene's servant, who lied to Ilithyia, saying that Alcmene had already delivered the baby. Upon hearing this, she jumped in surprise, loosing the knots and inadvertently allowing Alcmene to give birth to Heracles and Iphicles.

Fear of Hera's revenge led Alcmene to expose the infant Heracles, but he was taken up and brought to Hera by his half-sister Athena, who played an important role as protectress of heroes. Hera did not recognize Heracles and nursed him out of pity. Heracles suckled so strongly that he caused Hera pain, and she pushed him away. Her milk sprayed across the heavens and there formed the Milky Way. But with divine milk, Heracles had acquired supernatural powers. Athena brought the infant back to his mother, and he was subsequently raised by his parents.
The child was originally given the name Alcides by his parents; it was only later that he became known as Heracles.[SUP][4][/SUP] He was renamed Heracles in an unsuccessful attempt to mollify Hera. He and his twin were just eight months old when Hera sent two giant snakes into the children's chamber. Iphicles cried from fear, but his brother grabbed a snake in each hand and strangled them. He was found by his nurse playing with them on his cot as if they were toys. Astonished, Amphitryon sent for the seer Tiresias, who prophesied an unusual future for the boy, saying he would vanquish numerous monsters.

Todays movie quote is: -

"Guns are for show. Knives are for pros."

What film is it from?

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Biker, Happy Heracles Day!

On this day in 1251 BC - A solar eclipse on this date might mark the birth of legendary Heracles at Thebes, Greece.
A major factor in the well-known tragedies surrounding Heracles is the hatred that the goddess Hera, wife of Zeus, had for him. A full account of Heracles must render it clear why Heracles was so tormented by Hera, when there were many illegitimate offspring sired by Zeus. Heracles was the son of the affair Zeus had with the mortal woman Alcmene. Zeus made love to her after disguising himself as her husband, Amphitryon, home early from war (Amphitryon did return later the same night, and Alcmene became pregnant with his son at the same time, a case of heteropaternal superfecundation, where a woman carries twins sired by different fathers). Thus, Heracles' very existence proved at least one of Zeus' many illicit affairs, and Hera often conspired against Zeus' mortal offspring as revenge for her husband's infidelities. His twin mortal brother, son of Amphitryon, was Iphicles, father of Heracles' charioteer Iolaus.
On the night the twins Heracles and Iphicles were to be born, Hera, knowing of her husband Zeus' adultery, persuaded Zeus to swear an oath that the child born that night to a member of the House of Perseus would become High King. Hera did this knowing that while Heracles was to be born a descendant of Perseus, so too was Eurystheus. Once the oath was sworn, Hera hurried to Alcmene's dwelling and slowed the birth of the twins Heracles and Iphicles by forcing Ilithyia, goddess of childbirth, to sit cross-legged with her clothing tied in knots, thereby causing the twins to be trapped in the womb. Meanwhile, Hera caused Eurystheus to be born prematurely, making him High King in place of Heracles. She would have permanently delayed Heacles' birth had she not been fooled by Galanthis, Alcmene's servant, who lied to Ilithyia, saying that Alcmene had already delivered the baby. Upon hearing this, she jumped in surprise, loosing the knots and inadvertently allowing Alcmene to give birth to Heracles and Iphicles.

Fear of Hera's revenge led Alcmene to expose the infant Heracles, but he was taken up and brought to Hera by his half-sister Athena, who played an important role as protectress of heroes. Hera did not recognize Heracles and nursed him out of pity. Heracles suckled so strongly that he caused Hera pain, and she pushed him away. Her milk sprayed across the heavens and there formed the Milky Way. But with divine milk, Heracles had acquired supernatural powers. Athena brought the infant back to his mother, and he was subsequently raised by his parents.
The child was originally given the name Alcides by his parents; it was only later that he became known as Heracles.[SUP][4][/SUP] He was renamed Heracles in an unsuccessful attempt to mollify Hera. He and his twin were just eight months old when Hera sent two giant snakes into the children's chamber. Iphicles cried from fear, but his brother grabbed a snake in each hand and strangled them. He was found by his nurse playing with them on his cot as if they were toys. Astonished, Amphitryon sent for the seer Tiresias, who prophesied an unusual future for the boy, saying he would vanquish numerous monsters.

Todays movie quote is: -

"Guns are for show. Knives are for pros."

What film is it from?

AHHH that's where biker is , he growing his hair long again!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Today. 03.27 GMT

The US space agency (Nasa) has launched its latest mission to the Moon.

The unmanned LADEE probe lifted off from the Wallops rocket facility on the US east coast on schedule at 23:27 local time (03:27 GMT on Saturday).

Its $280m (£180m) mission is to investigate the very tenuous atmosphere that surrounds the lunar body.

It will also try to get some insights on the strange behaviour of moondust, which appears on occasions to levitate high above the surface.

In addition, LADEE will test a new laser communications system that Nasa hopes at some point to put on future planetary missions. Lasers have the capacity to transmit data at rates that dwarf conventional radio connections.
Continue reading the main story
The Moon's exosphere

Lunar atmosphere thought to be only 1/100,000th the density of Earth's atmosphere
Earth's atmosphere contains some 100 billion air molecules per cubic cm at sea level
May be only about 100,000 to 10 million molecules per cubic cm at the Moon's surface
Very little known about this atmosphere's precise atomic and molecular composition

LADEE stands for Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer.
Collisionless environment

Its programme scientist, Sarah Noble, says the mission is likely to surprise a lot of people who have been brought up to believe the Moon has no atmosphere.

“It does; it’s just it's really, really thin,” she told reporters.

“It’s so thin that the individual molecules are so few and far between that they don’t interact with each other; they never collide.

“It’s something we call an exosphere. The Earth has an exosphere as well, but you have to get out past where the International Space Station orbits before you get to this condition that we can consider an exosphere. At the Moon, it happens right at the surface.”
LADEE The Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer will operate for a total of about six months

Scientists are interested in understanding such wispy shrouds because they are actually the most common type of atmosphere in the Solar System. Mercury has one, as do a lot of the moons of the giant planets. Even some big asteroids are likely to have one, too.

The dust phenomenon has puzzled researchers for decades. Apollo astronauts reported seeing a diffuse glow above the lunar horizon just before sunrise. The speculation has been that this glow was caused by electrically charged dust particles being lifted from the Moon's surface by ultraviolet light from the Sun. LADEE’s remote-sensing and sampling instrumentation will test this idea.

What it learns about the dust is also likely to inform engineers who are developing the systems to take humans back to the Moon and to other destinations where dust could be an issue, such as on asteroids.

This fine particulate material, which comprises remnant rock shattered through eons of meteorite impacts, is considered a major hazard.

“It’s not like terrestrial dust,” observed Butler Hine, Nasa’s LADEE project manager.

“Terrestrial dust is like talcum powder. On the Moon, it’s very rough. It’s kinda evil. It follows electric field lines; it works its way into equipment. One of the questions about dust on the Moon is an engineering question: how do you design things so that they can survive the dust environment.”
Continue reading the main story

Spacecraft is 2.4m high and 1.8m wide, and weighs 383kg fully fuelled
Based on a new low-cost modular chassis for use on other planetary missions
Mission will last six months in total with 100-day science observation phase
LADEE will be crashed into the lunar surface when its fuel supply has run out View attachment 22076 View attachment 22077

Apollo astronauts found the chaffing moondust would stick to everything. And there are concerns that if such material were breathed in, it could lead to respiratory problems.

Having been launched by its Minotaur V rocket, LADEE will be sent on a long spiral out to the Moon. This will take about a month. A further month will then be needed to commission the spacecraft before its altitude is taken down to as low as 20km above the surface for a 100-day phase of science observations.

LADEE will end its mission by crashing into the Moon.

As well as its three science instruments, LADEE carries a demonstration laser telecommunications payload.

This system promises a big jump in data transmission rates. Engineers are hoping the test terminal on LADEE will achieve download rates in the region of 600 megabits per second. A number of receiving stations on Earth will be used, including the European Space Agency’s (Esa) optical ground station on Tenerife.

[video=youtube;hf0SIRxXvRo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf0SIRxXvRo[/video]

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Now,now children, don't make daddy angry, you won't like him when he's angry.

View attachment 22081

No indeed we don't.
Robert_Bruce_Banner_(Earth-58163).jpg

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Balmaha and that's loch lomand from the east.. If you notice all the islands are in a row, because that's the line of the Highland boundary fault Colin.
Bob

Cheers Bob. I must get up to Scotland and see some of the sights. The only time I've been north of the border, was through work, so I didn't get to see too much.

Colin.

Not going to be around much for the next week or so, happy postings to you all.

Last edited:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Huon! What is Daddy telling that lady to do!? I'm frightened.

I'm not sure. Perhaps Auntie Rub can tell us?

Dad liked the ladies didn't he? I always thought it was sad that they usually hated him

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm not sure. Perhaps Auntie Rub can tell us?

Dad liked the ladies didn't he? I always thought it was sad that they usually hated him

To be fair men and animals hated him too...

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
To be fair men and animals hated him too...

No surprise I guess. Even the cockroaches tended to steer clear and he used to be pretty kind to them. Remember the fun he used to have with a box, a son and a bucket of cockroaches? Boy did I laugh when it wasn't me in the box!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE