Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Late today, could be of interest to GB.

Discovered today in 1892.

Orbiting within Io's orbit, which is the innermost of the four largest moons of Jupiter (called the Galilean moons), are four smaller moons named Metis, Adrastea, Amalthea, and Thebe.

All the moons within this grouping are oddly shaped, lacking either the mass and/or fluidity of composition to pull themselves into a reasonably spherical shape. The Galileo spacecraft has revealed some surface features, including impact craters, hills and valleys.

Amalthea is the largest within this grouping with a mean radius of about 83.5 ± 2.4 km. Amalthea orbits 181,400 km from its parent planet Jupiter. Amalthea takes 0.498 Earth days to complete one orbit.

Amalthea is the reddest object in the solar system and it appears to give out more heat than it receives from the sun. This may be because, as it orbits within Jupiter's powerful magnetic field, electric currents are included in the moon's core. Alternatively, the heat could be from tidal stresses.

Amalthea and Thebe rotate on their axes once for each orbit around Jupiter, always keeping the same side facing the planet. This orbit takes about one-half an Earth day for Amalthea and two-thirds an Earth day for Thebe.

Amalthea and the moon Thebe provide the material for the Gossamer ring.

Since Io orbits about 422,000 km above Jupiter and, at this close distance, is subjected to extreme tidal flexing from Jupiter's gravity, one would imagine that this even closer satellite would be pulled to pieces. However, because it is so small (Amalthea's diameter is 1/19th that of Io's diameter) it is relatively immune to the effects of tidal forces. Since Amalthea is so close to its parent planet its orbit will eventually decay and it will fall into the planet.

Discovery:
Amalthea was discovered 9 September 1892 by Edward Emerson Barnard.

How Amalthea Got its Name:
Originally designated Jupiter V, Camille Flammarion suggested the name Amalthea for this moon. Amalthea is named for a naiad who nursed the new-born Jupiter. Amalthea is often depicted with a goat, whose milk is said to have fed the infant Jupiter.

View attachment 22146 View attachment 22147 View attachment 22148

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
movie quote.

"Well, it's nothing
special. Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat,
read a good book every now and then, get some
walking in and try and live together in peace and
harmony with people of all creeds and nations."

@crosslandkelly.

You know jupiter be a name for the Zeus god. Intresting reading that one better than the satellite one.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
You know jupiter be a name for the Zeus god. Intresting reading that one better than the satellite one.

The Roman name for Zeus is Jupiter and sometimes Jove. Jupiter is thought to be made up of a Proto-Indoeuropean word for god, *deiw-os, combined with the word for father, pater, like Zeus + Pater.

Ah Monty Pythons "The meaning of life", Good film.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
The Roman name for Zeus is Jupiter and sometimes Jove. Jupiter is thought to be made up of a Proto-Indoeuropean word for god, *deiw-os, combined with the word for father, pater, like Zeus + Pater.

Ah Monty Pythons "The meaning of life", Good film.

By Monty Python standards 'twas mediocre but worth a watch for classics like the Mr. Creosote sketch.

I identify with death since finishing my snath }-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
By Monty Python standards 'twas mediocre but worth a watch for classics like the Mr. Creosote sketch.

I identify with death since finishing my snath }-)

I wanted to post the Mr Creosote clip, but like Nyotaimori, a bit of a no no on a family forum.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I wanted to post the Mr Creosote clip, but like Nyotaimori, a bit of a no no on a family forum.

The word is safe enough. The literal translation is not offensive (in my opinion) I don't think Mr. Creosote was THAT bad either but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Computer Bugs Day!
On this day in 1947 - 1st "bug" in a computer program discovered by Grace Hopper, a moth was removed with tweezers from a relay & taped into the log.
In 1947, Grace Murray Hopper was working on the Harvard University Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator (a primitive computer).
On the 9th of September, 1947, when the machine was experiencing problems, an investigation showed that there was a moth trapped between the points of Relay #70, in Panel F.
The operators removed the moth and affixed it to the log. The entry reads: "First actual case of bug being found."

The word went out that they had "debugged" the machine and the term "debugging a computer program" was born.
Although Grace Hopper was always careful to admit that she was not there when it actually happened, it was one of her favourite stories.
The Exhibit
One of the most common stories about the moth, and a story I often repeated, was that the moth was on display at the Smithsonian.
A correspondent for the Online Hacker Jargon File decided to check on it and guess what . . . it wasn't there.
In 1990, the editor of the Online Hacker Jargon File did some investigating. Turns out that the log, with the moth still taped by the entry, was in the Naval Surface Warfare Centre Computer Museum at Dahlgren, Virginia. They had tried to donate it to the Smithsonian, but that the Smithsonian wouldn't accept it.
The 1990 curator of the History of American Technology Museum (part of the Smithsonian) didn't know all of this, agreed to accept it, and took it in 1991. It took years to be actually exhibited due to space and money constraints.
As the Online Hacker Jargon File notes
Thus, the process of investigating the original-computer-bug bug fixed it in an entirely unexpected way, by making the myth true!
The Term
So, where did the term "bug" come from?
Well, the entry ("First actual case of bug being found.") shows that the term was already in use before the moth was discovered. Grace Hopper also reported that the term "bug" was used to describe problems in radar electronics during WWII.
The term was use during Thomas Edison's life to mean an industrial defect. And in Hawkins's New Catechism of Electricity, an 1896 electrical handbook from Theo. Audel & Co.) included the entry:
The term "bug" is used to a limited extent to designate any fault or trouble in the connections or working of electric apparatus.
In discussing the origin of the term, the book notes that the term is
said to have originated in quadruplex telegraphy and have been transferred to all electric apparatus.
Common folk etymology says that the phrase "bugs in a telephone cable" was used to account for noisy lines. There is no support for this derivation.
However, the term "bug" was used in the early days of telegraphy. There were the older "manual" keyers that required the operator to code the dots and dashes. And there were the newer, semi-automatic keyers that would send a string of dots automatically. These semi-automatic keyers were called "bugs". One of the most common brands of these keyers, the Vibroplex, used (and still does use) a graphic of a beetle.
These semi-automatic "bugs" were very useful, but required both skill and experience to use. If you were not experienced, using such a "bug" would mean garbled Morse Code.
Radio technicians also used the term "bug" to describe a roach-shaped device consisting of a coil of wire with the two ends of wire sticking out and bent back to nearly touch each other. This device was used to look for radio emissions. This term "bug" was probably a predecessor to the modern use of "bug" to mean a covert monitoring or listening device.
But, lets go way, way back to Shakespeare. In Henry VI, part III, Act V, Scene II, King Edward says "So, lie thout there. Die though; and die our fear; For Warwick was a bug that feared us all."
Samuel Johnson's first dictionary includes a definition of "bug" to mean a frightful object; a walking spectre
h96566k.jpg

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Biker! Happy Computer Bugs Day!
On this day in 1947 - 1st "bug" in a computer program discovered by Grace Hopper, a moth was removed with tweezers from a relay & taped into the log.
In 1947, Grace Murray Hopper was working on the Harvard University Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator (a primitive computer).
On the 9th of September, 1947, when the machine was experiencing problems, an investigation showed that there was a moth trapped between the points of Relay #70, in Panel F.
The operators removed the moth and affixed it to the log. The entry reads: "First actual case of bug being found."

The word went out that they had "debugged" the machine and the term "debugging a computer program" was born.
Although Grace Hopper was always careful to admit that she was not there when it actually happened, it was one of her favourite stories.
The Exhibit
One of the most common stories about the moth, and a story I often repeated, was that the moth was on display at the Smithsonian.
A correspondent for the Online Hacker Jargon File decided to check on it and guess what . . . it wasn't there.
In 1990, the editor of the Online Hacker Jargon File did some investigating. Turns out that the log, with the moth still taped by the entry, was in the Naval Surface Warfare Centre Computer Museum at Dahlgren, Virginia. They had tried to donate it to the Smithsonian, but that the Smithsonian wouldn't accept it.
The 1990 curator of the History of American Technology Museum (part of the Smithsonian) didn't know all of this, agreed to accept it, and took it in 1991. It took years to be actually exhibited due to space and money constraints.
As the Online Hacker Jargon File notes
Thus, the process of investigating the original-computer-bug bug fixed it in an entirely unexpected way, by making the myth true!
The Term
So, where did the term "bug" come from?
Well, the entry ("First actual case of bug being found.") shows that the term was already in use before the moth was discovered. Grace Hopper also reported that the term "bug" was used to describe problems in radar electronics during WWII.
The term was use during Thomas Edison's life to mean an industrial defect. And in Hawkins's New Catechism of Electricity, an 1896 electrical handbook from Theo. Audel & Co.) included the entry:
The term "bug" is used to a limited extent to designate any fault or trouble in the connections or working of electric apparatus.
In discussing the origin of the term, the book notes that the term is
said to have originated in quadruplex telegraphy and have been transferred to all electric apparatus.
Common folk etymology says that the phrase "bugs in a telephone cable" was used to account for noisy lines. There is no support for this derivation.
However, the term "bug" was used in the early days of telegraphy. There were the older "manual" keyers that required the operator to code the dots and dashes. And there were the newer, semi-automatic keyers that would send a string of dots automatically. These semi-automatic keyers were called "bugs". One of the most common brands of these keyers, the Vibroplex, used (and still does use) a graphic of a beetle.
These semi-automatic "bugs" were very useful, but required both skill and experience to use. If you were not experienced, using such a "bug" would mean garbled Morse Code.
Radio technicians also used the term "bug" to describe a roach-shaped device consisting of a coil of wire with the two ends of wire sticking out and bent back to nearly touch each other. This device was used to look for radio emissions. This term "bug" was probably a predecessor to the modern use of "bug" to mean a covert monitoring or listening device.
But, lets go way, way back to Shakespeare. In Henry VI, part III, Act V, Scene II, King Edward says "So, lie thout there. Die though; and die our fear; For Warwick was a bug that feared us all."
Samuel Johnson's first dictionary includes a definition of "bug" to mean a frightful object; a walking spectre
h96566k.jpg

All of which leads us to:
bug-vs-feature.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Biker, Happy Headless Chicken Day!

On this day in 1945 - Mike the Headless Chicken is decapitated; he survives for another 18 months before choking to death.

Mike the Headless Chicken (April 1945 – March 1947), also known as Miracle Mike, was a Wyandotte chicken that lived for 18 months after his head had been cut off. Thought by many to be a hoax, the bird's owner took him to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City to establish the facts of the story.
[SUP]
On September 10, 1945, farmer Lloyd Olsen of Fruita, Colorado, United States, had his mother-in-law around for supper and was sent out to the yard by his wife to bring back a chicken. Olsen chose a five-and-a-half-month-old cockerel named Mike. The axe missed the jugular vein, leaving one ear and most of the brain stem intact.

Despite Olsen's botched handiwork, Mike was still able to balance on a perch and walk clumsily; he even attempted to preen and crow, although he could do neither. When the bird did not die, a surprised Mr Olsen decided to continue to care permanently for Mike, feeding him a mixture of milk and water via an eyedropper; he was also fed small grains of corn. It is not recorded what was eaten for supper that night.

When used to his new and unusual centre of mass, Mike could easily get himself to the highest perches without falling. His crowing, though, was less impressive and consisted of a gurgling sound made in his throat, leaving him unable to crow at dawn. Mike also spent his time preening and attempting to peck for food with his neck.
[SUP]In March 1947, at a motel in Phoenix on a stopover whilst travelling back from tour, Mike started choking in the middle of the night. The Olsen's had inadvertently left their feeding and cleaning syringes at the sideshow the day before, and so were unable to save Mike. Olsen claimed that he had sold the bird off, resulting in stories of Mike still touring the country as late as 1949. Other sources say that the chicken's severed trachea could not take in enough air properly to be able to breathe; and therefore choked to death in the motel.

It was determined that the axe had missed the carotid artery and a clot had prevented Mike from bleeding to death. Although most of his head was severed, most of his brain stem and one ear were left on his body. Since basic functions (breathing, heart-rate, etc.) as well as most of a chicken's reflex actions are controlled by the brain stem, Mike was able to remain quite healthy. This is a good example of central motor generators enabling basic homeostatic functions to be carried out in the absence of the cerebral cortex.

Mike the Headless Chicken is now an institution in Fruita, Colorado, with an annual "Mike the Headless Chicken Day", the third weekend of May, starting in 1999. Events held include the "5K Run Like a Headless Chicken Race", egg toss, "Pin the Head on the Chicken", the "Chicken Cluck-Off", and "Chicken Bingo", in which chicken droppings on a numbered grid choose the numbers.

[/SUP]

[/SUP]
]

TV/Movie Quiz, remember no Googling.

•Who lived at 52 Festive Road?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Bear caught mating with moose, heard to remark "this is what you do in a survival situation" Accusations fly that Mr Grills doesn't have his priorities right.

Bear grills kills Guerillas in cave. Really mr grills you've gone too far this time.

More bear grill jokes at

www.sickipedia.org/jokes/celebrities/bear-grylls-2603

his encyclopedia entry at uncyclopedia - the content free encyclopedia

uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bear_Grylls

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
"My wings are like a shield of steel"

batfink

" jimmy, have you ever seen a grown man naked?"
Well done to mine Bob and I'm sure Petrochemicals is correct too - only Bob knows!....

" jimmy, have you ever seen a grown man naked?" I'm pretty sure that's "Police Squad" with Leslie Neilson - and don't call me Shirley.

And mine is: - 'Yes, but no sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall KILL you.'

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE