Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Sorry it's late, been very busy today.

2nd September 1961:
Thirty days exposure to simulated vacuum of space killed bacteria by causing them to disintegrate molecule by molecule, was finding of studies reported by the Materials Testing Laboratory of Hughes Aircraft Co. Dr. Charles G. Walence reported that sterilization of space vehicles probably could be eliminated from current planning.

Landing ofSTS-51-I

Crew: Covey, Engle, Fisher William, Lounge, van Hoften. First retrieval, repair, and relaunch of a satellite in orbit (Leasat 3). Manned five crew. Launched Aussat 1, ASC 1, Leasat 4. Suffered primary O-ring erosion in two locations on the left-hand SRM nozzle joint.

Manned five crew. Launched Aussat 1, ASC 1, Leasat 4; repaired Leasat 3. Payloads: Deploy ASC (American Satellite Company)-1 with Payload Assist Modue (PAM)-D. Deploy AUSSAT (Australian communications satellite)-1 with PAM-D. Deploy Syncom IV-4 communications satellite with its unique stage. Retrieve Leasat-3 communications satellite, repair and deploy by extravehicular activity (EVA) astronauts. Physical Vapor Transport Organic Solids (PVTOS) experiment.

Orbits of Earth: 111. Distance traveled: 4,698,602 km. Orbiter Liftoff Mass: 118,981 kg. Orbiter Mass at Landing: 89,208 kg. Payload to Orbit: 19,952 kg. Payload Returned: 6,101 kg. Landed at: Runway 23 dry lake bed at Edwards Air Force Base, . Landing Speed: 353 kph. Touchdown miss distance: 640 m. Landing Rollout: 1,859 m. EVA: James van Hoften and William Fisher. EVA 1 duration 7 hours, 20 minutes, EVA 2 duration 4 hours, 31 minutes.

[video=youtube;HAGbDryvXRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAGbDryvXRQ[/video]

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hey Col
Your not as late as GB has been over the last few days.
He must be watching classic british films with his last quote, then again think it is a movie of it's time.
Bob
"There's nothing like a good piece of hickory."

Sorry it's late, been very busy today.

2nd September 1961:
Thirty days exposure to simulated vacuum of space killed bacteria by causing them to disintegrate molecule by molecule, was finding of studies reported by the Materials Testing Laboratory of Hughes Aircraft Co. Dr. Charles G. Walence reported that sterilization of space vehicles probably could be eliminated from current planning.

Landing ofSTS-51-I

Crew: Covey, Engle, Fisher William, Lounge, van Hoften. First retrieval, repair, and relaunch of a satellite in orbit (Leasat 3). Manned five crew. Launched Aussat 1, ASC 1, Leasat 4. Suffered primary O-ring erosion in two locations on the left-hand SRM nozzle joint.

Manned five crew. Launched Aussat 1, ASC 1, Leasat 4; repaired Leasat 3. Payloads: Deploy ASC (American Satellite Company)-1 with Payload Assist Modue (PAM)-D. Deploy AUSSAT (Australian communications satellite)-1 with PAM-D. Deploy Syncom IV-4 communications satellite with its unique stage. Retrieve Leasat-3 communications satellite, repair and deploy by extravehicular activity (EVA) astronauts. Physical Vapor Transport Organic Solids (PVTOS) experiment.

Orbits of Earth: 111. Distance traveled: 4,698,602 km. Orbiter Liftoff Mass: 118,981 kg. Orbiter Mass at Landing: 89,208 kg. Payload to Orbit: 19,952 kg. Payload Returned: 6,101 kg. Landed at: Runway 23 dry lake bed at Edwards Air Force Base, . Landing Speed: 353 kph. Touchdown miss distance: 640 m. Landing Rollout: 1,859 m. EVA: James van Hoften and William Fisher. EVA 1 duration 7 hours, 20 minutes, EVA 2 duration 4 hours, 31 minutes.

[video=youtube;HAGbDryvXRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAGbDryvXRQ[/video]

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Heehee, I would not have got that. Must say I like the stone splitting scenes best, especially the scene with Richard "Jaws" Whatever.

[video=youtube;KwFm2cDFIvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwFm2cDFIvU[/video]

Not a quote, a location. "The Slaughtered Lamb."

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Heehee, I would not have got that. Must say I like the stone splitting scenes best, especially the scene with Richard "Jaws" Whatever.

Not a quote, a location. "The Slaughtered Lamb."
Ah the Slaughtered Lamb - An American Werewolf In London. With a very young Rik Mayall in the bar.

[video=youtube;07FdVcspOfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07FdVcspOfQ[/video]

Another location "The Winchester".

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Ah the Slaughtered Lamb - An American Werewolf In London. With a very young Rik Mayall in the bar.

Another location "The Winchester".
Feck! Too easy

Too easy again.

[video=youtube;E_45t8G-dn0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_45t8G-dn0&list=PL7n0dgpWV6_NmuVmgd8jogbZ zOmErfZ43[/video]

How young is Ray Winstone.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Feck! Too easy

Too easy again.

[video=youtube;E_45t8G-dn0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_45t8G-dn0&list=PL7n0dgpWV6_NmuVmgd8jogbZ zOmErfZ43[/video]

How young is Ray Winstone.

Sorry didn't watch the whole episode. This "The Winchester" is in a film, not a TV show - may have been a homage though as the makers are known for that.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

On this day last year a carpet that can help prevent falls in elderly by warning them after detecting unusual footsteps was developed.
o-MANCHESTER-MAGIC-CARPET-570.jpg

It’s not quite up to the spec that Aladdin would expect, but scientists have nevertheless invented a kind of “magic carpet”.
It’s designed to prevent falls in the elderly – not by hovering, sadly – but through plastic optical fibres that map walking patterns, with a change indicating to carers that a fall could be imminent.
Researchers from the University of Manchester say that the fibres, fitted to the underlay of a carpet, bend when they’re trodden on and relay signals to a computer.

These signals can then be analysed to show the image of the footprint and identify gradual changes in walking behaviour or a sudden incident such as a fall or trip.
As many as 30 to 40% of community dwelling older people fall each year.
This is the most serious and frequent accident in the home and accounts for 50% of hospital admissions in the over-65 age group.
The scientists believe the technology could be used to fit smart carpets in care homes or hospital wards, as well as being fitted in people's homes if necessary.
Physiotherapists could also use the carpet to map changes and improvements in a person's gait.
The imaging technology is so versatile it could even be developed to detect the presence of chemical spillages or fire as an early-warning system.
The researchers, led by Dr Patricia Scully from The University of Manchester's Photon Science Institute, believe the magic carpet could be vital not only for helping people in the immediate aftermath of a fall, but also in identifying subtle changes in people's walking habits which might not be spotted by a family member or carer.
Dr Scully said: "The carpet can gather a wide range of information about a person's condition, from biomechanical to chemical sensing of body fluids, enabling holistic sensing to provide an environment that detects and responds to changes in patient condition.
"The carpet can be retrofitted at low cost, to allow living space to adapt as the occupiers' needs evolve – particularly relevant with an aging population and for those with long term disabilities – and incorporated non-intrusively into any living space or furniture surface such as a mattress or wall that a patient interacts with."
Dr Christine Brown Wilson from the School of Nursing Midwifery and Social Work said: "This project demonstrates how engineers, scientists and healthcare professionals, can work together to develop new and innovative health care technologies that make a real difference in practice."

Film Location, which film was this castle used for the interior and exterior shots?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi guys. Just home from work, been a long day. While I was sitting in the carpark they call the M25, I heard this on radio 2. A group from Perthshire called "Treacherous Orchestra". Absolutely brilliant, I thought the Scottish contingent here might enjoy it.

[video=youtube;tN_PfcVMLeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN_PfcVMLeM[/video]

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hi guys. Just home from work, been a long day. While I was sitting in the carpark they call the M25, I heard this on radio 2. A group from Perthshire called "Treacherous Orchestra". Absolutely brilliant, I thought the Scottish contingent here might enjoy it.

[video=youtube;tN_PfcVMLeM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN_PfcVMLeM[/video]

Humphf!
I'm not Scottish so I guess I'm not allowed to listen to it.

See if I care you Northern Jessies.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE