Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
'I buy stuff a lot.' Bless ;)

I had to watch the whole thing as I'm pretty sure he's naked (apart from helmet, naturally ;) ) and if it WAS my bro, I'm sure he would have stood up to turn the camera off! Exhibitionist, see... its a family trait.... ;)

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
'I buy stuff a lot.' Bless ;)

I had to watch the whole thing as I'm pretty sure he's naked (apart from helmet, naturally ;) ) and if it WAS my bro, I'm sure he would have stood up to turn the camera off! Exhibitionist, see... its a family trait.... ;)

Haha, but the comedy sunglasses still don't hide him. :cool:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Haha, but the comedy sunglasses still don't hide him. :cool:

And to paraphrase Ivor Cutler there would be a moist kissing sound as he arose naked from his seat. :yikes: There's a mental and aural image for you.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some Saturday night dancing music, Cup Of Brown Joy - Elemental.

[video=youtube;eELH0ivexKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Maybe slow tings down a little.

[video=youtube;0iRTB-FTMdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk[/video]

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
OMGodz... classic :)

I'm really more Aunt Sally. Here I am, anticipating meeting new freinds in the woods ;)
[video=youtube_share;LmQZjKMcPcA]http://youtu.be/LmQZjKMcPcA[/video]

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Even though slightly phobic about scarecrows I always liked Worzel Gummage. So I takes it Aunt Sally likeses a cake that's baked.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Biker, Happy Hinomaru Flag Day.
On this day in 1854 - The Hinomaru is established as the official flag to be flown from Japanese ships.
The national flag of Japan is a white rectangular flag with a large red disk (representing the sun) in the centre. This flag is officially called Nisshōki (日章旗, "sun-mark flag") in Japanese, but is more commonly known as Hinomaru (日の丸[SUP][/SUP], "circle of the sun").
The Nisshōki flag is designated as the national flag in Law Regarding the National Flag and National Anthem, which was promulgated and became effective on August 13, 1999. Although no earlier legislation had specified a national flag, the sun-disc flag had already become the de facto national flag of Japan. Two proclamations issued in 1870 by the Daijō-kan, the governmental body of the early Meiji Era, each had a provision for a design of the national flag. A sun-disc flag was adopted as the national flag for merchant ships under Proclamation No. 57 of Meiji 3 (issued on February 27, 1870), and as the national flag used by the Navy under Proclamation No. 651 of Meiji 3 (issued on October 27, 1870). Use of the Hinomaru was severely restricted during the early years of the American occupation after World War II; these restrictions were later relaxed.

Birthdays

1900 - Douglas L Mays, cartoonist (Punch)
1900 - Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, London or Hitchin, Queen Mother of England, King George VI's wife, (d. 2002)
1901 - Louis Armstrong, New Orleans Louisiana, jazz trumpeter (Hello Dolly), (d. 1971)
1912 - Raoul Wallenberg, Swedish diplomat in WW II (saved 10,000s of Jews)
1955 - Billy Bob Thornton, actor (Sling Blade)
1961 - Barack Obama, Honolulu Hawaii,44th United States President (Democrat) and first African--American president
1962 - Paul Williams, rock guitarist (Flock of Seagulls)

Deaths

1875 - Hans Christian Andersen, Danish fairy tale writer, dies at 70
1997 - Jeanne Calment, world's oldest person (Feb 21 1875), dies at 122
1999 - Victor Mature, American actor (b. 1913)
2007 - Lee Hazlewood, American country singer, songwriter and producer (b. 1929)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5qmEt0FcYA

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
No real space news today. so, an article.

Mars Expeditions

zmarscom.jpg
Mars Expeditions
Leading manned Mars Expedition designs to a common scale (the orange bar represents 100 m). Upper left: Von Braun, 1948-1956; top middle, NASA EMPIRE, UMPIRE; Stuhlinger 1962; Bono Deimos; middle, NASA TRW, MPRG, IMIS, 1965-1971; upper right, STCAEM, SAIC, Design Reference Missions, 1983-2001; bottom rows, Russian designs, 1956 to 1986; below orange bars, Russian and American solar-electric designs.
Credit: © Mark Wade
Since Wernher von Braun first sketched out his Marsprojekt in 1946, a succession of designs and mission profiles were seriously studied in the United States and the Soviet Union. By the late 1960's Von Braun had come to favour nuclear thermal rocket powered expeditions, while his Soviet counterpart Korolev decided that nuclear electric propulsion was the way to go. All such work stopped in both countries in the 1970's, after the cancellation of the Apollo program in the United States and the N1 booster in the Soviet Union.

Work resumed in the 1980's, led in America by private advocacy groups, and in the Soviet Union by Glushko, who saw the new Energia heavy-lift booster as the means of reaching Mars. In the late 1980's there was even a brief 'Race to Mars', with both sides putting forward designs. This unexpected revival of the space race ended with the collapse of the Soviet Union and the scrapping of the Energia booster. Despite press enthusiasm, such a project never had any high-level political support in either country.

Despite pronouncements by a succession of American presidents that a manned expedition to Mars was a long-term national goal, there has never been the political will to provide the funding necessary for such an enterprise. By 2005 NASA had funded a dizzying array of studies and iterations, all basically trading launch mass from low earth orbit for time and risk of mission failure. No compelling concept emerged. The safest way would be for an expedition to Mars being the result of a robust space infrastructure (heavy lift boosters, aerobraking space tugs, nuclear thermal engines, long-term cryogenic propellant storage) already developed and in place. But there was no prospect of such an infrastructure being funded...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
First observed between August 4 and August 6, 1181, Chinese and Japanese astronomers recorded the supernova now known as SN 1181 in eight separate texts. One of only eight supernovae in the Milky Way observable with the naked eye in recorded history, it appeared in the constellation Cassiopeia and was visible in the night sky for about 185 days.
The radio and X-ray pulsar J0205+6449 (also known as 3C 58), which rotates about 15 times per second, is possibly the remnant from this event. If the supernova and pulsar are associated, the star is still rotating about as quickly as it did when it first formed. This is in contrast to the Crab pulsar, known to be the remnant of the SN 1054 supernova in the year 1054, which has lost two-thirds of its rotational energy in essentially the same time span. Recent radio surveys of 3C 58, however, indicate that this supernova remnant may be much older and thus not associated with SN 1181.

3C 58, a pulsar wind nebula, is the presumed remnant​

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
First observed between August 4 and August 6, 1181, Chinese and Japanese astronomers recorded the supernova now known as SN 1181 in eight separate texts. One of only eight supernovae in the Milky Way observable with the naked eye in recorded history, it appeared in the constellation Cassiopeia and was visible in the night sky for about 185 days.
The radio and X-ray pulsar J0205+6449 (also known as 3C 58), which rotates about 15 times per second, is possibly the remnant from this event. If the supernova and pulsar are associated, the star is still rotating about as quickly as it did when it first formed. This is in contrast to the Crab pulsar, known to be the remnant of the SN 1054 supernova in the year 1054, which has lost two-thirds of its rotational energy in essentially the same time span. Recent radio surveys of 3C 58, however, indicate that this supernova remnant may be much older and thus not associated with SN 1181.

3C 58, a pulsar wind nebula, is the presumed remnant​

Ah, I remember that day well. It was like twilight at midnight.

Mariner 7 fly-by of Mars - . Nation: USA. Spacecraft: Mariner 6-7. Mariners 6 and 7 were designed to fly over the equator and southern hemisphere of Mars. Mariner 7 encountered Mars on August 4, 1969. The two spacecraft returned a combined total of 143 approach pictures of the planet and 55 close-up pictures. The spacecraft also studied the Martian atmosphere and profiled its chemical composition. Closest approach to Mars for both spacecraft was approximately 3,550 kilometres.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Anne Frank Captured.

Acting on tip from a Dutch informer, the Nazi Gestapo captures 15-year-old Jewish diarist Anne Frank and her family in a sealed-off area of an Amsterdam warehouse. The Franks had taken shelter there in 1942 out of fear of deportation to a Nazi concentration camp. They occupied the small space with another Jewish family and a single Jewish man, and were aided by Christian friends, who brought them food and supplies. Anne spent much of her time in the "secret annex" working on her diary. The diary survived the war, overlooked by the Gestapo that discovered the hiding place, but Anne and nearly all of the others perished in the Nazi death camps.

Annelies Marie Frank was born in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, on June 12, 1929. She was the second daughter of Otto Frank and Edith Frank-Hollander, both of Jewish families that had lived in Germany for centuries. With the rise of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler in 1933, Otto moved his family to Amsterdam to escape the escalating Nazi persecution of Jews. In Holland, he ran a successful spice and jam business. Anne attended a Montessori school with other middle-class Dutch children, but with the German invasion of the Netherlands in 1940 she was forced to transfer to a Jewish school. In 1942, Otto began arranging a hiding place in an annex of his warehouse on the Prinsengracht Canal in Amsterdam.
On her 13th birthday in 1942, Anne began a diary relating her everyday experiences, her relationship with her family and friends, and observations about the increasingly dangerous world around her. Less than a month later, Anne's older sister, Margot, received a call-up notice to report to a Nazi "work camp." Fearing deportation to a Nazi concentration camp, the Frank family took shelter in the secret annex the next day. One week later, they were joined by Otto Frank's business partner and his family. In November, a Jewish dentist—the eighth occupant of the hiding place—joined the group.
For two years, Anne kept a diary about her life in hiding that is marked with poignancy, humor, and insight. The entrance to the secret annex was hidden by a hinged bookcase, and former employees of Otto and other Dutch friends delivered them food and supplies procured at high risk. Anne and the others lived in rooms with blacked-out windows, and never flushed the toilet during the day out of fear that their presence would be detected. In June 1944, Anne's spirits were raised by the Allied landing at Normandy, and she was hopeful that the long-awaited liberation of Holland would soon begin.
On August 1, 1944, Anne made her last entry in her diary. Three days later, 25 months of seclusion ended with the arrival of the Nazi Gestapo. Anne and the others had been given away by an unknown informer, and they were arrested along with two of the Christians who had helped shelter them. They were sent to a concentration camp in Holland, and in September Anne and most of the others were shipped to the Auschwitz death camp in Poland. In the fall of 1944, with the Soviet liberation of Poland underway, Anne was moved with her sister Margot to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in Germany. Suffering under the deplorable conditions of the camp, the two sisters caught typhus and died in early March 1945. The camp was liberated by the British less than two months later.
Otto Frank was the only one of the 10 to survive the Nazi death camps. After the war, he returned to Amsterdam via Russia, and was reunited with Miep Gies, one of his former employees who had helped shelter him. She handed him Anne's diary, which she had found undisturbed after the Nazi raid. In 1947, Anne's diary was published by Otto in its original Dutch as Diary of a Young Girl. An instant best-seller and eventually translated into more than 50 languages, The Diary of Anne Frank has served as a literary testament to the nearly six million Jews, including Anne herself, who were silenced in the Holocaust.
The Frank family's hideaway at Prinsengracht 263 in Amsterdam opened as a museum in 1960. A new English translation of Anne's diary in 1995 restored material that had been edited out of the original version, making the work nearly a third longer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE