Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Continuing the cloud theme.

Aotearoa

Aotearoa is the Maori name for New Zealand, though it seems at first to have been used for the North Island only. Many meanings have been given for the name but with Maori names the true meaning can often be found only in a mythological story or in historical fiction illustrating either how the name was given or something of the ideas which prompted it. Aotearoa is made up of either two or three words, Aotea and roa or Ao tea and roa. Aotea could be the name of one of the canoes of the great migration, the great magellan cloud near the bright star Canopus in summer, a bird or even food; ao is a cloud, dawn, daytime, or world; tea white or clear, perhaps bright, while roa means long or tall.

The most popular and authoritative meaning usually given is “long white cloud”, and there are two stories current to illustrate this. It seems the voyagers to New Zealand were guided during the day by a long white cloud and at night by a long bright cloud. The more usual one tells how, when Kupe was nearing land after his long voyage, the first sign of land was the peculiar cloud hanging over it. Kupe drew attention to it and said “Surely is a point of land”. His wife, Hine-te-aparangi, called out “He ao! He ao!” (a cloud! a cloud!) Later Kupe decided to call the land after his wife's greeting to it, and the cloud which welcomed them. The name Aotea was given both to the Great Barrier and to the North Island, but the latter became Aotearoa, presumably because of its length.

According to certain authorities, the other meanings are: big glaring light (Hochstetter); continuously clear light, or land of abiding day (Stowell); long white world (Wilson); long bright world, long daylight, long lingering day, or long bright land (Cowan); and long bright day (Tregear). A good case could probably be made out for the land of abiding day, or similar names. Maui, who is closely connected with New Zealand in mythology, once snared the sun and beat him to make him travel more slowly across the sky. Perhaps Maui achieved the same end when he sailed south to fish up New Zealand where there is longer day with long twilight, particularly in the south.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

This day in 1970 the Royal Navy ended it's officially sanctioned daily rum ration, after concerns that regular intakes of alcohol would lead to unsteady hands when working machinery.
The rum ration traditionally consisted of 70 millilitres of rum given out to every sailor at midday. It was sometimes supplemented with splice the mainbrace*. The rum ration was often served from one particular barrel, also known as the "Rum Tub" which was often ornately decorated and sometimes was reinforced with brass.

*("Splice the mainbrace" is an order given aboard naval vessels to issue the crew with a drink. Originally an order for one of the most difficult emergency repair jobs aboard a sailing ship, it became a euphemism for authorized celebratory drinking afterward, and then the name of an order to grant the crew an extra ration of rum or grog.)

Sailors when boarding their ship were asked if they were members of the Temperance movement. If they said they were, it was noted in the ship's records and they were given three pence a day instead of the rum ration. The time when the rum ration was distributed was called "Up Spirits", which was between 11 am and 12 noon. Sailors under 20 were not permitted a rum ration.

The rum ration was originally beer with a daily ration of 4.5 litres per sailor until the 17th century. In 1655, rum replaced beer as the sailor's daily alcohol ration because of the capture of Jamaica from Spain. This change was made because beer would often spoil on long voyages. The ration of rum was half a pint per day, and originally issued neat; sailors would "prove" its strength by checking that gunpowder doused with rum would still burn (thus verifying that rum was at least 57% ABV.)
Birthdays.
1956 - Michael Biehn, famous for his role in Terminator.
1962 - Wesley Snipes, Demolition Man and the Blade trilogy.
1965 - J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter.

In 1886 - Franz Liszt, Hungarian pianist/composer, dies at 74.
[video=youtube;KpOtuoHL45Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpOtuoHL45Y[/video]

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
31st July 1969. [SIZE=Mariner 6 Mars flyby.
][/SIZE]

Mariner 6, 7
Credit: NASA
American Mars flyby probe. 2 launches, 1969.02.25 (Mariner 6) to 1969.03.27 (Mariner 7). Mariner 6 and 7 comprised a dual-spacecraft mission to Mars.

The primary objectives of the missions were to study the surface and atmosphere of Mars during close flybys to establish the basis for future investigations, particularly those relevant to the search for extraterrestrial life, and to demonstrate and develop technologies required for future Mars missions and other long-duration missions far from the Sun. Each spacecraft carried a wide- and narrow-angle television camera, an infrared spectroscope, an infrared radiometer, and an ultraviolet spectroscope.

The spacecraft were oriented entirely to planetary data acquisition, and no data were obtained during the trip to Mars or beyond Mars. Mariners 6 and 7 were designed to fly over the equator and southern hemisphere of Mars. Mariner 6 encountered Mars on July 31,1969 and was quickly followed by Mariner 7 on August 4, 1969. The two spacecraft returned a combined total of 143 approach pictures of the planet and 55 close-up pictures. These images, from the vehicles' television cameras, included pictures of the northern and southern polar caps as well as Phobos, one of Mars' two moons. The spacecraft also studied the Martian atmosphere and profiled its chemical composition. Closest approach to Mars for both spacecraft was approximately 3,550 kilometers. The cost of the two missions was $148 million.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Also on this day.

1964 - The American space probe Ranger 7 transmitted pictures of the moon's surface.

1971 - Men rode in a vehicle on the moon for the first time in a lunar rover vehicle (LRV).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Also on this day.

1964 - The American space probe Ranger 7 transmitted pictures of the moon's surface.

1971 - Men rode in a vehicle on the moon for the first time in a lunar rover vehicle (LRV).

I had the LRV Dinky toy. Loved it such a cool toy.
Dinky-Toys-No-355-Lunar-Roving-Vehicle-1972-75_700_600_47JRI.jpg

Although I'm sure mine was green. I think it subliminally implanted a love of Landrovers in my head. With those tyres and four wheeled steering I imagined it could go anywhere.

Should have kept them as since I looked after my toys they'd be collectable, but better still we gave them on to some kids who didn't have much so they did some good.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Nice toy, would be worth a few bob now. Funnily enough, I have a collection of pre seventies die cast cars that I collected up to a few years ago The type of car are pre seventies. not the models, with the exception of the fifties pewter Jag.

006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 005.jpg

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 10

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice toy, would be worth a few bob now. Funnily enough, I have a collection of pre seventies die cast cars that I collected up to a few years ago The type of car are pre seventies. not the models, with the exception of the fifties pewter Jag.

View attachment 20859 View attachment 20860 View attachment 20861 View attachment 20858

Boys and their toys, I've some hundred model tanks in the bedroom, some nice cars there, are they ones you wanted to own?. Should really put my tanks up in the spare room - but hey. Not really into ornaments as such but I do like oddities and curios
solar radiometers

Sawfish noses

Oh all sorts of weird things. Not cluttered just placed around the mainly dominant bookshelves that line the house.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Gosh, that pewter Jag should be on a pedestal! Lovely :)

My Dad brought it back from Germany, when he was working out there in the late fifties and early sixties. A clock work XK 120, the key is a policeman imitating a teapot and the controls on the bottom set the steering course and gears. Still in full working order, though the box has been lost over the years.
Even stamped made in Brit zone.

009.jpg 010.jpg

011.jpg 013.jpg

014.jpg 015.jpg

017.jpg

The others, are cars I've wished to own, over the years. Had a couple of old Fords and a Morris Traveller in my youth.

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One of Rosie and Simon's boys (they're my landlords) came back home with a Hotwheel track a single loop the loop. He was sooo excited about it too. I remember having a set like that in the early 70's and it came with 10m of track, not the pi$$y 1.5m this kit had. Oh how times change. I still have a couple of those hotwheel cars somewhere as well as some of the Matchbox cars.

Son, you can own as many tanks as the shelves can support, but you're the one who's going to dust them? Deal?

Happy Rum day to one and all... or not so happy day if they ended the issue. Just wondering if you got your facts right about the 4.5litres per sailor per day issue of beer. If so, no wonder they danced and sang all the time and climbed the rigging. I'd have to be half pished to do something like that too!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
One of Rosie and Simon's boys (they're my landlords) came back home with a Hotwheel track a single loop the loop. He was sooo excited about it too. I remember having a set like that in the early 70's and it came with 10m of track, not the pi$$y 1.5m this kit had. Oh how times change. I still have a couple of those hotwheel cars somewhere as well as some of the Matchbox cars.

Son, you can own as many tanks as the shelves can support, but you're the one who's going to dust them? Deal?

Happy Rum day to one and all... or not so happy day if they ended the issue. Just wondering if you got your facts right about the 4.5litres per sailor per day issue of beer. If so, no wonder they danced and sang all the time and climbed the rigging. I'd have to be half pished to do something like that too!

Tell the truth pop. You'd join up for the flogging at the grating not the rum. I saw your 'special' magazine stash.

Biker

Tell the truth pop. You'd join up for the flogging at the grating not the rum. I saw your 'special' magazine stash.

Huh? No Son, you're mistaken there. I've always been brought up with the philosophy - "It's better to give than to receive." :naughty: Hence the motivational beatings I often treat GB to. MUHAHAHAHAHA!

As for that special stash, those are reference material for my drawings. Honest :eek:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Huh? No Son, you're mistaken there. I've always been brought up with the philosophy - "It's better to give than to receive." :naughty: Hence the motivational beatings I often treat GB to. MUHAHAHAHAHA!

As for that special stash, those are reference material for my drawings. Honest :eek:
It was the giving I meant pop. Obviously Goatboy has more personal experience than Colin Secundus and I but all the kids know your tastes.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Hmm we had a hotwheels track too, and you did get more track, it was yellow with red biscuits to slot it together. You had enough to do twists, turns, loops and banks.

On the beer front, remember it would have been small beer, which for a long time most of the population including children would have drunk as it was safer than water. LINK

(...and because the process of brewing any beer from malt involves boiling the water, which also kills them, drinking small beer instead of water was one way to escape infection. It was not uncommon for workers (including sailors) who engaged in heavy physical labour to drink more than 10 Imperial pints (5.7 litres) of small beer during a workday to maintain their hydration level. This was usually provided free as part of their working conditions, as it was recognised that maintaining hydration was essential for optimal performance.)

I promise to dust my own tanks.

By the way I knew you'd use the "Reference material" line in answer to Huon. What a grass he is. :lmao:

Biker

Posh kid ehhh!

My thoughts exactly. :lmao:

As I recall Hotwheels track was orange with white biscuits to join them, and were a devil to fit right up tight, unless you had the strength of Garth of course... which most 9 year olds don't have.

As for you knowing I'd reply with the reference material comment it was all I could think of at the time. Panic, combined with the fight or flight response kicked in. I was just amazed he found out where I kept them. Who'd have thought you kids would look in the cupboard that houses the vacuum cleaner. :confused: Got to think of a better hiding place now. Perhaps with the ironing board? ... y'know, that thing I call the folding workbench.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I know and the stuff he got away with, couldn't believe it the day he substituted Immac for Dads hair gel. (Remember he used to have hair like the lead singer of the band KING?)

That was evil that was - never grew back. Aaron the Mullet they used to call him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE