Best way of making fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is the best way of making fire?

• Flint & Steel

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Friction

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • matches

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • lighter

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • firestick

Votes: 32 30.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
I´d go for UV-rays and lightning - true bushcraft ways of starting a fire. Enviromental friendly too.
Most other methods of fire starting are based on engineering :rolleyes: :D

L

lukeuk2

i like using the fire stick to start a fire, but i have not yet started a fire with friction so i do not now if i like that way.

:)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I've voted for firesteel - as it is the most reliable way i've found in all conditions

I do love a flint and steel and am still perfection my friction technique

I guess it all depends on the situation! - if youa re quiet by yourself and have the time to 'play' or are in front of a crown and need to 'please' first time;)

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
For me it all down to what I am up to if I have time on my hands then I like the bowdrill if I want a swift brew then fire steel .its good to try all and not to rely on matches or a lighter. Its even better to go out when its hammering down with rain and try to get your fire going .I like to test my skills

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think that, like many of these polls, it depends on the circumstances. In an ideal world, with lots of time and resourses it is tempting to think we would use friction. When a gale if blowing and its snowing and you are near freezing, I don't think it would be your first choice. Perhaps firesticks is a fair compromise. However, in severe situations I have found the RM suggestion of using pieces of inner tube to get a fire going very effective. :)

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
Yer i totally agree with the comments, it all depends on the situation. In a life threatening situation it would mean getting a fire going as quick as you can with as little effort possible. Basically i was just wonder what type of fire starting method you use if your just want to get a fire going when out in preforming a bit of bushcraft. I'm sorry all, i should have stated this and been more clear when i asked the question :(

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I think it is satisfying to start a fire without matches or a lighter, but using a lighter to light a fire lighter is quicker. It's not cheating, the objective is to light a fire. I do, however, think that to have the ability to use other methods is important if you are going on a serious trip.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Lee_shanahan said:
Yer i totally agree with the comments, it all depends on the situation. In a life threatening situation it would mean getting a fire going as quick as you can with as little effort possible. Basically i was just wonder what type of fire starting method you use if your just want to get a fire going when out in preforming a bit of bushcraft. I'm sorry all, i should have stated this and been more clear when i asked the question :(
I think that would have to be firesticks. You get all the fun of preparing the wood and endless practice with your favourite knife making the sticks. When it gets blunt you can sit in front of the fire and sharpen it! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The most satisfying s flint and steel for me...

The best? In the wet? When gagging for a brew? a couple of zip firelighters and a Silva Helios!

Red

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The best way is the one that gives you most satisfaction, i.e. you have painstakingly learned the technique over months of practice, had to work at it and overcome some hurdles, hunted out the materials, worked up a sweat, got some blisters, nearly failed..... but finally you get a glowing coal and it goes out, so you start again and get a coal quicker and succeed in getting the fire this time and coax it to take your kindling and eventually get your supper on. Better than your common or garden quick fires any day.............

Hand drill!!!!!!!!!!!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
rik_uk3 said:
So the hand drill is an ancient fire lighting method in Britain?

Good question... I've never heard of any archeological evidence for it, but then the materials aren't the sort to be well preserved in our environment. As far as historical times go, we know for sure that flint and steel was the prefered method until the invention of the friction match.

I'd say it's possible, but perhaps not likely. I get the impression that such friction techniques are more popular in slightly less damp environments... And I suspect that most ancient Britons would just try not to let the fire go out in the first place. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE