Best Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
:D I just wonder how a knife can be called a kephart, when it doesnt look like one :) Thats like me calling my SPB-1+ a woodlore :D It just aint :)

well here is the Nessmuk the original Kephart and the later knife he promoted with drawing from his book in the what Knife to use section and a photo of one yet everybody focuses on the older model

KLBlog+560.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
People focus on the older one because thats the knife he originally designed and used his whole life :) Its the older one i'm referring to when i say the ones based on kepharts dont look like the one he used. The actual picture of kepharts knife, doesnt look anything like it will have done when new (second one down) yet every makes kepharts based on the look of the picture without considering the lifetime of wear it has had. They make new knives based on a picture of a worn out one. I didn't know the bottom one was designed or promoted by kephart :)

This is the kephart pattern, and after making some, i gotta say... i like the design. :)

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Are you working in 12c27 and N690 Duncan? I have a lot of time for both steels. I have several EKA blades in 12c27 which basically never need sharpening, and the wife has a little parang in N690 which has taken all kinds of abuse in its stride (but don't tell her I said that...:))

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its all a trick. You see there are homeowners and then there are people in the houses of different nationalities.. The original instructions say use PURE logic. But if you assume the owners live in the house then you are assuming, not using PURE logic. ;) Einstein said only 2% would ever get it right....... because everyone else assumes something.
See...
• There are 5 houses that are each a different colour.
• There is a person of a different nationality in each house.
• The 5 owners drink a certain drink. They each smoke a certain brand of cigarettes and also have a certain pet. No owner has the same pet, smokes the same brand of cigarettes nor drinks the same drink.
• The question is. “Who has the fish?”

So whats your answer Ged? ;)

Never seen it before. The instructions are adequate, I solved it in a couple of minutes on the back of an envelope. No maths. :)

Last edited:
Are you working in 12c27 and N690 Duncan? I have a lot of time for both steels. I have several EKA blades in 12c27 which basically never need sharpening, and the wife has a little parang in N690 which has taken all kinds of abuse in its stride (but don't tell her I said that...:))
yes ive used 12c27 for a little while for customer projects mainly scandi ground I have a sheet of 4mm left wil probbaly try the new 14c28 replacemnt now 12c27 is no longer in production.

N690 ive moved to as a GP stainless for full flat grinds over RWL34 as its avalible in sheet so can be cut by laser economically
iveeven got a couple of XL nessmuk camp blades in it to try as it seems to be good for bigger blades but tempered lower Rc

[video=youtube;xtC-pwVV3lI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtC-pwVV3lI[/video]

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
12C27 aint that good Ged :) Its a good stainless, granted. I have used it myself on maybe a dozen knives, but claiming it never needs sharpening.......... please :) N690, again... decent steel But it does not compare to 01 in anything other than stain resistance. I'd rate 12c27 as a better steel. N690 is at at its optimal toughest/hardest at 57rc, you can HT it harder but its not as tough at 01 at equivalent RC above that. Your wifes Parang will have an RC lower than that on a working knife. lower RC = Higher toughness

Reason for late reply.... had to double check on the N690 :) The company i worked for use it...... though i didnt work with it while there.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Duncan, if you go down the 12c28 route would you give me a heads up as to how it compares to 12c27? Now that its been discontinued, i'm tending towards the higher end stuff...RWL-34 and Elmax. Elamax is a beauty.... i'd recommend you give it a go..... the stats have it as at least twice as tough as N690. Sal at spyderco has tested it and they are being a bit cagey as to how good it is.... they say it performs " very well", but from my experience...."very well" is an understatement :)

Oh BTW.... i had one of you DSP's in my hand the other day, the 6mm stock ones...... sweet knife mate... me likey :)

Looks chilly in your shop dude :D

yes ive used 12c27 for a little while for customer projects mainly scandi ground I have a sheet of 4mm left wil probbaly try the new 14c28 replacemnt now 12c27 is no longer in production.

N690 ive moved to as a GP stainless for full flat grinds over RWL34 as its avalible in sheet so can be cut by laser economically
iveeven got a couple of XL nessmuk camp blades in it to try as it seems to be good for bigger blades but tempered lower Rc

[video=youtube;xtC-pwVV3lI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtC-pwVV3lI[/video]

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Its all a trick. You see there are homeowners and then there are people in the houses of different nationalities.

Nope. There is a slightly misleading pair of statements in there and I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not but it isn't actually incorrect and as I sid the information is adequate.

So whats your answer Ged? ;)

The correct one. :)

I won't spoil the fun for anyone, the answer is available the link you posted if you need it.

PS: The forum notiofications seem to have changed their behaviour recently, so I didn't see these posts until just now. Must be something to do with the latest software upgrade.

Duncan, if you go down the 12c28 route would you give me a heads up as to how it compares to 12c27? Now that its been discontinued, i'm tending towards the higher end stuff...RWL-34 and Elmax. Elamax is a beauty.... i'd recommend you give it a go..... the stats have it as at least twice as tough as N690. Sal at spyderco has tested it and they are being a bit cagey as to how good it is.... they say it performs " very well", but from my experience...."very well" is an understatement :)

Oh BTW.... i had one of you DSP's in my hand the other day, the 6mm stock ones...... sweet knife mate... me likey :)

Looks chilly in your shop dude :D

yes was a chilly day no heating and no roof insulation Makes Kydex fun in the winter

I still have one sheet of 12c27 in 4mm this is the best stainless about for scandi grind

and RWL 34 is the best full flat etc but as i say in the vid it not being available in Sheet doesn't suit my production style

the N690 is a very good Steel and performing well in Stalking blades needing little maintenance just a occasional strop at least as good as RWL in that application with the right edge geometry ;)

you can increase toughness at the same Rc using the second Hump in the tempering curve on N690 and RWL but you loose a little Stain resistance

Ive a couple of XL camp nessies in N690 want to try see how much of a beating they can take

not tried Elamax but probably won't unless its available here in sheet form

as I say Im trying to be in a slightly different market area than most homemakers

and back to the OP

for my Survival/ Military knives I prefer 52100 but heat treated with some Bainite in it which adds an extra 10% strength over straight martensite HT without all the time factor and therefore cost of Full bainite this IMO gives a tough strong knife with a good Rc but needs a Coating to protect from rust etc and the best for that is DLC but a more economical solution is Cerakote

heres my Proto testers (coming to a Discovery Channel near you (hopefully soon))

dwmbd700.jpg

next batch of parangs will be looking at adding a bainite structure into the 75Cr1 to get that extra ;)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We may have to disagree on this one Ged :) For i do not get the same answer as what is all over the internet. :) Which is the obvious answer.... yet if only 2% of the world are able to solve it.... then....is the obvious answer the actual answer? :)

Nope. There is a slightly misleading pair of statements in there and I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not but it isn't actually incorrect and as I sid the information is adequate.

The correct one. :)

I won't spoil the fun for anyone, the answer is available the link you posted if you need it.

PS: The forum notiofications seem to have changed their behaviour recently, so I didn't see these posts until just now. Must be something to do with the latest software upgrade.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I like to one with the black handle in the pic. You got any you want testing:cool:
Do you still have the one you sent me to play about with before (had a G10multican handle) . If so is it for sale.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah i'm a fan of 12C27. Got a fair bit of it here. Mainly 2.5mm though as i bought a decent sized sheet for kitchen knives. Do you ever get warped blades from it? It has a tendancy to warp a little due to the way the steel is and how it was made with the rollers, i've heard it called memory steel because of it.. :)

I make things individually so RWL being supplied as it does is ideal for me. Probably not as cost effective that way though :)

I like Elmax because it has good corrosion resistance AND good wear resistance together, which is unusual for stainless as its normally one or the other. Same tempering curve in that you get the best trade off on the second hump, 60 RC when tempered at 520c, makes a good blade. :)

yes was a chilly day no heating and no roof insulation Makes Kydex fun in the winter

I still have one sheet of 12c27 in 4mm this is the best stainless about for scandi grind

and RWL 34 is the best full flat etc but as i say in the vid it not being available in Sheet doesn't suit my production style

the N690 is a very good Steel and performing well in Stalking blades needing little maintenance just a occasional strop at least as good as RWL in that application with the right edge geometry ;)

you can increase toughness at the same Rc using the second Hump in the tempering curve on N690 and RWL but you loose a little Stain resistance

Ive a couple of XL camp nessies in N690 want to try see how much of a beating they can take

not tried Elamax but probably won't unless its available here in sheet form

as I say Im trying to be in a slightly different market area than most homemakers

and back to the OP

for my Survival/ Military knives I prefer 52100 but heat treated with some Bainite in it which adds an extra 10% strength over straight martensite HT without all the time factor and therefore cost of Full bainite this IMO gives a tough strong knife with a good Rc but needs a Coating to protect from rust etc and the best for that is DLC but a more economical solution is Cerakote

heres my Proto testers (coming to a Discovery Channel near you (hopefully soon))

dwmbd700.jpg

next batch of parangs will be looking at adding a bainite structure into the 75Cr1 to get that extra ;)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
... still have one sheet of 12c27 in 4mm ...

It still seems to be available here and there.

this is the best stainless about for scandi grind

Perhaps I should have mentioned those knives all have a secondary bevel - then maybe Mark wouldn't have pounced. :)

... the N690 is a very good Steel and performing well in Stalking blades needing little maintenance just a occasional strop at least as good as RWL in that application with the right edge geometry

+1 to that.

Ah, now on to the real point of this post. :)

If you want me to help you with that please let me know Duncan.

and back to the OP

Oh ar. Well it gives us an excuse, doesn't it, and I'm sure the OP will probably want one of your nessies as much as I do... :)

for my Survival/ Military knives I prefer 52100 but heat treated with some Bainite in it ..

They're rather well presented Duncan, I must say. Almost makes me want one, but I never did get on with a tanto.

Ah, now on to the real point of this post. :)

If you want me to help you with that please let me know Duncan.

Oh ar. Well it gives us an excuse, doesn't it, and I'm sure the OP will probably want one of your nessies as much as I do... :)

They're rather well presented Duncan, I must say. Almost makes me want one, but I never did get on with a tanto.

lol yes will make up one to test ...eventually but ive to many paying customers waiting to play at prototypes at the moment

the Military Bushies aren't tanto they are a Woodlore shape extra long blade flandi grind

heres some better pics
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85429&highlight=

DomC

Mar 24, 2013
East Central Florida, USA
I did a lot of research before opting for the BLIND HORSE KNIVES MAVERICK SCOUT w/a Scandinavian grind. I was looking for a traditional looking knife and when I first looked at this knife my research was over. The handle reminded me of an OLD HICKORY & the blade geometry is reminiscent of a KEPHART...I fell in love with it at first sight and had to own one.

BHK triple tempers & imparts a cryogenic freeze to all their blades for durability and edge retaining properties. The steel is 0-1, a great tool steel. My knife blade measures a tad under four inches and the NATURAL MICARTA handle is about 4 5/8 inches in length. It feels good in my hands (I'm ambidextrous).

I opted for a Scandinavian grind for ease of sharpening in the field. I have only stropped it since I've owned it and it is EXTREMELY SHARP & it stays sharp! It came with a sturdy leather sheath (there are several styles to choose from).

Feathering a stick is easily done...and a delight. I suppose batoning small fare could be accomplished but I haven't tested it yet. Did I mention it is SHARP? It definitely will cut you as my left forefinger can attest. Ouch!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE