best charity shop purchases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
can ye copy them to cd Liam?
Ta.

I've got a pal who can Tam, leave it with me and I'll see what we can do over the weekend - they've got a lot of scratches on them so not sure how playable they are.

If they're playable I'll CD them and fire them off to you, send me your addy by PM once I find out if it's doable.

I liked the look of them and they took me back years is the reason I bought them TBH.

Liam

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I've picked up many a bargain from Swedish loppisar/second hand stores, many of which are run by church organizations.
My top picks are 2 pairs of new Ullfrotté long johns - one a 200g the other 400g for £3.50 each but best of all were two pairs of Tegsnäs Rajd wooden forest skis.
One pair was a women's size with bindings and had been used about twice.
The second pair were a perfect size for me and had NEVER been used (no bindings). The cost? £5 a pair.

What do I win then?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What do I win then?

First of all everyone has to post* their purchases to me and I'll make a decision. The winner will get a handsome** certificate of achievement***

* Sorry, we are unable to return items once posted
** Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
*** Not necessarily in a subject relevant to bushcraft

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I'm glad I didn't mention the reindeer skin/wool lined Sami boots (£5) the Swedish army snowshoe overboots (£7) the Frosts Mora in the style of a Canadian Belt Knife full tang rosewood handle (£8) or the FM Mattessons 11.5" 50 year old Mora in next to mint nick for £1.
I think I'd better stop there or the postage will be getting a little steep...

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I started this thread feeling that my deals were tough to beat. Now I realise I've been going to the wrong charity shops!! :rant:

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Just got a vango self inflating sleeping mat for £4.99 and a lightweight southbay jacket that looks brand new for £8.99.

also got a readers digest hardback book called "What is that?" the complete guide to Britian's wild life, plants and flowers, for £2.50 the other week, its rather large at A4 size so its more for home study than using in the field.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I used to buy a lot of good books before the days of the interweb, now, one look at abebooks or eblag and even the little old ladies in Oxfam know exactly what good books are worth.

I did buy a Berghaus fleece once for a couple of quid when I had gone to Scotland and had somehow forgotton to take any of my dozens of jackets....it was worth its weight in gold on that trip.

Glyn.

Oct 24, 2011
I got a new 65L Berghaus rucksack from help the aged for £2.00. A Berghaus fleece and hat for £1.50 each from the same place a week later. A 100% wool blanket for £4.00 ( R + )A Navjo native american blanket £2.50 ( H T A )and a Kanga from East Africa for 50p ( S A ) We have four charity shop in my town so thay compete for price. The Redcross, Help the aged, Princess of wales trust, and the sally army. all within 1/2 a mile on the same street. Althought not much Bushcraft stuff I buy leather hand bags for £1 or £2 and cut them up to make pouches,knifesheaths,ect. The trick is you have to go in every day for a quick look around. As bargens go in hours. Like the Berghaus rucksack I found.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I am always on the lookout for turned wooden bowls as we need loads of them when 30 kids are on site.

So far I think I've bought about a dozen in different sizes for about five quid.

Charity shops rock.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The last month has seen 4 down jackets for £10 each and all polycotton, 2 musto themal tops at £3, brand new Craghoppers t-shirt for £3, a summer camo sleeping bag at £2, Merino jumper for £5, cashmere sweater for £8 and a couple of North cape fleeces for £3.49.

Result!

My friend got a pair of brand new Zamberlans 3 season boots worth £150 last week for £8.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Not exactly a "charity shop", but REI stores (a cooperative group) hold quarterly "Garage sales" where they offer all the stuff returned under their very good return policy (which amounts to a lifetime warrenty). Last week was the autumn garage sale, and I snatched up an REI Quarter dome T3 tent (RMRP USD 300+) for USD 15. The tent and fly were in perfect condition (hardly used) and one pole section was fractured in the frame (replacement USD 17 plus P&P). Amazing bargain. Will now sell my Mountain Hardwear Twin Arch.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Found a thick leather belt in a local charity shop for £1 (the bigger chain charity shops charge 4 times that...). Was wide enough to make a sheath for my knife and long enough so that there was enough left for a strop. Have had a go with the strop and some Autosol and although I've still not managed to cut any hairs off my arm, it's pretty sharp

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Pair of like new, tan timberland boots...20 quid today and a pair of karrimor ksb gortex boots for a song ;)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Todays finds;

Mountain equipment zipped base layer-£2.49
Craghoppers lined trousers - £6
Unissued OG fleece lined thermal top- £1.99

rosshs1

Apr 5, 2011
oxfordshire
i found a small stainless steel cup with folding handles, almost identical to the myti cup from alpkit, for the lovely price of £1.99 bit heavier but a lovely item.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE