best charity shop purchases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
As a bit of light relief from the heavy duty debates about bushcraft paraphernalia we've had recently, I thought I'd pay tribute to that wonderful source of bargain kit, the charity shop.

So, what are your top three charity shop purchases?

Mine are:

1. Survival Aids ventile-like wind shirt - £5
2. Pendleton wool shirt/jacket - £10
3. A pair of M&S mid weight wool trousers which are great for damp weather - £4.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Excellent question!

1. 8x40 binoculars. Eight quid. No case, they live on the kitchen table and get more use than any others I've ever had just because they're always handy.

2. Several stainless steel hip flasks. Anything from 50p to three quid. Now filled variously with meths and Coleman fuel in assorted kits here and there. No drinkable stuff in any of them.

3. Leather trousers. Twenty quid (well, it was Oxfam!). Wear them at most BCUK meets.

I'll probably think of a load more as soon as I post this and I'd like to go on, like the harmonium I picked up a couple of weeks ago, and all the tables and other furniture, and that heavy chrome-plated solid brass tray on the worktop there, and the Zippo lighters, and ... well, you did say only three, and I've bent the rules a bit already... :)

Oh, and then there are the water skis, and... :sad6:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I like Op shops...

You find some pretty cool stuff if you look often enough.

Swazi One Tough Sister Jacket for SWMBO $ 100.00
Swanndri's various sizes colours and makes average $ 20.00
Optimus 111 stove $2.00
Coleman 349 Kerosene lantern $1.00
Grivel Ice Axe $15.00..

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
2 perfect sized pairs of crag trousers for £3.50 each (one brand new)
waxed H&M M65 'type' jacket - £7.50
old Scout/Hitler youth (!) sheath knife - £1.50
Entire Michael Moorcock Elric series 10p each and whole Rush back catalogue on CD for £1 each (neither bushy but I was in luck that day).

Can't beat charity shops

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Woolen blankets for all three!
Including a double bed size Merino wool blanket for ..................................50p!

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Ex electricity board Gortex (or no-name version) bright yellow boilersuit. £2 - Not the height of fashion but perfect for caving.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
A dutch oven: used occasionally...
A swandri shirt: favourite shirt, worn at present..
An old mora knife: sits in the shed, gets used most days..

Each were pretty cheap, single figures.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Rohan shirt - £1
Gillett with loads of pockets - £1
Lightweight zip-off trousers - £2.50

Never had much luck with kit, but great for clothes.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ohhhh, you cad, sir! Mine was eight pounds! Not a charity shop though, just a second-hand shop (thrift store?) so it didn't count for this thread even though I bent the rules. :)

Aye.. $2.00 is about the least I've forked out for one... All it needed was a new pump washer and the NRV freeing up...

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Llandovery in an animal rescue charity shop I picked up a Thermarest performance series ultralight 3/4 length mat
Looks almost unused and works perfectly If i was going to shell out real money on a Thermarest it would have been this very one
£2 with a tupperware pot as well One very happy camper

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
german issue trousers, free, they were binning them so i said i'd take em
british army knife, £2.50, nearly 60 years old and use it daily
waist coat, £3 pound, searched all over for one cause for a job i was doing but couldnt find one, probably made 4 or 5 hundred quid out of it,

i also once worked for a charity shop cause my father in law went on holiday so i took over his bag round thing, i had to put a load of bags through people letter boxes and then pick up the filled up ones a few days later, then the shop gives you something like a pound or less if its only half full, which i originally didnt think would be very profitable, but it turns out if you fill a citroen relay to the brim, you can make £180, which was pretty good for a couple of days work, worth doing if you got spare time and a van

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
An almost brand new Buffalo Arctic Parka, fantastic condition £4.00, also a pair of new Army boots, £3. There was also a camo jacket, a sleeping bag (I already have 4:eek:) and some other odds and sods, it seemed rude to get the lot!

So, I reckon, as this was in the charity shop in Warminster (next to where Woolworths used to be) that some poor squaddie had been caught shagging his neighbour and his wife had dumped all his kit in the charity shop!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE