Winter Clothing on a Budget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
With temperatures plummeting here in Northern France, -8°C last night. I thought I’d do a quick list of my recent purchases of Winter clothing. Now it would be nice to go out and buy Fjallraven, but I really can’t afford £200 or £300 for a jacket or pair of trousers.
So I’ve looked elsewhere. My choice has fallen, as with many of us on army surplus, and more precisely the recent PCS kit. There are loads of posts on various army’s gear, but if you can get by the camo aspect the new kit is really quite good and more importantly cheap. In fact, my whole wardrobe cost less than a high end jacket.
Now I’m not claiming it better, or even equal to the top of the range stuff, but as I spend most of my time out of doors, fishing shooting videos I just want to stay warm, comfortable and dry.
So here’s the list :

1. PCS Coolmax T-Shirt
  2. PCS thermal underwear (long johns and long sleeved t-shirt)
  3. MTP Temperate combat trousers
  4. Condor medium Fleece
  5. Snugpak Pile pertex &/or Snugpak Sleeka Elite
  6. MTP heavy duty Goretex over trousers & jacket when wet
  7. Lowa Combat boots
  8. Fleece hat and gloves

The only expensive bit was really the boots, but I figure you can’t really skimp on footwear, and so far I’ve had them nearly 10 years and resoled this summer they are as good as new.
The PCS kit has been criticised and I can see some of the reasons. The US ECWS kit looks better and better made, but is hard to source and/or too expensive to merit shipping from the US. Other brands like Helikontex also do decent kit at a reasonable price, but I just find the issue clothing more comfortable.
All the kit I use can be purchased on line, usually new and unissued for the military gear.
Cheers
Gareth

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
After all the terrorist attacks and police on high tension it felt better for me to ditch all my German flecktarn clothing. I had the regular stuff and the 5 colour jungle gear (rare). But I never went full camo anyway.
I guess I will never wear camo now.

It's bit of a shame since indeed, as you say , amazing good fit, superb price, good design, quality and lots of pockets....
I agree with Fjallraven. Their prices are crazy since 18 years.
So I am too always interested in alternatives.

garethw

Settler
Hi Mors, I don't go full camo unless its raining hard and need all the goretex.. generally just wear the trousers, as they are really comfy. Not too worried about wearing it here in rural France, the MTP is not worn by French military, who still use Central European pattern...

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I admit that my gear is a bit on the expensive side but I have been acquiring it over a decade and look after it. Some things have worn out but generally I try to be a bit refined in the woods where some people will happily crash through brambles like a drunk wild boar, I don't. This has meant that expensive items have lasted very well.

When I started out, a lot of my stuff was ex military or general outdoors stuff from rock climbing and walking.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi Mors,

Have you seen a youtube channell called 'Greencraft'. I believe the guy that runs it is fairly active on this forum. Anyway, he did an interesting video on outdoor clothing and covered the winter aspect. Really interesting and made it clear that you don't need to spend big to get good gear. A lot of the gear was army surplus but not camo.

Personally, I tend to wear builders trousers and one of those thick fleece lined checkered shirts, both items can be bought cheap. For winter, I'll layer up with thermal underwear (am planning to get the merino wool thermals next time they're in Aldi!), thick woollen socks a bufff headover thingy (great bit of kit!) and a long sleeve top. My outer layer will generally be a polycotton smock (the one that they sell on the bushcraft journal website) which keeps out all but the worst weather.

When I get into the sleeping bag, if it's really cold, I also have a cheap down jacket which was a great investment and works well with a pair of issue softy trousers to add some warmth in the sleeping bag.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Hi Mors,

Have you seen a youtube channell called 'Greencraft'. I believe the guy that runs it is fairly active on this forum. Anyway, he did an interesting video on outdoor clothing and covered the winter aspect. Really interesting and made it clear that you don't need to spend big to get good gear. A lot of the gear was army surplus but not camo.

Personally, I tend to wear builders trousers and one of those thick fleece lined checkered shirts, both items can be bought cheap. For winter, I'll layer up with thermal underwear (am planning to get the merino wool thermals next time they're in Aldi!), thick woollen socks a bufff headover thingy (great bit of kit!) and a long sleeve top. My outer layer will generally be a polycotton smock (the one that they sell on the bushcraft journal website) which keeps out all but the worst weather.

When I get into the sleeping bag, if it's really cold, I also have a cheap down jacket which was a great investment and works well with a pair of issue softy trousers to add some warmth in the sleeping bag.

Hi Barney

thanks! good article!
I also have some charity shop and vintage army gear from the far past. Here stocks are now gone in Surplus store for vintage gear.
I got some cool stuff like the Finnish woolen trousers from Martti and a fur hat from the Second hand shop.
But besides decathlon which is mostly synthetic (excl there merino underwear, great!) I am still looking at good affordable Nordic brands.
It remains a search but its ok. I just like to fit it in a shop and that is becoming increasingly difficult.

garethw

Settler
Decathlon do some pretty good cold weather clothing. I pretty much kitted myself out for my last winter Arctic trip from there. Cheap and does the job.

We've a Decathlon down the road in Reims, and i have used their stuff in the past. I do find it quite well designed but not very well made. Fleeces and T-shirts have shrunk badly and lining from waterproof jacket delaminated after a few months. The PCS stuff actually works out cheaper too, despite having to pay shipping from UK..(But I guess that will soon change.. !!)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I havent really needed any proper cold weather clothing so far this winter. Its been very mild unfortunately and more "wet" than cold, which ofcourse brings its own problems.

The new lightweight goretex kit is very good but like the rest its short in the arms. Never found the sleeka that good, but their softie shirt is excellent, unfortunately they don't seem to make it anymore.

Tonyuk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have good cold weather (-30C) clothing. Seems nothing goes wrong outside until cold nights.
There's a chain of clothing stores here: Mark's Work Wearhouse, that stock good clothing at good prices.
The trade off is that the clothes and boots are heavy. Carhartt, Timberline, Sorrel, Dakota are some name brands.
To me the biggest issue is to get out of the wind and Carhartt clothing wins, every time.
Our next best option is to shop in the snowmobile stores.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cant go wrong with the sleeka/snugpack type softie jackets. Softie Pants too but they are a little OTT if working or any where near a fire, way too warm. Usually just a pair of combats and cotton long-johns.
Merino base layer, snug, decent hat and boots and you are set for all but arctic stuff.

Most of the time I over pack in winter even with the above as i am mostly working or in-front of a fire.

Trotsky

I find myself regularly haunting Varusteleka and other places and snapping up tidy deals on old woollen gear, be it knitted or felted etc. I've picked up some tidy stuff on the cheap that's rather warm like the Danish wool jumper with the zip up the front which my other half calls my "tramp jumper." I also not long back got an old Swedish wool tunic/jacket, it's covered in pockets, bomb proof in construction and with the collar done up keeps you snug.
My only big winter clothing spend of recent times has been one of these: http://www.stanfields.com/men/underwear/one-piece-combinations/heavy-weight-wool-comb.html
Not for the faint of heart who complain of "itchy wool" or the unfortunately allergic but, by 'eck is it warm!

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Good for you Garethw.

I've been promoting mil surplus C&E on here since I joined - usually Austrian as it was way ahead of Brit kit in terms of quality, design (and dare I say style!)

Plus it isn't camo (not that I have anything against camo - I do use some when required). That stated the Austrian olive-grey in itself is excellent without resorting to dpm.

Brit kit has caught up recently (I get a new kit preview via offspring every so often) and I use the base layers and the thermal jacket (not the fleece pullover - rubbish IMHO).

All of that stated I do mix the Austrian mil surplus with (forgive me) some Fjall Raven items particularly the Barents trousers in those lovely tarmac and olive colours just to break up any 'suit' effect that wearing matching mil surplus tops and bottoms can have. :)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norwegian-...9KMME-BuB_oEsw

Great jackets but watch the size you order, they are designed to fit over military kit so the cut is generous; I'm XL but found the standard L to fit me better.

They are pretty warm, but yes, they are really hard to get in a size that actually fits you - hence the reason that S/M sizes are like hens teeth. And averaging about £25-30, they look less of a bargain when you can get a decent synthetic jacket from Decathalon for £34.95, and a similar jacket from Cotswold for £45.

Thats perhaps one of the problems of surplus kit - they are designed to do a job, but it might not be exactly the job you want. And when I've looked at the Paul Kirtly link, I start itching at even the thought of that much wool!

garethw

Settler
Never found the sleeka that good

I guess you are referring to the army issue Sleeka type jacket. I've not used the issue version, but the Snugpak Sleeka Elite. I must say it is hands down the best winter jacket I've used. It packs down small into it's stuff sack, so can easily go in the back pack, and it is very very warm. As soon as you put it on you're warm.. I love it. I have used it in the Alps in winter, just out and a bout in the countryside and mostly for over night fishing in the cooler months. I like thge fact it is a bit over sized as you can just pull it over whatever you are wearing.
In fact it is too hot to hike in, as it has no ventilation, but as soon as you stop it can be pulled on for instant warmth.

I would say though that none of these type of clothing, be it the Sleeka, Buffalo, or Monatane are going to be any good around a fire. My old, and no retired Trakker Pile/pertex top had several small burns on it.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I guess you are referring to the army issue Sleeka type jacket. I've not used the issue version, but the Snugpak Sleeka Elite. I must say it is hands down the best winter jacket I've used. It packs down small into it's stuff sack, so can easily go in the back pack, and it is very very warm. As soon as you put it on you're warm.. I love it. I have used it in the Alps in winter, just out and a bout in the countryside and mostly for over night fishing in the cooler months. I like thge fact it is a bit over sized as you can just pull it over whatever you are wearing.
In fact it is too hot to hike in, as it has no ventilation, but as soon as you stop it can be pulled on for instant warmth.

I would say though that none of these type of clothing, be it the Sleeka, Buffalo, or Monatane are going to be any good around a fire. My old, and no retired Trakker Pile/pertex top had several small burns on it.

I actually prefer the issue softie to the snugpak standard sleeka. The sleeka is cat far too short and restrictive in the arm for me and every time i either reach out, or if im driving etc... the cuffs ride up, and stay up since they're elastic.

You can see what i mean here, with the sleeve sitting at an angle downwards;

mbHWY1xV6C4s9y-9C5VAn0Q.jpg

Whereas the shirts are much more of a straight cut;

snugpak-pile-shirt-elite.jpg

The new softies (The SJ6 for example) are much better cut wise, but the collars are massive, and the zips are poor, so i never bothered with them.

The keela belay is an excellent jacket too, and only £45 ish from their factory shop if you live near.

Tonyuk

garethw

Settler
I actually prefer the issue softie to the snugpak standard sleeka. The sleeka is cat far too short and restrictive in the arm for me and every time i either reach out, or if im driving etc... the cuffs ride up, and stay up since they're elastic.

You can see what i mean here, with the sleeve sitting at an angle downwards;

mbHWY1xV6C4s9y-9C5VAn0Q.jpg

Whereas the shirts are much more of a straight cut;

snugpak-pile-shirt-elite.jpg

The new softies (The SJ6 for example) are much better cut wise, but the collars are massive, and the zips are poor, so i never bothered with them.

The keela belay is an excellent jacket too, and only £45 ish from their factory shop if you live near.

Tonyuk

I actually find my fine... I got a large size in both the Sleeka and the Pile shirt ... I'm not one for wearing next to skin.. I use the pile top as a smock over other layers and it works fine. The sleeves are a bit too long.
I find the extra size of the Sleeka makes it actually quite long on me and sleeves are about right. It is big enough to go over other layers when I need to be wearing a sleeping bag..LOL!!
I've not seen the new issue versions...
I guess like most of these types clothing they fit some and not others... I certainly find the PCS sizings wierd.. the T-shirts were really small sized I had to get an XL, where as the trousers and goretex were huge on my in L...
cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE