Best bit of Winter kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
As temperatures have plummeted here in Northern France, with a day time high of around zero, with a windchill making it feel like -6 or -7°C...
Two bits of kit that made walking the dog warm and toasty today were my Craghoppers Winter lined trousers and my Snugpak Sleeka Elite jacket.
Both are very windproof, warm, light and comfortable..

What is your favourite winter kit?

cheers
Gareth

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My two favourite bits of winter kit?
The two shirts I made from Merino blankets!
Merino shirt from a blanket (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).jpg
001 (4) (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).jpg
Same pattern but different colours (both blankets started off Day-glo Orange.
A third (or second if you want different styles of item - my Merino blanket lined Wax cotton Gilet, again made by me :)
I cannot find the photos of that at the moment...

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Merino wool Buff and Extremities thin windproof gloves. Live in my Velez and have been great walking the dog through the woods at 0530. Definitely come into the category of kit that would be instantly replaced if lost or damaged.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I was just thinking the other day How good my Dutch Army half wool base layer tops have been They make a real difference when the temperature drops

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My Swedish army M90 parka, and my BilmoP5 bushshirt. Wear those and being cold is pretty much impossible.

Mind you, my German police fur hat and the fur-lined sleep boots my wife made me for hammock use are right up there too. Warm head, warm feet.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Had some nice -12 nights up here recently :cool: and my favourites are my Sorel Big Horn boots, they've been keeping my feet warm for about 15 winters now. The other two items are my Hestra Guide gloves and my US M51 Alpaca pile field cap.

garethw

Settler
My winter favourites are:

Montane Extreme pile smock.

Some sheepskin gloves, bulky but toasty warm!

I think my next pile/pertex will be the Montane.... I've got a Trakker version (getting a bit worn now), that has been a great piece of kit. I managed to get it half price before production was stopped. Others on here have said its as good as the other better known brands. I often wear it under my Sleeka when fishing, and even sitting arounds in minus temps I've not been cold... A very good & warm piece of kit...

cheers
Gareth

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Merino wool Buff and Extremities thin windproof gloves. Live in my Velez and have been great walking the dog through the woods at 0530. Definitely come into the category of kit that would be instantly replaced if lost or damaged.

Merino wool buff for me as well, ive got 2, used them almost every day when its cold, sometimes use them as mittens as I have the pair
ive got 9 buffs now ( some fake!) and 7 shemaghs,

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
My buffalo SP 6 Shirt or old Helly Hansen FibrePile Jacket
Wool Thinsulate gloves never found anything warmer (tried loads of gloves)
old wooly pulley

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Interesting thread, as I've just got my second buffalo special 6. Matelan have thinsulate hats in at the moment for £3 & fleece gloves for the same price.

Had a phone call from my son, saying he's not been well & he's put it down to getting cold last week while out on patrol(military police). I've told him to invest in a buff(can't have mine)& to get some merino wool underwear.

Rob

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Buffalo Mountain Shirt, bought a new one last year after twenty odd years of service, Mrs. StJon wears the old one now...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Merino base, snugpack softie, crag lined pants, hiltrek ventile wind shirt, merino wool hat n good socks.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
up until last month i'd have said my Austrian Datchstein jumper, but managed to get a down Fjallraven Kyle parka for less than half price a few weeks ago. Wow its solo warm and toasty. can't wait to try it out in earnest up in Finnmark next month.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Buffalo in combo with Woolpower 200, keeps you warm up to -20° when you stay out of the wind. No brainer, goes with me everywhere, even in Summer.

Looking forward to testing my brand new Hestra Falt Guide's (Woodlore Edition, 10 GBP cheaper than the 'normal' ones. (just checked the website, seems they are discontinued?)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
EDZ neck tube thing is the best bit of winter kit for me.
Been putting a fairly massive roof (about a third the size of my street and quite complex as well) on recently in the snowy weather. That thing is just great.
Not poncy at all, likely made from recycled pop bottles but I don't care, it makes a huge difference.

Well, that and my Lowe Alpine mountain cap.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I would love to own some Pendleton shirts. Period.

In my district, nothing seems to go wrong outside the house until the very coldest days of winter.
Snowmobile boots, flannel-lined blue jeans, Eddie Bauer down parka with hood, wool toque with ear flaps
and snowmobile gloves. Good for struggles at -30C (swapping out truck batteries, etc).
My gloves came with a goggle wiper squee-gee blade on the left index finger. Try to wipe the drip off your
nose at -30C and that thing cuts like a knife.

If I had to pick out the best of that pile, it has to be the flannel-lined pants.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE