BEEB SAYS "New straw to kill disease as you drink "

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
F

FreshMint

Yep I have seen some show once that said that the invention of the plastic bottle has saved so many lifes in certain countries.
Things we take for granted.

leon-1

Sounds great, there could be downsides though, some water born diseases are worm infections.

So you have kids drinking from water they are standing in, what's the problem you say??

The answer is shistosomiasis, elephantisis and filariasis (actually a cause of elephantiasis) as just a few of nasties that can be caught from the water itself without even drinking it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I wonder how long they last if the water is dirty, it's bound to start clogging it at some point and I expect the 700lt is the best you could look at.

Saying all that, if it's something that cuts down on a lot of illness then it's got to be a good thing. :D

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Some information I have picked up:

"Comments from the company regarding the availability of Lifestraw in the United States:
Thank you very much for the email and interest in LifeStraw. LifeStraw has been launched for complex emergencies like the earthquake in Pakistan where more than 70,000 LifeStraw have been distributed. In North America, though it will take a little longer for us to be able to sell it since we will be going through EPA for their approval. We estimate to receive the approval by first quarter 2007. If you have further questions please feel free to contact us at any time, we will keep your email and will send you a date when we know more about the timing for EPA's approval"

source: http://www.medgadget.com/archives/2005/05/lifestraw.html

The manufacturer's website is: www.lifestraw.com

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
BCB make a similar device, its just thicker than a drinking straw, and filters the water as you drink, its £8, and lasts for 50 litres, then blocks itself. I keep one in my rucksack, and they work, they dont even taste of iodine (as far as I can tell)

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
Tony said:
I wonder how long they last if the water is dirty, it's bound to start clogging it at some point and I expect the 700lt is the best you could look at.

Saying all that, if it's something that cuts down on a lot of illness then it's got to be a good thing. :D

as you say its got to be a good thing. the filter must block before the iodine stops working but even if it does not the water must be cleaner coming out than going in.
if you end up stuck where the only water is un boilable the straw is a good second choice I think. But to give out to people for nomal day to day use I think not.

David

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
" Not helpful with Giardia, which is caused by an iodine-resistant organism with 5 micron spores".

"Giardia are a group of flagellate protozoans which grow in the intestinal tracts of both vertebrates and invertebrates and cause diarrhoeal disease in humans. The disease can be transmitted by direct contact with infected animals and humans, or by consumption of water, food or beverages contaminated by the faeces of infected humans or animals. Many cases are associated with recent foreign travel"

" common in Eastern Europe and across the USA. But Giardia can be found around the globe and is the most common gut parasite in the UK."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/giardiasis1.shtml.

Is Giardia an issue for UK bushcrafters? I had thought not.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
david1 said:
is this them
http://www.usmcpro.com/usmcgb/indexf.php?PHPSESSID=df1ef09ede6a388021269ea1fb8b29e2
then pick
"EQUIPMENT tab"
then pick
"BIVOUAC" on left
then pic
"Chow Time" on left
then pic
"Water Purification" on right
then pic
"WATER PURIFYING STRAW"

sorry I know that is painful but there did not seem to be an easyer way.

Unfortunately not, thats the old more expensive, less lasting version, the BCB one I think.

Sorry to dredge this thread up, just that I was thinking about them today and have been off searching and there arev stioll no signes of them being small scale commercially available, the company doesnt even have a UK office :rolleyes:

Oh well - one for the future.

Rgds

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE