Bear Grylls- Urban Survivor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
So, in answer to one of your original questions - it would appear not then.

What I've read is disappointing. People don't seem to be willing to discuss, but they are willing to ram opinions down throats forcefully in the absence of discussion.

He didn't used to bother me, his programme was what it was and I used to watch it for light entertainment. Recently though he has overstepped the mark with his bat tennis attitude, but I'll leave that as there is already a thread about it and this one is discussing the Urban Survival episode.

To be honest, I thought that episode was pointless. Lets face it, you are never going to trapped inside a deserted building for any great length of time, without A) being able to get out. B) being able to alert other people you are there, and C) needing to learn freerunning to do it all. It was just a series filler as the formula is running out of steam. This last series seems to have gone back to the craziness of the first series exploits though. The last couple of series were better in terms of content and reasonable facts.

darrenh

Apr 20, 2010
new forest
What i would like to see is more fact and skills some education and reason behind what he does, i think he is shooting himself in the foot by doing the crazy stuff, he is obviously a very fit and talented person ( with a cast iron stomach) but possibly people will loose faith in what he does and write it all off as crazy Bear s£&* that i dont think will do the future of Bushcraft any favours if our children model themselves on him and his lack of regards for teaching skills

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
Interesting points. There are only so many types of terrain on this planet, so the risk of repeating them is high. But his Born Survivor programmes are designed to be watched and enjoyed as entertainment. They're not as educational as others, maybe because others do that differently / better (delete as per point of view). I think the fact that Discovery America are paying for them makes all the difference. They get shows like this in America because they have a lot of short bursts of action in between loads of ad breaks. That's one of the ways they do telly. We're used to quality, not attention grabbing. Whack just a few ads in and the show is different. I can't see putting 10 ad breaks in a Ray Mears show doing it any favours at all. Ray's shows are very British, and thankfully so. It's quality over quantity. But there's a place, I think anyway, for shows like Born Survivor.

I think there are also only a few poster boys of skills on show - making fire, shelter, food, escape. All of which seems based, now I come to think of it, on the PLAN acronym, or as Bear puts it - Please Remeber What's First. This is, I assume, because of the SAS training - it's what he knows. I don't think this type of show is the place to go into skills too much.

As for the Urban show, it wasn't great. I think Discovery saw the Dos Equis beer advert and wanted a show like that. Since then he's done the Worst Case Scenario shows and these seem like a better way to take this type of show forward.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
What i would like to see is more fact and skills some education and reason behind what he does, i think he is shooting himself in the foot by doing the crazy stuff, he is obviously a very fit and talented person ( with a cast iron stomach) but possibly people will loose faith in what he does and write it all off as crazy Bear s£&* that i dont think will do the future of Bushcraft any favours if our children model themselves on him and his lack of regards for teaching skills

It's an entertainment programme not an educative how to survival documentary. I'd say most of the audience even those who have no idea about survival can recognise that fact. I don't watch BG for solid gold nuggets of survival or 'Bushcraft' wisdom any more than I watch 'Mythbusters' for solid factual science or 'American Chopper' because I want to know how to make a custom motor bike, or the 'Deadliest Catch' because I'm interested in crab fishing in the Baring Sea.

I do watch it because I find it entertaining and I do think he's good to watch and he gets to do some cool stuff. (anyone here parachuted from a helicopter onto a pacific island recently??)

Discovery make entertainment programmes. Constanly panning BG is a futile thing to do. He's making a living and enjoying what he does and from all accounts he's a nice bloke in the flesh. The sucess of the show amongst the mainstream of the viewing public would suggest that for most people BG's antics make for good viewing. I doubt if the programmes producers really give two hoots if 70% of BCUK think that the programme is pants.

But we seem constantly drawn to keep commenting on what a T**T BG is how the programmes are unrealistic, did you see the rope ect ect ad infinitum . If you think it's Carp don't watch it...

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Mad, The last place i would want to be. Those old places are full of ASBESTOS and ASBESTOS DUST.
Looks like the place was not in the UK.

Topknot

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
It's an entertainment programme not an educative how to survival documentary. I'd say most of the audience even those who have no idea about survival can recognise that fact. I don't watch BG for solid gold nuggets of survival or 'Bushcraft' wisdom any more than I watch 'Mythbusters' for solid factual science or 'American Chopper' because I want to know how to make a custom motor bike, or the 'Deadliest Catch' because I'm interested in crab fishing in the Baring Sea.

I do watch it because I find it entertaining and I do think he's good to watch and he gets to do some cool stuff. (anyone here parachuted from a helicopter onto a pacific island recently??)

Discovery make entertainment programmes. Constanly panning BG is a futile thing to do. He's making a living and enjoying what he does and from all accounts he's a nice bloke in the flesh. The sucess of the show amongst the mainstream of the viewing public would suggest that for most people BG's antics make for good viewing. I doubt if the programmes producers really give two hoots if 70% of BCUK think that the programme is pants.

But we seem constantly drawn to keep commenting on what a T**T BG is how the programmes are unrealistic, did you see the rope ect ect ad infinitum . If you think it's Carp don't watch it...

Hear! Hear! I couldnt agree more! :)

Kudos for you my man!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
you only need to ask me about urban survival - got a job, a roof over my head , and when the money comes in I know where to locate the richest food source (lidyls) and cheapest beer.(bargain booze) I remember to lock the doors at night and I always check the iron is off before I leave the house . it's a cake walk this urban survival!

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
I was staying with a friend of mine recently in British Columbia. She is a semi-proffessional surfer and an extremely active outdoor type. She had never heard of Bear, so I showed her some clips one evening. As she watched she looked at me mouth open and in shock until she quickly regained herself and had an outburst of hysterical laughter...which I of course joined (he is, lets face it, hilarious). When I mentioned in conversation the fact that he had a survival skills book out on the shelves her attitude totally changed to seriousness and disbelief...he is going to get someone killed/ do people really see him as an expert then!!!?? But he is obviously just a movie star actor!? were among her reactions. I think there is a lot in that?

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
Ex forces mate of mine tell me he had a weekend with him when he was RSAS (bear not my mate) they shared a shelter ,he likes him reckons he was a top guy .not sure myself.

All these progs urban or otherwise are all iffy,as one situation will never be the same as the next,just common sense is the best option,Bear for me seems to be chasing the cash,cant blame him but i only watch if im in and nowt else is on

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol

What's that sound? Oh, that would be the dulcet tones of someone hitting the nail on the head.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland

Thank God somebody gets it. Message for everyone else: it's not real and it's a TV show. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

darrenh

Apr 20, 2010
new forest
point taken about him doing "entertainment" but this guy is/was head of or honary head of the scouting movement in the UK surely he needs to show some maturety and lead by example

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
point taken about him doing "entertainment" but this guy is/was head of or honary head of the scouting movement in the UK surely he needs to show some maturety and lead by example

Ah a change of Tack...

Ok I believe he is 'chief scout' in the UK. I also believe that following his appointment interest getting involved with the Scouting movement from both potential scouts and possibly more importantly potential scouting leaders reached a very high level.

The PR his appointment generated raised the profile of scouting in the UK. Is that a bad thing?

I don't see why he is a bad role model? He's fit, has a young family, get's into the outdoors, has done some cool stuff all things conventional society deems to be acceptable and worthy. I think what you are trying to allude to is kid's will see him doing stuff join scouts and then try to eat snakes and back flip off of waterfalls.

Do you really think that will happen the scouting movement with many years of experience dealing with young folk will all of a sudden allow stuff like that to happen. If you do I think you're nuts...

What is likely to happen is some kid will possibly get inspired after watching one of his shows to get off of the Xbox and want to give that 'survival stuff' a go and head down to the local scout group as scouts is where that stuff happens.. Result possibly one young person involved in the outdoors for life...

I may be different to a lot of you in the UK. I know the difference between entertainment and real life as do all of the Kids I work with in the outdoors they've seen BG's shows like em but understand that's not real but it's given them a kick start to get outdoors.

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol

I'm not so sure that having a gung ho attitude is a bad thing here.
He's already gone on record that he would like the scouts to move away from the health and safety conscious world and get back to the days when a scout could light a fire and open a pen knife with fear of cutting himself. And he's generated a hell of a lot of publicity and interest in the movement. Kids like that sort of thing, and them knowing how to do scouting type stuff properly is a great thing.

If Bear can get that going amongst more people then good on the scouts for appointing him I say.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Lets just seperate Bear from his programme. They are two very different animals. Unlike RM, he doesn't have as much input into how the show is run.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Pete

personally i think 'urban survival' is a loads of BS :pokenest:
Not to the many people on various internet "survival forums" that will readily list the amount of ammunition and number of firearms they have stockpiled to protect themselves from....

...the rampaging masses when the manure hits the fan, or..
...when the Zombie hordes take over, or..
...when the next pandemic brings about TEOTWAWKI, or..
...(insert any other imaginable event)..

So obviously, urban survival is a serious matter for some people :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Kind regards
Mick

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
Lets just seperate Bear from his programme. They are two very different animals. Unlike RM, he doesn't have as much input into how the show is run.

quoted for truth!
i despair at the stuff they get this guy to do in the form of entertainment. when he was appointed chief scout last year, he done an interview on radio 1 with iirc edith bowman and to be perfectly honest my opinion of him changed for the better.
he sincerely wanted to use his appointment to get kids off the xbox and doing more outdoors activities. if his programmes inspire some overweight kids to get out and enjoy the outdoors with the scout movement then i for one think it cant be all that bad.

Mang

Settler

When he undertakes activities with kids as unpaid Chief Scout he always does so safely, the Scout Association aren't going to have it any other way! He had the Scout world membership badge stitched on his arm in the Urban episode which was seen a lot. I watch Born survivor but wasn't as keen on this episode however, it's worth trying a different angle I guess.

One thing that strikes me is that the programme is geared towards the US with Bear talking about 'trash', 'elevators' and 'gasoline'.

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney

Well said, there seem to be alot of people here spend a lot of time watching something they don't approve of. I wonder if many chefs or professional tradesmen get as excited in their disdain for some cooking and home improvement shows. Maybe its just the bushcraft equivalent of 20,000 over weight unfit 40 odd year old screaming instructions at their football team from their seat every Saturday afternoon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE