Bear Grylls- Urban Survivor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
"bear is too energetic and has to be harnessed or he would be running wild through the streets".

Sounds like ADHD. Maybe 'care in the community' should be helping here.

Last edited:

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day m.durston

....when he was appointed chief scout last year, he done an interview on radio 1 with iirc edith bowman and to be perfectly honest my opinion of him changed for the better.
he sincerely wanted to use his appointment to get kids off the xbox and doing more outdoors activities. if his programmes inspire some overweight kids to get out and enjoy the outdoors with the scout movement then i for one think it cant be all that bad.
I agree with his goal :35:

IMO, the best way to do this is for all parents to take an active role, rather than rely on a TV personality by :

(1) Not have either pay TV or an Xbox in the household in the first place and

(2) For parents to encourage an outdoor active lifestyle in their kids by taking them outdoors on a regular basis :D

Kind regards
Mick

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, yes, I have heard of this thing called WebTV

But Im too busy embarking on my hobbies to watch it

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
lmao, ive just seen a few clips of it on youtube. It's like hes done a parody of himself, that's how bad it is.

edit: i think my favorite line is right at the start "ive adapted my survival skills to the dangers faced by soldiers behind enemy lines and *survivors of 9/11*" - before going on to show how to catch a rat using a trap.

*** ?! As far as i know, noone after 9/11 was cracking out rat-dessert.

Last edited:

takjaa

May 20, 2010
Hampshire, England
lmao, ive just seen a few clips of it on youtube. It's like hes done a parody of himself, that's how bad it is.

edit: i think my favorite line is right at the start "ive adapted my survival skills to the dangers faced by soldiers behind enemy lines and *survivors of 9/11*" - before going on to show how to catch a rat using a trap.

I was just about to write exactly this mesg!!

oh dear bear what have you done to yourself??!! never again will you be taken seriously in any way shape or form!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
OMG! another BG Vs RM thread, and i'm replying again!

compare them to 2 very different types of evenings out. 1) Ray Mears is the night in the local, listening to the guys with stories to tell and learning that amazing things happen in real life that are amazing and memorable, all washed down with several pints of the best local brewed ale!
2) Bear is a high octane tequila drenched night out in a garrison town which usually ends up in a brawl or having shots poured into your mouth by a couple of local bikes hoping for a quick fumble! you can never remember much about it apart from the hilarious or the nasty! often this includes the porcelain hugging session afterwards!

i have to be honest, i was in the anti-Bear camp at first, i liked the first couple of series, then when all that stuff about filming in hotel gardens and stuff i thought it had lost its way a bit, but the last couple of series have been really enjoyable. you have to take it for what it is, shock entertainment. Ray is educational.

But i have to say Rays series have started to anoy me slightly, he seemed to go on a very personal obsession with Australia which i couldn't really relate to. his survival series on itv is a step in the right direction IMO.

i like them both, for different reasons, you see some bizarre stuff done on BG that i often question but still enjoy watching it, the locations are excellent. and the other night the 'behind the scenes' episode was on. the safety crew consited of ex Para and Marines, who took it all very seriously but applied forces wit to the whole thing, very good to see.

i haven't heard of the last chance series or whatever it was called which i'm interested in seeing.

both these guys are doing their own thing, let them do it, if you don't like it, you must have 50 other channels to watch, press the button and watch something else.
i personally think that les stroud is a halfway house between the two programmes and is my favourite, but any bushcraft/survival stuff on the telly is good isn't it? consider how much attention is paid to carp like celebs and soaps and programs discussing family breakdowns on the coucil estates and brothers marrying sisters etc etc.

just enjoy.

now, someone ban these bg vs rm threads! pleaaase!!

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Have to say cant watch it 1st series is all i'm going off though ,camera angles and all that fake urgency made my head spin so for a boring old fart like me i turn him off,but my 10yr loves him and watches all his shows,BG was the inspiration for him to start fishing because he wanted to catch and eat a fish [cooked] so hes not all bad if viewed from a young uns eyes.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
i do understand what people on this thread are saying regarding it being only entertainment, but i do think it's very dangerous to give out incorrect advice or frankly dangeroud advice in an authoritative mannor. Some day someone will try one of these 'techniques', and die doing so.

He seems like a nice enough person, and away from the cameras he does alot of good regarding the scouts and so on, but there cant be much defence for planting the seed into people's head that its a good idea to try climbing down a waterfall using only a vine, or blowing a door off its hinges when its right next to a window. Kids see these things, see the booms and bangs, and go out to try it.

Wigs

Jun 9, 2010
Merseyside
***i personally think that les stroud is a halfway house between the two programmes and is my favourite, but any bushcraft/survival stuff on the telly is good isn't it?***

(Sorry I was trying to insert this that somebody typed and put my reply under it,im new here and dont know how to do that yet.)

But I agree,only last nite I downloaded all survivorman sreies by Les Stroud and he is smack bang in the middle of RM and BG

Last edited:

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
i do understand what people on this thread are saying regarding it being only entertainment, but i do think it's very dangerous to give out incorrect advice or frankly dangeroud advice in an authoritative mannor. Some day someone will try one of these 'techniques', and die doing so.

I don't think he gives out incorrect advice. He gives out advice for a situation he's put in by the TV company. People aren't going to try to eat live frog's or abseil down waterfalls just because. And anyway - why can't people eat live frogs and abseil down waterfalls if they want to. The fun police get into too much of life as it is. If he inspires you to try coasteering or abseiling or rock climbing then you'd be pretty daft to go into them not having even the slightest inkling that these sorts of things have a element of risk attached. It's not Bear's fault if someone tries something risky and get's it wrong.

Surely people need to take responsibility for their own actions?

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
I agree they should, but sadly it seems more and more they don't. I'd like to think everyone is smart enough to think what they're about to do. Sadly, having been on the decent from Ben Nevis the winter before last, the top of which had 2 foot deep snow and meeting someone going up in shorts and sandals i think thats not going to happen. :)

ChrisW

Aug 19, 2008
Bristol
I agree they should, but sadly it seems more and more they don't. I'd like to think everyone is smart enough to think what they're about to do. Sadly, having been on the decent from Ben Nevis the winter before last, the top of which had 2 foot deep snow and meeting someone going up in shorts and sandals i think thats not going to happen. :)

Then isn't that their fault, not Bear's?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Clearly you have not been watching the same episodes as me - in survival situations doing high risk manovers and jumping around risking sprained ankles is the least sensible thing you can countenance. Im all for mucking about for the fun of it - i dont think i said otherwise, and thats rather the point that people are unlikely to know the difference between good advice and bad - to be frank it being on telly will make it likely to get to a wide audience and be somethign that one might recall if found in that situation. But many of the things are still a stupid idea.

If everyone accepts is only entertainment whats wrong with stating so?

It reminds me of supermarkets saying they credit their customers with intelligence which is why they allow labeling which might appear, at first glance and to the uneducated to be made in a certain way or location. Whereas the reality is that witsure cured for example is a type of curing and means nothing about the UK (unlike champayne etc) just one example.

Chris your - 'people arnt going to...' comment, i think we all know better than that you only have to spend a moment looking around or read a paper. Its a rather sad state but playing ostrich isnt going to help.
Of course thats only my opinion etc etc

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

I've been on the ben and down in the brecon beacons and on quite a few other hills and mountains all before BG had left prep school and guess what there were daft folk around long before BG's TV programmes.

Clearly you have not been watching the same episodes as me - in survival situations doing high risk manovers and jumping around risking sprained ankles is the least sensible thing you can countenance. Im all for mucking about for the fun of it - i dont think i said otherwise, and thats rather the point that people are unlikely to know the difference between good advice and bad - to be frank it being on telly will make it likely to get to a wide audience and be somethign that one might recall if found in that situation. But many of the things are still a stupid idea.

If everyone accepts is only entertainment whats wrong with stating so?

Actually in the episodes I've seen there is quite a disclaimer at the start along the lines of Dont try this at home and some situations are contrived so BG can show specific 'survival skills'.

It seems to me that if folk want to watch TV and then emulate the person on TV they will do so.

Why are folk so keen to snake around for any angle to have a pop at BG?? I just don't get it he's just a bloke on TV?? On this thread we've had pretty much all the ususal tactics.

1.The Programme is unrealistic ( who'd have thought that)
2.He's a bad example to kids ( even though he's UK Chief Scout and actually a reasonably good example for kids from all accounts, Kid's know the difference between TV and the real deal it seems.)
3.People might copy his antics and get themselves into trouble in the outdoors. (Even in the uber PC and HSE led UK ultimately folk have to take responsibility for their own actions.)

It's really simple if you think the programmes or the man himself are rubbish. Dont watch them. I personally don't like 'Greys Anatomy' or 'Private Practice' ( popular american 'medical' dramas) and guess what I don't watch them. I definately dont watch them and then go on a forum and carp on about how bad they are...

In short get over it...

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

And did they survive the experience?

I have done daft things in the past, who hasn't? Walking in bare feet on frozen ground is interesting, after a while the soles of your feet go totally numb and it feels like walking on velvet :)

I still have all my toes BTW.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE