Bear Grylls Made Me Do It.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Don't like to get involved in celeb slagging but the cover story of the Scottish newspaper "The Courier" had me chuckling yesterday.
Headline was "Fisherman Caught In Park With Crossbow"; with a secondry headline, "Accused says he took tips from Bear Grylls show before packing for trip."
He appeared in court as he'd be detained in a local park in the small hours of the morning in July with a crossbow, wig, latex gloves, locking saw blade and a quantity of methadone.
During questioning he said that they were suggested in the manual. The wig was to keep him warm as it's cold up here in Scotland (he's from Plymouth). He also had cotton wool for tinder and a balaclava also to help him keep warm. He was on his way north to join a scallop fishing boat it's claimed.
He was reported to the police by a couple out "feeding ducks" at 3am in the park and that he behaved in a threatening manner.
The trial continues.
There's obviously other issues here but it did bring a bit of a smile to my face and I actually bought a paper which I tend to avoid doing these days.
I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It's the tactical survival methadone you should never leave without, haven't you read any of bears books?! :lmao:

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
ha ha..........

This has made my day! Was he going to try and shoot scallops with the cross bow? That would be impressive!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
All joking aside. Can you imagine being stuck on a boat in the north sea for a week with this guy. :(

That was one of my thoughts. It's bad enough the "nutter sitting aside you on the bus" type of thing. But stuck out at sea. That's the stuff of books and films. Used to find that forestry attracted some colourful fowk and you'd sometimes get paired up with someone odder than I was. I'd be sitting eating my piece in the landrover with them when it finally clicked that things didn't bode well for my future well being and I was in the middle of nowhere.
Reading the paper the chap does seem to have issues and part of it seems to be just a story to try and explain away his actions. But unfortunately it does colour folks views on our hobbies. Like when back in the bad old 80's when bushcraft was called Survival and folk would take a step back when they realised what your hobby was. To them survival was linked to some Rambo like paranoid living in a bunker waiting for the government to come.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Yeah but you are a classy fellow Mr Fenna i'm sure you're not combining wig use and methadone abuse, i hope

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE