Beach camp south east Scotland.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Rich, 11.45 aint no probs,you could probably leave your neck of the woods around 1pm as im looking for meeting at mine around 4pm be at bay around 5pm no worries( 5mins to farm by car, 12 mins walk from farm to cliff ,10-15 mins down cliff) i will pm you my postcode and phone number in case you need them. lets hope this rain stops and the predicted heatwave comes, to dry out drift wood.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich, 11.45 aint no probs,you could probably leave your neck of the woods around 1pm as im looking for meeting at mine around 4pm be at bay around 5pm no worries( 5mins to farm by car, 12 mins walk from farm to cliff ,10-15 mins down cliff) i will pm you my postcode and phone number in case you need them. lets hope this rain stops and the predicted heatwave comes, to dry out drift wood.

I'm planning to come up with Andy (scrogger) and then pick up Tony on the way, Andy (scrogger :rolleyes: ) should be on tonight to sort stuff out.

What's the plan for firewood, water & alcohol ?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
answer to questions,
i will go and drop off firewood at the farm(may need a hand getting some down),and there is drift wood on the beach, if anyone wants to bring more or a small bag of coal then feel free, alcohol, i will be taking some beers again personnel choice what you want to bring,
and please bring some water, i will take extra (15l container being dropped off) plus some water bottles and a camelbak, but ,and i experianced this with my brother we ran low and it was hot, and that was in April so if this expected heatwave turns up we better have that little extra,just incase.I will take as much as i can carry down on Thursday,and hopefully ive got a mate to help me,the good news is on the way back we can empty un drunk water and burn off any un used coal/wood for the climb back up!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Just checked the tide times for the area, and it should be low tide when we arrive on the friday,gives us chance to set up and have a look around some of the caves, pools, etc.
Weather is set to be up and down, its been humid but misty here off and on for a week now,and today the odd shower, which is set to continue, not the blazing heat its meant to be or like down south is experiencing,well thats according to the five day forcast!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Andy, do we bring the water with us from home or is there a standpipe of some sort near the farm to fill our water containers?
Cheers.

I've got a 15L carrier which I'm filling at home Tony, I reckon they'll be some fresh we can find runnng off the cliffs aswell.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Cheers Rich.
I too am bringing a 15L carrier, as I never skimp on water supplies.
I was toying with the idea of setting up a mini de-salination plant, but as it's only for the weekend ... :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was toying with the idea of setting up a mini de-salination plant, but as it's only for the weekend ... :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it :)

I think we should give it a go anyway Tony, not sure what kind of vegetation there is down there but we should be able to find something suitable.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
weh heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy everything ok this end!! Mothers op is now next week!!

Rich I will ring you in the morning for final times etc. Car is filled up with diesel

Swmbo said should I vacuum it out and clean the dash board etc!!! Dont know who she thinks I am giving lifts too.!!

I have got a bag of logs which I will stick in and a bag of coal from a previous outing.
I have only got a 2 litre bladder and a 2 litre camelback so if I run short of water can I cadge some of you guys as you seen to have the bigger containers.

Not sure whether to take my honey stove or pocket rocket. I need to get a Tatonka meths burner to go with mine as I only have a pop can one at the minute and its not that good in use.

look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi Sorry only just on pc just now, there wont be a tap or pipe accessible will explain why via pm, there is vegetation down at the beach,its really grown alot since i was last down, mostly fern, bracken,and the odd bush, im taking approx 20 litres of water down tonight,at the minute its really warm and humid here, although there is rain forecast over the weekend, how accurate/how much/ i dont know, the bay is a bit of a sun trap, and theres not much wind down there, probably 5 litres per person per day would be ok, there is a small stream at the top of the cliffs but how safe it is i dont know, its on sheep grazing land,and may be alittle dry this time of year. As said earlier we can dump kit at top of cliffs and pass it down in a line to each other, save going all the way up and down each time, this is probably advisable with the heavy stuff like logs,coal,water, dump the rucksacks at bottom first then get the rest.

View from top of cliffs in April showing approx 50% of beach looking south.

beachcampmatt003-1.jpg

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi Sorry only just on pc just now, there wont be a tap or pipe accessible will explain why via pm, there is vegetation down at the beach,its really grown alot since i was last down, mostly fern, bracken,and the odd bush, im taking approx 20 litres of water down tonight,at the minute its really warm and humid here, although there is rain forecast over the weekend, how accurate/how much/ i dont know, the bay is a bit of a sun trap, and theres not much wind down there, probably 5 litres per person per day would be ok, there is a small stream at the top of the cliffs but how safe it is i dont know, its on sheep grazing land,and may be alittle dry this time of year.

Looks like I need to find more water containers!!! I guess the red wine wont help with dehydration!!:rolleyes:

Just picked up some fishing lures etc form aldi though £8 for a box with different types not sure if they will be any good.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Andy is it a long walk back to where we will leave the car or would it be best to take all the stuff down in one go.? I was thinking of extra water and logs, coal etc. or maybe leaving a cool box in the back.

Andy

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi Andy,
no its not far, but its the climb, its probably about a mile, but its one hell of a trek up and down the cliffs, we could leave wood at top of cliffs as it can be dropped off quite near to edge then a five minute walk with it, or just take it to the edge and throw it down!!!!!as for water i would say you wont need much as it looks like weve got about 50litres already just between,Rich Tony and me.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Sounds good to me Andy I was going to bring some climbing kit etc to help with setting up a cummunal shelter cams etc but looks like we are pretty well sorted.

Cheers Toddy looking forward to this one and even more so now as I nearly didnt make it due to my 76 year old mum doing evil kinevil impressions on her stair lift!!!

Anyway all is well now. so hoping to have a nice chilling relaxing weekend.

Andy

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
ill bring a water carrier, and stop by the garage tonight refuel and collect logs, i will leave work at 1pm, google maps suggests a 2 hour drive so factoring traffic i reckon i will be there 3:30 - 4pm.

Stoo.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
So who is actually going? I am just making my Calzone pizza ready to chuck on the fire to warm up tomorrow night!!

I hope someone can give me some pointers for a bit of fishing it would be excellent to catch something to eat but i have never been that lucky!!!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers guys, looking forward to it myself, fingers crossed for weather. everyone can have a brew here till all arrive and are ready to go, see you all around 3-4pm 2moro. I will do a late report tonight when i get back probs around 10pm to let you know what drift wood situation, stream,and vegetation is like.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just been to Morrisons for supplies so I just need to pack now.

Let us know later Andy if we need more logs and I'll grab some in the morning aswell.

Do you reckon we can sling a tarp up where the old shelter thingy is ?

Woo hoo :red: :red:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE