BCUK smiths

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Make yourselves known.

As suggested on the other thread - lets keep this Bushcrafty.

Coming to thing about it - everything I have made has been bushcrafty in one way or another.

been doing it for *counts fingers* the best part of 4 years now, though it is a hobby for me - I'm no pro. Just an apprentice.

atb
Andy

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
well, I guess I would count ;)

most of the stuff I make could be considered bushcrafty, as is the way I teach/demonstrate forgin :lol:

I'm self taught and have been at it full time for getting on for 8 years now! (crikey is it that long now?)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
been doing it for *counts fingers* the best part of 4 years now, though it is a hobby for me - I'm no pro. Just an apprentice.

atb
Andy

eeeek... sounds dangerous if you have to count your fingers... :lmao:

I have my wheel rim, I have a few bits of metal.. all I really need is inspiration now... :D

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
This sounds like a good idea...

I have been working and training as a Smith for the last four years or so, but have only this year branched out and set up on my own. The link in my signature will show you a wee bit of what I've been up to, though it's still very much a WIP.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
well, I guess I would count
images
Ermmm... I dunnow...had a look at your website...borderline reallly...:)

Count me in, I'll stick to bushcrafty stuff...Promise.:)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ello!As you all may know i make Strike-a-lites and a whole manner of bushcrafty type metalwork like tripods, trivets, pot and utensil hangers, firegrills, knives&axes ect...
Im self taught and have been forging for about 6 years*i think*.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
i am lucky enough to do metalwork at school,
and i have made 6 knives and some other things so far so i dont know if i count.
Lonja
ps will try and make a forge of some description asap

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive been doing a bit over the last year, just the basics though, still learning.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Cheers for starting the thread up Everything Mac. I've been snowed under since I 'invaded' Jojo's thread with the tentative suggestion yesterday..... I had no idea what volume of response it would receive!

I've been 'smithing for a couple of years now (I class a my start date as the date I purchased my first anvil back in 2007) although I was taught the basics of shaping metal and repairing various implements by my grandfather on my mothers side who was what you'd probably call 'an old-school general agricultural labourer and general fixer of things' :lmao: but when I grew older, my love of beer, women and motorbikes took priority.

Over the past couple of years, I've gravitated back to traditional forging having only just found the time and the room to make it work. Initially my forge was outside, so everything was hauled out of the shed and then put away again after a couple of hours forging which was a pain! The good news is, that I now have a roof so my forging will hopefully become more prolific.

How are we fixed for a group for BCUK smiths as per the Groups already within the community (such as Urban Bushcraft, Dark Ages Group etc..) ?

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
No idea.
As I said I'm only an apprentice - the likes of Dave and Robin, would be able to answer most questions far better than I.

Most of the smithing thread on here are the generic "I want to make myself a knife."

The smith who taught me most of what I know always said to me anyone can do blacksmithing as long as they can lift a hammer "Gravity'll do the rest ;)"

I must admit I do enjoy trying to teach people what I know. Lots of fun.

I'd be up for a wee group though.
Andy

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
the likes of Dave and Robin, would be able to answer most questions far better than I.
All the theory you could ever want and more is now easily accessible over the web. It took me years of chatting with all manner of folk to get details of different qualities of different steel, heat treating info etc, now it is all there for the sake of a few clicks. The theory is nothing though without practice. Anyone that fancies a go should set up a simple forge and bash hot metal. Only after a few hours bashing can you begin to ask the right questions and understand the basic theory. Then the more hours you bash the better you get. I have no doubt, as with most skills, that being shown exactly how to use a hammer, how to manage your fire and how to heat treat, would save a lot of failed experimentation so if you can afford it a basic intro course would speed the learning process lots.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
count me in, im very very basic and just starting, but OMG is it awesome....... did my first forged blade not long back, and im the same as Silverhill Forge when he started, out side and a tiny blade forge, its powered with coal but i like it alot.......

my big aim is to start doing dammy at home....... some way of yet though....... i have asked dave budd some questions, he is very very helpful and always willing to take time to help.......

so thanks dave........

chris....

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Thank you to all those who've expressed an interest in a Blacksmith's group within the BCUK community, and thanks to Tony for the 'thumbs-up' to go ahead. I've taken the first steps towards getting things moving along. If I manage to get any time in the forge this weekend, I'll take a few photos and hopefully write a basic tutorial for one of my current personal favourites; the steel striker.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/group.php?groupid=13

Please feel free to join the group and post any questions or photos of projects etc that you feel may be of interest or benefit to the group.

Regards,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE