Basic Bushcraft Fishing pt 1

• Hey Guest, We've had to cancel our 2020 Summer BushMoot PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information.

dump of the stig

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
ah your on the fly dave! something ive only recently got into, my trout waters are too expensive so
I just kitted my self out for sea, had a few gar and mackerel on it which is a lot of fun, and a couple of
jack pike last winter, wana see if I can get a carp out on it, bet that's like being hooked up too
a steam train :)

dump of the stig

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
havnt had one on fly gear but ive had a mullet and they say that is comparable, its a great way of fishing isn't it.
feel every lunge and head shake of that fish.

Last edited:

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
I haven't been here for a while but after reading some of the posts in this thread I felt compelled to post.

Can those of you taking fish please read the following page about what fish you are legally allowed to take.
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/119393.aspx

Those of you taking 3lb perch, really shouldn't as it will be over 20cm, thus illegal to take, and Perch of that size aren't as populous as this thread would have you believe.

I don't fish for food, and I don't have a problem with those of you that do, providing that you stick to the rules. But I'd like to think that the people on this forum will at least do some homework first as to what you can legally take, and if it looks like it is a specimen, please return it. It's bad enough that Otters, Cormorants, etc. are plundering fish stocks, but to have you guys (who honestly should know better) taking fish illegally too, just takes the ****.

Sorry for the preachy rant. :) (<--look, a smiley to make it all better.)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
. It's bad enough that Otters, Cormorants, etc. are plundering fish stocks, but to have you guys (who honestly should know better) taking fish illegally too, just takes the ****.
You're not one of those dreadful fishermen who resents sharing our (now) clean rivers with an otter are you? I'll bet you a pike will plunder more fish than they can.
Yes, they can take large fish if presented with the opportunity, but their diet mainly consists of small, 'insignificant' fish.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
... It's bad enough that Otters, Cormorants, etc. are plundering fish stocks ... )
While I understand your concern over the size of fish human laws say humans can take your comments about otters and cormorants leave me gasping. We've only recently got them and other species we humans had damn near killed off back. The fact that they are back says the environment is a little les wrecked. Humans need to learn to share. Far from being top dog we are new boy on the block on planet Earth and need to learn from everything else.

Sorry for my rant but such attitudes really get my t--s !!!

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
You're not one of those dreadful fishermen who resents sharing our (now) clean rivers with an otter are you?
On the contrary, I don't mind seeing Otters or any other predator in the river as that is a good indication that the river is healthy, for all species who inhabit it. After all, there won't predators unless there is prey.

What I wrote could have been worded better so I'll try again. Fish already have enough predators to contend without humans getting involved and illegally taking fish. Which, on top of the native predators i.e. Pike, Perch, Otters, Grebes etc. and the non native predators i.e Cormorants, Polish etc. can quickly leave an imbalance in the rivers for which eventually all species will suffer.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
On the contrary, I don't mind seeing Otters or any other predator in the river as that is a good indication that the river is healthy, for all species who inhabit it. After all, there won't predators unless there is prey.

What I wrote could have been worded better so I'll try again. Fish already have enough predators to contend without humans getting involved and illegally taking fish. Which, on top of the native predators i.e. Pike, Perch, Otters, Grebes etc. and the non native predators i.e Cormorants, Polish etc. can quickly leave an imbalance in the rivers for which eventually all species will suffer.
I just want to praise this calm response. Well done Noius :35: