Basic Bushcraft Fishing pt 1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
ah your on the fly dave! something ive only recently got into, my trout waters are too expensive so
I just kitted my self out for sea, had a few gar and mackerel on it which is a lot of fun, and a couple of
jack pike last winter, wana see if I can get a carp out on it, bet that's like being hooked up too
a steam train :)

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
havnt had one on fly gear but ive had a mullet and they say that is comparable, its a great way of fishing isn't it.
feel every lunge and head shake of that fish.

Last edited:

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
I haven't been here for a while but after reading some of the posts in this thread I felt compelled to post.

Can those of you taking fish please read the following page about what fish you are legally allowed to take.
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/119393.aspx

Those of you taking 3lb perch, really shouldn't as it will be over 20cm, thus illegal to take, and Perch of that size aren't as populous as this thread would have you believe.

I don't fish for food, and I don't have a problem with those of you that do, providing that you stick to the rules. But I'd like to think that the people on this forum will at least do some homework first as to what you can legally take, and if it looks like it is a specimen, please return it. It's bad enough that Otters, Cormorants, etc. are plundering fish stocks, but to have you guys (who honestly should know better) taking fish illegally too, just takes the ****.

Sorry for the preachy rant. :) (<--look, a smiley to make it all better.)

Reactions: Toddy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
. It's bad enough that Otters, Cormorants, etc. are plundering fish stocks, but to have you guys (who honestly should know better) taking fish illegally too, just takes the ****.

You're not one of those dreadful fishermen who resents sharing our (now) clean rivers with an otter are you? I'll bet you a pike will plunder more fish than they can.
Yes, they can take large fish if presented with the opportunity, but their diet mainly consists of small, 'insignificant' fish.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
... It's bad enough that Otters, Cormorants, etc. are plundering fish stocks ... )

While I understand your concern over the size of fish human laws say humans can take your comments about otters and cormorants leave me gasping. We've only recently got them and other species we humans had damn near killed off back. The fact that they are back says the environment is a little les wrecked. Humans need to learn to share. Far from being top dog we are new boy on the block on planet Earth and need to learn from everything else.

Sorry for my rant but such attitudes really get my t--s !!!

behind every creative woman there's usually a very talented cat ...

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
You're not one of those dreadful fishermen who resents sharing our (now) clean rivers with an otter are you?

On the contrary, I don't mind seeing Otters or any other predator in the river as that is a good indication that the river is healthy, for all species who inhabit it. After all, there won't predators unless there is prey.

What I wrote could have been worded better so I'll try again. Fish already have enough predators to contend without humans getting involved and illegally taking fish. Which, on top of the native predators i.e. Pike, Perch, Otters, Grebes etc. and the non native predators i.e Cormorants, Polish etc. can quickly leave an imbalance in the rivers for which eventually all species will suffer.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
On the contrary, I don't mind seeing Otters or any other predator in the river as that is a good indication that the river is healthy, for all species who inhabit it. After all, there won't predators unless there is prey.

What I wrote could have been worded better so I'll try again. Fish already have enough predators to contend without humans getting involved and illegally taking fish. Which, on top of the native predators i.e. Pike, Perch, Otters, Grebes etc. and the non native predators i.e Cormorants, Polish etc. can quickly leave an imbalance in the rivers for which eventually all species will suffer.

I just want to praise this calm response. Well done Noius :35:

Reactions: Toddy

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Hi De, I'll try to explain best I can mate.

In a small stream I rock hop and you some time's see the trout dart under a rock or just look for a sutible hiding place for them like the boulder my lad is dangling off in the first pic above.
When you find a likley spot put your hands under,one hand to the far left, one far right and get them as far under as you can. ( The fish will be at the very back so if you can't get that far in you'll never get em) Now slowly move your hands towards the middle. If your lucky and there is one in there, soon as you feel it you have to be fast and kind of gently jam it between your hands and the back of the rock then work your fingers under it till you have a good grip and then slowly bring it out.:cool:

Hope that make's sence, once you have got over the initial shock of a slimy fish touching your hand in a cold dark hole its plain sailing, sort of:D Anyway good luck if you try it, its good fun and take's a bit of skill rock hopping and not getting soaked:)
I usually insert my forefinger and thumb into there gills,bigtrout in a pincer closing motion there going nowhere then

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Great thread would be good to see the gutting and the cooking bit aswell, I love fish but have never actually pulled a fish out gutted it and cooked it there and then, have seen people do this on Kielder though im not sure they were allowed to do so!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Great thread though, looking forward to part 2.

Andy
Yes your allowed take trout from Kielder iff u pay to fish the lake

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
The majority of river trout fishermen are catch and release nowadays, with good reason.

Trout season for fly fishing is April through Sept. I may take a couple out of the rivers, during the season, but personally I think you should have at least enough experience to be able to tell the difference between a wildie and stockie, before you begin taking out brownies.

Rainbows in a lake are a different matter.
Catching fish to not eat them is cruel in my eyes iff u catch it eat it

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The old OP on fishing was wonderful to read.

If I can clean perch (Perca flavescens) boneless, so can you.

Some other items I need as essential kit for fishing:

1. A dedicated fish cleaning knife. The standard seems to be fixed 6" thin flexible blades. Learn to keep it razor sharp. Slide that thing along the spine is half the work.

2. Needle-nose pliers. Don't need to be big or expensive. Needed for pulling bones. Especially the floating 'Y' bones in a pike (Esox lucius).

3. If you feel clumsy and inept, buy yourself a 3-finger stainless steel mesh butcher's glove. Common in the fish packing business, too. Safety, you get a confident grip and simple to wash out.

I landed(!) a summer job at Uni with the Fisheries Research Board of Canada. It was a tag-and-release population study in a lake. I was hired as a professional fisher. Paid very well whether I caught fish or not. Averaged 6,000 per month did not disappoint the boss scientist.

Fish Life: If you start with 1,000 newly hatched fish, keep track of every one of them as they live and die under ideal circumstances. What you will see is that 50% of the population dies within 15% of the life spans of the oldest fish. They exhibit what is called low survivorship/high mortality. It makes no difference what their environmental factor are. This is life.
Other animals have consistent mortality during the known course of life expectancy (moose, robins). Others, like humans, have low mortality/high survivorship over 80% of the life span.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Okay so you want to catch fish but don't know how? Read on for a basic introduction and demystification of the art of freshwater fishing.

Tools.

In the UK it is illegal to fish on freshwater without a rod. So you will need a rod and reel.

Any cheap spinning rod will do to start with but a telscopic rod will be easier to transport and look after than a rod that you may have to carry in 2 or so separate sections. The exception to this is a travel rod which may come in as many as 5 or 6 sections and be very small to carry. Expect to pay around £10-20 on a rod. What you are after is a trout rod, so you don't need the heavy weight ones, unless you are of course after salmon or pike.

You will also need a spinning reel. If you intend to fish in the sea, you will need to buy a sea fishing reel which is salt corrosian resistant but these tend to be much bulkier than freshwater reels. A reel can cost as little as £7 but like anything in life you generally get what you pay for. It is worth buying a good quality reel as this is the tool that will be doing the most work and you want it to be tough and reliable.

Putting all that asside if you only intend to do one or two trips a year, a telescopic rod and reel combo out of Liddles for a tenner will get you by (just), or you can buy a combo kit for around £20 in a plastic travel case which will be n aweful lot better.

This is my combo set up.
The rod is just a cheap £10 but the reel is very good quality but expensive :eek:
fishingpicsmay09015.jpg

The flask is optional :lmao:

Next you will need swivels clips and lures. Swivel clips are just like tiny carabinas that have a rotating clip and eye. One gets tied to the end of your line for the easy attachment and removal of lures and these help prevent your line twisting and getting into fankles. I keep my lures and swivels in a small box that opens out into compartments. That way I can carry the lures without fear of them getting caught in me, my dog or anything else.

fishingpicsmay09018.jpg

Lures come in wide variety of different types and can be expensive. Essentially they can be mimics of natural bait like small fish or they can spin and tumble in the water and act on the aggressive nature of predatory fish. If it's shiny and swims past a hungry fish, the fish may just grab it and they often do. Spinners, spoons and toby's act in this way to some extent. They may be shaped like the end of a tea spoon or a small twisted length of flat metal and they come in a huge variety of colours and weights. Most have an eye on one end to attach to the swivel clip and on the other a treble hook.

fishingpicsmay09016.jpg

Now we can go fishing in some cool places...:)
may09046.jpg

Or just our local hill Lochs
fishingpicsmay09013.jpg

Either way where's there's water there's usually fish!

Ask someone to show you how to set up your rod and reel if you haven't worked it out. It's easy. All you do is take the line from the reel and place it on one side or the other of the bail arm ( the metal hoop over the reel), you'll know it's on the right side by reeling in some line, if it reels in then it's on the right side, if it doesn't put it on the other side of the wire clip.

Thread the line through the eyes of your rod and then attach a swivel clip to the end of your line using a fishermans knot. I'm assuming as this isa bushy site that you know your knots:rolleyes: :lmao:

Now choose your lure and clip it on to the line and start casting out your lure and slowly retrieving it. Most people retrieve their lures too quickly so slow down and aim to cover as much water as possible; you need to search out the fish and keep moving while covering as much of the water as possible. Look for fishy areas, where there's weed, where you see fish rising, where small burns run into Lochs etc. Sooner or later you'll get a hit and you can start winding your fish in. Be prepared to catch a lot of small trout and perch as well as other course fish depending on where you are. If there are pike in the water you will need a length of wire on the end of your line called a trace incase you catch one;this prevents the pike from biting through the line. And be prepared to lose spinners, it's inevitable to a degree. Pound shops sell spinners in packets and these work just as well as the mor eexpensive ones in fishing shops, the next picture proves that! :lmao:

In this case a small trout (I put all my small trout back and only keep the bigger ones for food)

April09005.jpg

Or a perch ( they are edible too)

fishingpicsmay09002.jpg

More to follow...

Enjoy

WS
Fishing is easy Iv learned over the years knowing the locations off fish thru seasons is key wich takes years to learn good catch btw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE