barefoot boots/shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I use cheap shoes ment for divers when I want the barefoot experience in areas I don't want to walk truly barefoot.
They might not last forever, but they are often so cheap that I can just get new ones when they are worn out.
I got the idea from a friend of mine and I love them :)

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I'm a big fan of going proper barefoot, even when running on the moors. However, once the weather turns, and I need both a bit of insulation and grip, it'll be back into my trusty vivobarefoots! I have two pairs, one for running (neo trails) and one for walking (either just with the dogs, or all dayers) which are the off-road mids. I love 'em!
You can pick them up for about fifty quid or less.
The thing I particularly like about them is the width in the toe box, so your feet can splay out as they should. A lot of shoes, even those with no appreciable lift at the heel, don't really do this but grip your foot quite snugly.
I'd recommend vivo's, for what it's worth...
The other thing you could try is just cheap flip flops, carry them and just chuck them on when you get to stony bits which may hurt your feet.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The other thing you could try is just cheap flip flops, carry them and just chuck them on when you get to stony bits which may hurt your feet.

I was told by an expert that flip flops are not good for your feet as the toes clench around the strap between first and second toes and so are not relaxed and splayed as they should be.

Last edited:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Try huaraches instead, they are basically like flip flips but have a back strap too. You can order a kit from this company and then make them yourself to fit your feet, I got some two years ago and they are still going strong, unlike flip flops which I find last a short while and then disintegrate. https://www.lunasandals.com/products/5-diy-sandal-making-kit

You could look like Russell Crowe in no time ;)
na7yre6y.jpg

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
If you want to dip the proverbial toe in to start without massive expense then take a look at Sketchers Go Bionic shoes. They are a bright but have a zero heel drop which is one of the primary things about barefoot. Plus sports direct do them for £20 a pair.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I also use the Vivobarefoot Ra work shoes and have a set of Sketchers GoRuns, both are excellent. I've also got a pair of Vivobarefoot trail shoes but I'm having to build up slowly to running any distance, did 10 km other day and pulled something in my foot, no cushioning at all. The sketchers are a good stating point.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was told by an expert that flip flops are not good for your feet as the toes clench around the strap between first and second toes and so are not relaxed and splayed as they should be.

That sounds right to me. I used to hike barefoot, then did a bit of road running barefoot (a couple of half marathons and associated training). The only time I had a problem was doing the Great North Run; the discarded bottletops were painful to run on.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
another vote for Vivobarefoot. I ran for a couple of weeks last year in old school plimsolls to try it out, but they were way too narrow. My first pair of vivo neo's are coming to the end of their running life after about 800km - a lot more than I've ever had from Inov8 fell shoes.

A uk alternative to lunasandals would be these:

http://www.xeroshoes.co.uk/

I wear a pair of these most of the time at the moment - walked about ten miles in them over the weekend, out in the woods shooting and bilberry picking. I have another pair I made out of tractor inner tube and paracord (thinner and softer, not so hard wearing but a lot more 'barefoot'. I'll post pics if you're interested.

Also, what Buckshot said. I've taken a year going from heel striking to toe striking in barefoot shoes when running. I know you don't run, but you still need to transition gradually. To start with your calves will ache like hell.

BTW, I found this article about barefoot running in the highlands the other day - after all the fuss about the Tarahumara, we should have been looking closer to home:

http://ceathairne.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/long-distance-running-among-highlanders.html

leon-1

I have a pair of VivoBarefoot Off Road, I also have a pair of the VivoBarefoot synth hiker M's. Of the two I prefer the Synth Hiker, they appear to be more robust than the off roads, but they are quite warm in this weather.

I can swap between normal footware and barefoot style with ease, I spend most of my time in moccasins and have done for the last 8 years at least so going to VivoBarefoot wasn't much of a problem. Generally they are comfy and do what I require, but as with all barefoot style shoes you are a lot more carefull of your foot placement. What I would say is that I don't think that I use my toes to grip as much as I do when wearing soft soled / woodland moccasins.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I started minimalist running/hiking 7-8 months ago and never looked back. I started very slow and gradual now I can do 6 miles (10k) with a 7kg rucksack, with just sore calves at the end of it!

My balance (foot strength) has increased dramatically as have the size of my calves.

I prefer the merrell minimalist shoes because of the wide toe box. I have Merrell road and trail gloves, and also New Balance Mt10 and MT00, both of which are not at as good as the merrell's simply due to the toe box being too narrow on them.

Will look in to the vivo barefoot shoes.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
Pics would be good mr hare. (How the heck are you btw)

V well indeed mate, apart from a slight ankle sprain that's slowing me down (due to overtraining, not barefooting ;-))

Barefoot around the woods can be risky - I got a 10mm thorn stuck in my foot for a week at one point. I thought the little black mark in the hole was clotted blood - turned out to be the end of the thorn. Ouchy.

Given that you do a fair amount of leatherwork, if you've got some thick leather kicking about (2mm will do it, 3 or 4mm better) or some thick rubber, huaraches are going to be the easiest and cheapest way to make a start walking 'near barefoot'. I cut a couple of patches from an old tractor tube we had kicking around at work. Draw round your foot with about 10mm to spare, cut round so it looks reasonably smooth, and then lace with thong or paracord like this:

http://www.xeroshoes.co.uk/tying

I'll upload some pics when I get home.

WRT the vivo boots, one reviewer wasn't particularly impressed:

http://sectionhiker.com/vivobarefoot-minimalist-barefoot-hiking-boots/

although others have been much more so.

http://birthdayshoes.com/vivobarefoot-shoes-review-off-road-hi-boot

I'm not quite sure I see the point of ankle boots if you're going minimal though. Over the winter I wear waterproof socks under running shoes and my feet are as warm as they'd be in 3 season boots.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Have you read Born to Run? :cool:

Thanks for the XeroShoes UK link MrHare. Didn't fancy getting them from the US.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
another vote for Vivobarefoot. I ran for a couple of weeks last year in old school plimsolls to try it out, but they were way too narrow. My first pair of vivo neo's are coming to the end of their running life after about 800km - a lot more than I've ever had from Inov8 fell shoes.

A uk alternative to lunasandals would be these:

http://www.xeroshoes.co.uk/

I wear a pair of these most of the time at the moment - walked about ten miles in them over the weekend, out in the woods shooting and bilberry picking. I have another pair I made out of tractor inner tube and paracord (thinner and softer, not so hard wearing but a lot more 'barefoot'. I'll post pics if you're interested.

Also, what Buckshot said. I've taken a year going from heel striking to toe striking in barefoot shoes when running. I know you don't run, but you still need to transition gradually. To start with your calves will ache like hell.

BTW, I found this article about barefoot running in the highlands the other day - after all the fuss about the Tarahumara, we should have been looking closer to home:

http://ceathairne.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/long-distance-running-among-highlanders.html

GreAt links there and another barefoot alternative! Thanks

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
Neanderthal/TreadLightly: my pleasure, glad you liked the links.

As promised, photos:

First, the paid for xeroshoes:

Photo-0246.jpg

Photo-0248.jpg

Photo-0250.jpg

and now the quick and dirty inner tube variant:

Photo-0251.jpg

Photo-0252.jpg

Photo-0253.jpg

Funnily enough you can see a pair of vivobarefoot neo trails in the left of the last couple of pics.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I started minimalist running/hiking 7-8 months ago and never looked back. I started very slow and gradual now I can do 6 miles (10k) with a 7kg rucksack, with just sore calves at the end of it!

My balance (foot strength) has increased dramatically as have the size of my calves.

I started mid-foot running in lower heel drop shoes in January. I initially had a lot of calf stiffness and I did presumably go at it too hard (although I tried not to) because I've been suffering with various calf problems (strains and possibly a tear) since about April. I wear low to zero heel drop footwear most of the time and I'm currently trying to loosen and strengthen my calves in preparation for returning to running... When I do I'll be looking for some low-heeled off-road shoes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE