banjo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
This year is my 20th year playing the guitar. Played the Mandalin a little and I have played 6 string Banjo (tuned like a guitar, so it's cheating really :D ).

I'd play the Banjo if I could afford one, but with a reasonable collection of Guitars, I really can't justify it at the moment.

Besides, I'd have to buy the Fishing Bow to go with it....

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
I've been playing guitar for ten years, and am trying to teach myself mandolin at the moment. I'd love to give the banjo a go though! :D

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Wotcher, Iso.

At least the banjo is portable

Take it that you do know the chestnut about " imps , pimps and banjo-players"

Sorry, but I couldnt resist that one.

Thing is, man, that it,s music- making and , if anyone can,t aspire to that, then their very soul has never been awakened . IMHO , music -making, is the very foremost means of expression.

Used to get many sour expressions, travelling through airports with my keyboard.

"Why you bring this?"

"Lighter than my piano"

Thought I was stupid.

Who,s to say they weren,t right?

Seagull

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Seagull said:
Thing is, man, that it,s music- making and , if anyone can,t aspire to that, then their very soul has never been awakened . IMHO , music -making, is the very foremost means of expression.

Gotta agree with that statement.

It's certainly one of the most universally understood. I'm mainly a Blues/Rock guitarist, but I've had the wonderful opportunity to play my instrument alongside carribean steel drum players, japanese koto players and indian sitar players (amongst others).

We couldn't communicate very well vocally, but we knew what each other was 'saying' through their instrument.

There isn't many art forms where thats the case!

Matt.

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
Err - guilty

I play the 5 string and mainly Bluegrass for the last couple of years (also paddle a Canoe so waiting for the comments!) My friends are always amused by my choice of instrument as it is not fashionable/sexy, but when I start playing I notice a lot of foot tapping from even the most hard core raver or rock musos.

Elliott

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Ell
its in us all, mate.

Bugger, " unfashionable"

We are made this way, and we just gotta let go,
and feel it.

IMHO , To deny it, is to deny a most basic part of self.,

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig thing.

Seagull

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
Elliott said:
My friends are always amused by my choice of instrument as it is not fashionable/sexy, but when I start playing I notice a lot of foot tapping from even the most hard core raver or rock musos.

Given a choice, i'll listen to Gun's N Roses, Led Zep, Clapton, Marilyn Manson, System of a Down. I'll play the same.

Take me to a jam session and I'll tap my feet or share the stage with anyone, regardless of whether it's 30's blues or jazz, 70's funk, 90's britpop or whatever.

I couldn't care less what you want to call your style, or whether it's currently in vogue theres only one thing that matters to me

That its MUSIC.

And with Bands like Hatseed Dixie around, Its only a matter of time before mainstream music once again rediscovers the distinctive sound of the 5-string, Banjo.

Matt.

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
khimbar said:
Mandolin and guitar. Never tried a banjo. Anyone know how they're tuned?

4 string banjo - tuned in 5ths
5 string banjo strange tuning (high g - d - g - b - d)

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
KIMBOKO said:
Would you count a Uke as a Banjo?.

Nah sorry KIMBOKO, a Uke is totally different tuning 'd g b e', and traditional Ukes are made from wood, so they are very different.

Still a great instrument though.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
Whats the difference between a banjo and a parrot?

One is loud,noisy and obnoxious,the other is a bird.

Whats the difference between a Harley Davidson and a banjo?

You can tune a Harley Davidson.

Just joking. I love Flatt and Sruggs.

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
ronsos said:
Whats the difference between a banjo and a parrot?

One is loud,noisy and obnoxious,the other is a bird.

Whats the difference between a Harley Davidson and a banjo?

You can tune a Harley Davidson.

Just joking. I love Flatt and Sruggs.

Billy Connolly once said "a phrase you never hear is 'that's the banjo players porche'"

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Did you know that the comedian Steve Martin is an accomplished banjo player? He plays with banjo legend Earl Scruggs on Foggy Mountain Breakdown (CD Earl Scruggs and Friends). Billy Connoly of course is another banjo playing comedian.

Banjo music is evolving there are quite a few new styles of banjo playing coming from the likes of Bela Flack, The Wayfaring Strangers and others.

I still like the old clawhammer style myself but it's nice to hear new and innovative sounds coming from skillful musicians who can really play.

To add to the list here's another bad banjo player joke :)
How can you tell if there's a banjo player at your door?
They can't find the key, the knocking speeds up, and they don't know when to come in.

Hey they get worse :D
Why do fiddlers pick on banjo players?
Because they can't pick on their fiddles.

Okay, I'll leave quickly :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE