BA Cold weather gortex boot.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

Just managed to find my self a pair of new Gortex cold weather boots. My old pair died on me through age and through a leather treatment that just made things worse. I have since owned two pairs of boots and didn't get on with either of them. The last pair was a vibram soled karrimor, usless. Made up to get another pair of these.
Anyway, my question was any idea who makes these?

NEW-GORETEX-PRO-BOOTS.jpg

Attachments

• NEW-GORETEX-PRO-BOOTS.jpg
    NEW-GORETEX-PRO-BOOTS.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 25

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Difficult question to answer. Issued military gear is usually made by unknown manufacturers, having offered the lowest bid, under contract with the MOD.

The very latest MOD contract for the 5 different boots required for the MTP issue includes Magnum (does anyone else remember when these launched- they were a budget boot!) and...Altberg! Lowa did NOT secure a contract, but they are brand names and I'd take a Altberg over a lowa any day of the week.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Those BA cold weather boots actually look very well made. They are however very narrow, or at least I found them so, even in the larger size.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Those BA cold weather boots actually look very well made. They are however very narrow, or at least I found them so, even in the larger size.

I have pretty broad feet and the M fits well. The only downside I have found is their weight but being a full boot and bullet proof I have no problem with the extra weight.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The latest issue stuff is going to have the manufacturers labels left on, to promote confidence in the gear. The boots are really good now. I remember when the MOD took over manufacture of the pro boot, the quality fell right down.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
All i have is
S006255
8430:99 701 6253
10M
DC46ESL/1001
10 2009

I get the date and size, possibly s/n but the rest no idea.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
All i have is
S006255
8430:99 701 6253
10M
DC46ESL/1001
10 2009

I get the date and size, possibly s/n but the rest no idea.

One of them is possibly a contract number? DC=Defence Contract? Just a thought.

Last edited:

iampmat

Sep 13, 2012
nottingham
Hi all,

I live near Chilwell Barracks in Nottingham so soldier are everywhere (especially in tesco) I spoke with a soldier wearing those and he couldn't recommend them enough. he had them for 5 years and been to iraq and afghanistan and he said are comfy, durable, warm and dry. He is marching and walking everyday all day with them and planning to get another pair when those will die. He doesn't have much experience with other expensive brands (lowa or meindl) but the review itself that he gave sounds quite enough for me. Got a pair myself yesterday and waiting to receive them and let you know.

Cheers

P.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi all,

I live near Chilwell Barracks in Nottingham so soldier are everywhere (especially in tesco) I spoke with a soldier wearing those and he couldn't recommend them enough. he had them for 5 years and been to iraq and afghanistan and he said are comfy, durable, warm and dry. He is marching and walking everyday all day with them and planning to get another pair when those will die. He doesn't have much experience with other expensive brands (lowa or meindl) but the review itself that he gave sounds quite enough for me. Got a pair myself yesterday and waiting to receive them and let you know.

Cheers

P.

Cheers for that. Like I say my second pair, just strange there isnt a lot of info about regarding them. Most likely due to the fact they don't seem to come up very often.

iampmat

Sep 13, 2012
nottingham
couldn't wait weeks to start to review this boots...
received this and immediately wore then to go to work (despite it doesn't require at all boots) and they are very comfy despite I see and feel that the thick full grain leather has to be broken in. I got size 8 and perhaps 7.5 might have been just bit better but I have quite wide foot and the next size is only 7 and I wouldn't want too tight boots. Some observations:

-insole is soft and comfy however to make the boot a bit more locked on the foot I added a pure wool insole
-sole feel quite sturdy but enough to bend the toes when you walk and it's quite thick I don't feel the group irregularities
- laces are very strong (I got already a blister on a finger in pulling the laces to tighten)
- not having fast lacing hooks it can be a bit tricky to tighten

regarding last point someone can give tips on how to tight laces? I thought at the age of 33 I master the art of locking the laces but how little I knew...eheheh... I did a surgeon knot at the ankle (pic attached here http://imgur.com/a/tN7SC) and then I was wondering if there is any difference between passing the lace on top or on the bottom of the eyelet.

If any question please ask and I will try to answer and complete this review.

Cheers

P.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yeah the lack of lacing hooks is a bit of a pain but to be honest that is what failed on my last boots.
I will be replacing the laces for paracord. Mainly just to reduce the stretch in the current laces as the stretch seems to loosen the boot somehow.
I will also be adding insoles when I get five minutes off work to buy a pair!

Last edited:

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I have these boots and they are fantastic, yes heavy but water proof right up to the top when walking through puddles on trails. I became over confident and nearly stepped in some deep water lol. Cost you about £80 posted on eBay but they are the best boots I have ever brought. I was lucky and got mine in my size (11W) for £40 listed as worn once and they quite obviously were. Talk about a stroke of luck to find them in my size! If you keep your eyes peeled you can get them for £50-60 sometimes but they really are worth every penny but are a bit much on warm days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE