Awl for Leatherman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Has anyone seen an awl for any of the replaceable-bit Leathermans (Leathermen) ?
Or if not an awl, a tool for getting stones out of horses' hooves (that's what the pointy one with the hole is for, isn't it) ?

leon-1

Or if not an awl, a tool for getting stones out of horses' hooves (that's what the pointy one with the hole is for, isn't it) ?

If you mean the one on the back of a SAK, I think that's a reamer.

Try searching the leatherman site, but as far as I know they don't make one, in the UK Philip Morris claims to keep the whole range, but there are other Authorised dealers to look at. Hope this helps,

Leon:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If its a standard socket type in sure you could find a very small torque bit or a small allen filed down might do it, i bet you could find a cheap jobby at a pound stretcher kind of shop :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
An awl is one of the really useful bits of kit that Leatherman do not make as part of the 'bit kit'. Damned shame that as I'm always using the one on my SAK.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Why do they give you thirty-seven flat-head screwdrivers but no awl ? I'm fortunate that the outdoors near me still has more trees than washing-machines.
I usually have to resort to using one of the smaller bits, but it looks as if I might have to sacrifice one of the supplied fitting to DIY.

leon-1

Why do they give you thirty-seven flat-head screwdrivers but no awl ? I'm fortunate that the outdoors near me still has more trees than washing-machines.
I usually have to resort to using one of the smaller bits, but it looks as if I might have to sacrifice one of the supplied fitting to DIY.

Chance, the bits that you get with the standard toolkit are the same as the ones you can get for any drill, have a look around any of your local DIY stores to see if they have anything that will fit the bill (possibly a drill bit itself).

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
The interface on the more recent Leathermans is rectangular, not hex; but I'll be keeping an eye out.
Thanks for everyone's interest.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Its not quite on thread but it is Leatherman related, so here goes anyway..............

A mate was at the IWA 2006 (Huge trade fair for guns, hunting etc in Germany) when he happened across the Leatherman rep for Germany stood standing on his stand. Now said mate - a German - starts on at the rep about how useful Leathermans are but something on his is knacked with [ab]use and takes it off his belt to show rep.

The rep, takes the tool, drops it in a box, picks up a new one from the display hands it to my mate and say's, "A lifetime guarantee is a lifetime guarantee, please, with our compliments". Now said mate was super impressed, being an underpaid German plod, and has told everyone...........how's that for positive PR.......none of yer' ah well, it must have been made on Friday so you'll have to live with it rubbish.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham

You can buy(at least you could on ebay - worth looking big price differences) the extra kit for the new leatherman so could modify. People have made bits by grinding or sanding a standard bit down, so you could look at that.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Prompted by having to replace a Charge, I have finally shed-bodged one: what I choose to term an awl, rather than a smooth-shanked marlin spike or a blunt-tipped reamer.

DSCF3630.JPG

Leatherman Awl Tutorial

1. Select a spare or unused Leatherman, or equivalent, driver.
(I chose to use the square drive tip marked R2)

2. Using metal-working tools, remove from the chosen driver all the material that is not awl-shaped.
(I chose a Dremel, with some final finishing using the Charge's diamond file)

3. That's it.
(I used a permanent marker to reduce glare for the photo; until then, cooking oil seemed to be coating enough)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE