Avtur as stove fuel???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....US English has involved much more slowly than UK English and a lot of 'Americanisms' are in fact 'Old Englishisms'. The classic example is 'Vermin' and 'Varmint' - Shakespeare would have said 'Varmint' and evidence suggests that some Elizabethan English would have had a distinctly mid Atlantic drawl......

Very true in the mid Atlantic region you referenced. In other parts of the country though, Americanisms evolved (and are still evolving) from languages other than English. Remember, when we first adpted the constitution in 1787, they almost made German the official language as there werte more German speaking colonists than English speaking ones. Then over the followig 60 years or so they added huge regions of Spanish speaking and French speaking peoples.

After that, the military began to bring back phrases from around the world (much the same way the British military did there)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thank you, but I'm used to the rants of some Americans who all but 'run' what was my 'internet home' these days so perhaps my mind skipped your spelling ;) Thankfully I've several American friends who are indeed sensible folk and not ruled by some abstract view of the Bible or the claimed and almost innate right to bear arms :)

Ironic we're on the same side in this one isn't it. But when did I claim the right to bear arms is "almost" inate? :)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ironic we're on the same side in this one isn't it. But when did I claim the right to bear arms is "almost" inate? :)

Lets not see another thread closed through to it being taken off track santaman so I'll not reply as such to your bait on this one. Why don't you open up your own thread on the right to bear arms and leave this one alone.

End of.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A bit OT, but 'paraffin' is 'kerosene' in Australia.

I don't think anyone in Australia would have a clue what you were talking about if you asked for paraffin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE