Avtur as stove fuel???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Avutur will work fine in the Omnifuel. Why are people using the word kerosene instead of paraffin these days? We're in the UK not the USA.

Certainly for my part and I suspect for Lannyman, the term Kero has been used by the Army for a LONG time Ric- probably longer than you are old. I think it's just that we are current Ric ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Kero(sene) in the army but in civvie street its paraffin, your not in the army now so you need to get 'current' lol Stop these insipid Americanisms creeping into the English language.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Rik, we may not be in the USA, but we are in the EU. If you ask for Parafin in most of Europe, what you will get is Petrol (gasoline), which could be a bit dangerous in a lamp or stove. I've seen it happen, it's quite spectacular. The term Kerosene is the UN Standard term for this type of fuel to avoid that kind of error. In the UK, the term parafin usually means the stuff you put in primus stoves and tilley lamps,and kerosene is aviation fuel.

As an afterthought, be careful using jet aviation fuel, some fuels are wide-cut gasoline, not kerosene.

Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik, we may not be in the USA, but we are in the EU. If you ask for Parafin in most of Europe, what you will get is Petrol (gasoline), which could be a bit dangerous in a lamp or stove. I've seen it happen, it's quite spectacular. The term Kerosene is the UN Standard term for this type of fuel to avoid that kind of error. In the UK, the term parafin usually means the stuff you put in primus stoves and tilley lamps,and kerosene is aviation fuel.

As an afterthought, be careful using jet aviation fuel, some fuels are wide-cut gasoline, not kerosene.

Alan

Alan, as a stove collector of some years standing I'm well aware of the various names different fuels go buy, this knowledge has helped my ebay searches greatly in the past. However we are in the UK so we should use the word paraffin. Most folk don't use aviation fuel for stoves so lets just stick with paraffin.

This list may be of some use for you and others
http://fuel.papo-art.com/

I would also guess anyone travelling abroad would take the time to find out the local term for their fuel of choice.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Rik, we may not be in the USA, but we are in the EU. If you ask for Parafin in most of Europe, what you will get is Petrol (gasoline....

So that's still a third meaning for "paraffin." Over here if you ask for paraffin, you'll get a block of wax.

But I'm with Rik on this one, better to preserve your own culture and language.

I have not heard of AVTUR for ages. Recalling from memory AVTUR was originally 100% Kerosene before being replaced with a blend of Kerosene and naphtha or Kerosene and gasoline. Other names for AVTUR is JP1. Kerosene-type fuels include Jet A, Jet A-1, JP-5 and JP-8 while Naphtha-type jet fuels include Jet B and JP-4.

Not sure/cannot remember the name/designation/code for modern standard civilian jet turbine fuel. Modern military jet turbine fuel is Kerosene based JP8 NATO F-34. Both can contain many additives, dewatering, anti-microbial, anti-icing FSII (very nasty stuff) plus various detergent and lubricating agents. This fuel can react with certain metals and coatings but should not be an issue with a stove. On a fuel scale/comparison it is mid way between diesel and paraffin.

What he said.

I tried some F-34 in a zippo once as an experiment...rubbish! I had to flush it through umpteen times with lighter fluid to get it working again!

A quick trip to pedants corners....Be careful about 'Americanisms' creeping into English. US English has evolved much more slowly than UK English and a lot of 'Americanisms' are in fact 'Old Englishisms'. The classic example is 'Vermin' and 'Varmint' - Shakespeare would have said 'Varmint' and evidence suggests that some Elizabethan English would have had a distinctly mid Atlantic drawl. Although I accept that this probably doesn't really apply to, more recent, petro-chemical terms.

That aside I think the two are pretty interchangeable and I spent 26 years calling it 'kero' when it was heating my tent and 'Avtur' or F34 when I needed to fill up.

One small, perhaps relevant point. In all my years of service, I never heard of anyone using Avtur to fill up their kero heater. Save for my disastrous experiment with the zippo - it was only used to power the AViation gas TURbine engines of our helicopters. And, of course the ground crewman who tried to put kero in your helicopter would be risking an indeterminate loss of liberty!

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ok gents, i give you that it may be called paraffin here, but it said kero and not kerosene but kero on the tin.....so kero it is...;)

so after finding out the fuel will be just the same as normal kero or paraffin or gasoline or what ever you want to call it, what about acetone as a fuel or isopropyle alcohol????

many thanks.

love the banter by the way.....:lmao:

chris.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What is the best storage bottle for him, plastic or aluminum?

Paraffin is quite forgiving and can be stored in a variety of containers, I use Trangia fuel bottles of all my fuels when camping as they handle the full range well without degrading and causing problems. Paraffin in standard bottles like SIGG and even the perhaps cheaper bottles found in poundland should be fine for Paraffin. That said, paraffin in the plastic bottles they come in work just as well. I've a lot of one litre bottles of Wilkinson and B&M BBQ lighter fluid (Paraffin) which comes in standard PET bottles and has stored well for a few years now.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
ok gents, i give you that it may be called paraffin here, but it said kero and not kerosene but kero on the tin.....so kero it is...;)

so after finding out the fuel will be just the same as normal kero or paraffin or gasoline or what ever you want to call it, what about acetone as a fuel or isopropyle alcohol????

many thanks.

love the banter by the way.....:lmao:

chris.

I'd steer clear of Acetone and alcohol is...alcohol, a different fuel altogether. Run your Jet fuel in the Omnifuel and you'll be OK.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Putting parafin in a zippo was never going to have worked very well,

petrol works ok but runs out faster, probably evaporates faster than the actual fluid your supposed to use.... diesel is good for getting bbqs going though and kero/paraffin, mind you thats for when you have no charcoal and you use pallet wood.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Paraffin is quite forgiving and can be stored in a variety of containers, I use Trangia fuel bottles of all my fuels when camping ...

I tried to amuse and/or wind you up with my spelling of aluminium/aluminum but you've only gone and given a perfect sensible answer! :)

Bugger! :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I tried to amuse and/or wind you up with my spelling of aluminium/aluminum but you've only gone and given a perfect sensible answer! :)

Bugger! :)

Thank you, but I'm used to the rants of some Americans who all but 'run' what was my 'internet home' these days so perhaps my mind skipped your spelling ;) Thankfully I've several American friends who are indeed sensible folk and not ruled by some abstract view of the Bible or the claimed and almost innate right to bear arms :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE