Avtur as stove fuel???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
so gents, as above, has any one ever used Avtur as a stove fuel????

its used as aircraft fuel and is a refined kero.

your thoughts would be great...

many thanks.

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I have a Primus omnifuel (spelling) which works ok on normal kero so this should be better, i hope, really dont want to be buying coleman fuel at the price of that stuff... i would just use petrol but its the stink i dont like, diesel kero, no probs, but petrol, cant stand the smell...

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
Avtur works well as a kero substitute in vapour lux lanterns and kero powered space heaters? You may notice a strange eye watering vapour at some level. I was told this was the antifreeze compononent in the a avtur burning off. Even more noticeable if you are around the exhaust of a running turbine engine.
but readily available in the military. Aircraft refuellers won't use part drums, something about condensation in the fuel.
Crowe

I have not heard of AVTUR for ages. Recalling from memory AVTUR was originally 100% Kerosene before being replaced with a blend of Kerosene and naphtha or Kerosene and gasoline. Other names for AVTUR is JP1. Kerosene-type fuels include Jet A, Jet A-1, JP-5 and JP-8 while Naphtha-type jet fuels include Jet B and JP-4.

Not sure/cannot remember the name/designation/code for modern standard civilian jet turbine fuel. Modern military jet turbine fuel is Kerosene based JP8 NATO F-34. Both can contain many additives, dewatering, anti-microbial, anti-icing FSII (very nasty stuff) plus various detergent and lubricating agents. This fuel can react with certain metals and coatings but should not be an issue with a stove. On a fuel scale/comparison it is mid way between diesel and paraffin.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
From the data sheet
Synonyms
:
Aviation Turbine Fuel A
Kerosene Turbine Fuel
Kerosene
Jet A-1 Fuel
Jet A Fuel
Molecular formula
:
UVCB
Component CAS-No.
Kerosene C9-C16 Weight 100%
Naphthalene 91-20-3 0 - 3%

should be fine!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I used to use AVTUR in an old brass primus, it worked fine except that the flame was a noticeable green colour to it, caused by the FSII content.

You should have no actual running issues.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've used Avtur in a coleman multi-fuel with no problems.
It was handy, I'd just drain some from a wing tank when we needed a brew :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Jet A is the USA version. Jet A-1 is the rest of the world

Possibly. Seems as though if that's true, they have to be interchangable though. A US jet refuels wherever it lands in the world and jets from wherever in the world will refuel with US fuel when they land here. That's the nature of jet travel.

From Wiki:

"The primary difference is the lower freezing point of A-1
-Jet A's is −40 °C (−40 °F)
-Jet A-1's is −47 °C (−53 °F)

The other difference is the mandatory addition of an anti-static additive to Jet A-1.

As with Jet A-1, Jet A can be identified in trucks and storage facilities by the UN number 1863 Hazardous Material placards.[5] Jet A trucks, storage tanks, and plumbing that carry Jet A are marked with a black sticker with "Jet A" in white printed on it, adjacent to another black stripe.

The annual US usage of jet fuel was 20.2 billion US gallons (7.6×1010 L) in 2009"

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
good news gents, just found some thinners AKA Napther in the shed, burns bloomin clean, no smell, winner all round....:)

just need to find a cheep alternative for when i run out...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Avutur will work fine in the Omnifuel. Why are people using the word kerosene instead of paraffin these days? We're in the UK not the USA.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE