Avoiding shellfish poisoning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
As we all know, the coastal environment provides plenty of easily available protein in the form of shellfish. However, changes in agriculture since the times of our neolithic forefathers now mean that often shellfish gathered around the UK can be quite poisonous due to algal blooms.

I've often been tempted to gather some shellfish (even though I don't really like seafood much), but shied away because of this. Anybody got any good tips for what's safe to gather and where?

Also, I'm sure that some agency must provide up-to-date information on which areas are considered safe and which aren't, but I've never managed to find it. Anybody got links? Scotland is of particular interest to me, but I'm sure information for the rest of the UK would be good for others.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Pappa said:
Isn't it basically safe to gather shellfish anytime outside the summer months?

I think that's the only time the "red mist" is about.

Pappa

I'm not sure about that - I think filter feeders such as mussels can accumulate toxins over time. Plus there are several different forms of shellfish poisoning caused by different organisms.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
If you do happen to get a dodgy tummy from shellfish something I read the other day may be of interest.

"It is not exactly a common culinary combination but scinetists believe mixing oregano and cranberries makes a great remedy for seafood poisoning. Scientists found that a 50:50 mixture os the two was very effective at killing a seafood dwelling bacerium that can cause stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea. The two plants have anti-microbal qualities but can be more effective together because they attack different parts of the bacterium cell, a report in the journal New Scientist reveals. A dash of lactic acid makes the concoction even more effective, apparently"

moduser

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
I remember on one of the programmes Raymondo recommended limpets over mussels as they don't feed through filtration and are less likely to be problematic. Mind you didn't stop me collecting and eating at Mossyard in September...mmm...mussels.

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall recommends the next three months as the best 'season' in the River Cottage Year off the top of my head (I'm at work).

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Aren't limpets supposed to be a better bet than the filter feeders like mussels, as they're grazers. Not tried them myself yet though.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Also, I'm sure that some agency must provide up-to-date information on which areas are considered safe and which aren't, but I've never managed to find it.
ummm... not really upto date.... they only check water quality once or twice a year. You best bet is talk to the locals, especialy fishermen ..... they tend to know about the best places to forage and when.

Ed

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I remember seeing that on the RAF survival episode of Extreme Survival.

I'd still like to know more about shellfish poisoning though - there's gotta be a reason why limpets aren't regarded as good food. OK bait though... ;)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ed said:
ummm... not really upto date.... they only check water quality once or twice a year. You best bet is talk to the locals, especialy fishermen ..... they tend to know about the best places to forage and when.

Ed

Info that's six or twelve months out of date is still better than no info at all. Asking the locals is a good idea though. :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
My mum's family are fisherfolk from Arbroath and they tell me that true fishermen never eat shellfish - why eat them when there is much better fish to be taken from the sea?!

However, I love shellfish so I break that rule...

To get rid of most transient nasties in shellfish you just need to let them get it out of their system. Most shellfish will survive for a bit in fresh water so take what you've gathered and place in a bowl of clean water and leave it for a while. My dad adds a sprinkling of Reddy Brek to get them eating clean grub too - might just be his mad theory though.
To be extra safe you can change the water once or twice.

Pollutants such as heavy metals will not be cleared out quite so easily so be careful where you harvest from. I will also stay away from places that have an unusually dense or concentrated population as that suggests an unnatural source of nutrients.

If you're down at the beach though, why not take a beachcaster and get some fishies!

Cheers,
Neil

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
And is castnet fishing legal in the UK? I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing it here.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I believe it is the food standards agency that monitor shelfish fhishing in the uk under an EU directive
Their shelfish page is here should be of interest to you all it seems to cover all area of the UK
clasifed areas, band areas and species

Ed is correct best source of info are the locals but as most of us arn't coast dewellers the above site is a good place to start.

FYI ED some area are tested weelky by the FSA it apears and one of them is Wales

hope this helps

James

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Cheers slasher ;) Thats a great link mate.
I should have made myself clearer.... I was talking about testing the water quality done by the EA and the local water board who only check water quality a couple of times of year, they then classify places on saftey for bathing, fishing and shellfish gathering and quote toxicity amounts for that period. I didn't even think the FSA would check all areas, I thought they checked the shellfish and areas that are used for commercial purposes only.

Thanks again for that link
;)
Ed

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
gregorach said:
And is castnet fishing legal in the UK? I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing it here.
Sorry - to clarify I meant a rod designed for beach casting.
I've not caught mackerel from the shore - mainly sole. But then I'm not a seasoned beach fishermen...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE