Avoiding shellfish poisoning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Pappa said:
Does anyone know that saying? Something like, "Only collect shellfish in months with an R in". In other words, not in May, June, July or August.

Pappa

Yeah, I'd heard that. Not really taken it on board before though...

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
ilovemybed said:
Sorry - to clarify I meant a rod designed for beach casting.
I've not caught mackerel from the shore - mainly sole. But then I'm not a seasoned beach fishermen...

As a non-car-owner, a fishing rod is beyond what I'm prepared to include in my kit. ;)

Anybody know about castnets in the UK? I reckon I could squeeze one of those in.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Kane said:
Can you catch mackeral from the beach?

Kane

Absolutely. Use feathers which come in allsorts from plain white to coloured or silver glittery types. They ususally come in strings of six and it is perfectly possible to pull out 6 mackeral all in one go. The idea is that when wet they resemble the small sand eels that mackeral go after and the silver lures just flash in the sun and attract attention. Mackeral are predators and will give you a good bit of sport on light tackle. You have to hit the shoal though and they'll move on quickly so just wait for the next lot to come along. Beachcasting and sea fishing in general are my other passions and I've been doing it since I was 8 years old and I lived in Exmouth. Can't get to the sea as often as I'd like to these days. Pollack, bass, flounder, plaice, mackeral etc can all be caught easily from the shore. You'll be looking for sandy bottomed estuaries for the flatties though. If you don't want to take a rod there are a couple of options available. Either a telescopic rod and small fixed spool reel with a few hooks, weights, lures in a small box or a crab/handline. these are very cheap or you could make your own from wood with some braid line. When I go beachcasting in the Exe estuary I always throw out a handline too and invariably I pull in a few flatties to add to the catch. Excellent fun

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I've been thinking about adding some fishing tackle to my kit - handline could be a solution. I've never actually fished in my life, but I guess you've gotta start somewhere...

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
gregorach said:
Yeah, I remember seeing that on the RAF survival episode of Extreme Survival.

I'd still like to know more about shellfish poisoning though - there's gotta be a reason why limpets aren't regarded as good food. OK bait though... ;)

Yep there certainly is a reason why limpets aren't regarded as good food.... Thay tase like 25 year old,. salty, bath mats. They really do taste pretty fowl. But in a real survival situation I guess they are a relativlely safe source of protein which is easily gathered.

Don't expect to find them in any of the seafood restaurants though.

Cheers,

Tony

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
http://www.sepa.org.uk/data/shellfish/map.asp

follow this link to the sepa website. it shows areas in scotland which are protected for shellfish culture and harvesting.

i assume theres a similar program in place over the rest of the uk. there was a big scare regards red blooms in 1999 but not much since then.

l76

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE