Making a UK legal Crayfish Trap (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm in the process of applying for a licence to trap crayfish in my local area so I decided to make myself the first of my traps.

First of all I will say that there are very strict requirements regarding the trapping crayfish within the UK. You may not trap crayfish without permission from the landowner and a licence issued by the Environment agency. On the application form you must state that the dimensions of your trap and that it complies with the requirements laid out in the application form. There is also other information you need to supply on your application such as where and when you intend to trap, what species of crayfish you intend to trap and the reason for trapping them.

If your application is successful then you will be issued a licence tag for each of the traps you intend to use and these have to be fixed to the trap when they are being used.

Another requirement that you must do including filling out a form listing the total number of crayfish and species trapped during the duration of your licence.

Further information can be found in a very useful leaflet entitled "Using the right trap: A guide to Crayfish trapping." issued by the Environment Agency and can be found here.

If you wish to apply for a licence the application form can be found here.

These are the dimensions of a trap that is legal within the UK

Additionally the mesh size cannot be more than 30mm at its widest point.

So first of all you need a roll of mesh, a pair of wire cutters and a load of cable ties

As the mesh is 100cm across I cut a length 60cm long off the roll

I then formed it into a tube 30cm across ensuring that the edges overlapped by 2 squares to for a good seal.

Once the main body of the trap had been formed I needed to make 2 cones to fit in each end. To make these cones I made a semi circle with a radius of 32 cm from a piece of thing fibreglass rod and cut the mesh off at each point the arc crossed. I also measure 2 squares in from the straight edge so I would have an overlap when forming the cone.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the semicircle of mesh after cutting it out before forming into a cone. When creating the entrance for the crayfish to go through you must make it not greater than 95mm so you don't accidently trap an otter. So to be safe I made a couple rings 90mm across and fitted that to the cone as you can see in the second picture.

Once the cone has been formed it has to be fitted to the main body which, to say the least, is fun as it has a tendency to fall in and catch on the main body.

It was then fixed in place using a lot of cable ties so there weren't any gaps anywhere. Once you've fitted one cone you get to repeat the fun on the other end...

After fitting the cones you need to cut a door so you can get the crayfish out

As the mesh I was using was a bit flexible I reinforced the edge of the entrance with wire so there was no give in that area.

I then cut a door out of spare mesh and fitted it, again reinforcing it with wire to ensure a good seal

Once the door was mounted I then fitted a simple wire catch which was bent around the mesh to lock it in place

After the catch I now have one trap ready for when I get my licence and enough spare mesh to make a second :)

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I have noticed quite a few crayfish traps are circular, I just wondered if it might be an improvement to make a 'D' shaped one so the flat part sits on the bottom of the water, in effect making it easier for the crayfish to find it's way in as a bigger area is covered on the ground contact (bottom of lake/river), just a thought that's all, perhaps regulations don't allow for D shaped traps.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have noticed quite a few crayfish traps are circular, I just wondered if it might be an improvement to make a 'D' shaped one so the flat part sits on the bottom of the water, in effect making it easier for the crayfish to find it's way in as a bigger area is covered on the ground contact (bottom of lake/river), just a thought that's all, perhaps regulations don't allow for D shaped traps.

There are D shaped traps available and are UK legal, but tbh from what I can tell they don't make much difference as the crayfish can easily climb into a cylindrical trap as a D shaped trap

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tunnel traps like that one work well. Very nice build.
BTW, is there any size limits (like crabs) or bag limits for total catch?
Here it's wise to keep a scruffy sort of a log as Fish&Wildlife might send you a random questionnaire.
I like to fill them in accurately as input for the game management process.

For example, daily limits here are 10 each of Ruffed, Franklin's & Dusky Grouse. 60 for the season.
I forget what the bags for ptarmigan are.

But before you get too carried away, what can you learn about the water quality where you will trap.
Any mercury-based seed treatment fungicide still leaching out of local farm soils? I ran into that with crays.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Tunnel traps like that one work well. Very nice build.
BTW, is there any size limits (like crabs) or bag limits for total catch?
Here it's wise to keep a scruffy sort of a log as Fish&Wildlife might send you a random questionnaire.
I like to fill them in accurately as input for the game management process.

For example, daily limits here are 10 each of Ruffed, Franklin's & Dusky Grouse. 60 for the season.
I forget what the bags for ptarmigan are.

But before you get too carried away, what can you learn about the water quality where you will trap.
Any mercury-based seed treatment fungicide still leaching out of local farm soils? I ran into that with crays.

No size or bag limits on trapping signal crayfish as all caught have to be removed and destroyed because they're an invasive species over here.

As for water quality the EA will only allow licences for consumption of trapped crayfish from waters that are deemed safe for that purpose.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Those Signal crays are an invasive, introduced species that needs diligent work to be on as many tables as possible.
I would love to come over and help (being terribly fond of crays.)
You're lucky = we see the occasional warnings in fishing regs, like "don't eat more than a dozen once a month . . . . "

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Nice job Steve. I went for the lazy option and bought a trap but applied for two traps so in the future I can get another. Only trouble I had was I applied in october and didn't realise the crayfish lay dormant for winter.

The other bit I found annoying with the application was that you have to state the trap dimensions but I didnt see the point in buying one if I wasn't going to be granted a licence and also you have to specify the location you intend to fish and I know claws have been found round here but it isn't a massive river and im not sure if the claws could have washed down stream.

Apparently the best bait is a tin of macral pierced a few times with a knife and chucked in the trap, then the bait can never be removed or exhausted.

Good luck with your catch. I'm going to need it lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE